Professional Wrestling: Irish War Painting II

Samsaptakas

I actually watched an episode of Raw for the first time in months, because everyone said it was a marked improvement. And it was pretty good actually, still some poor stuff, but alright. Them weirdly fumbling around commercial breaks is very odd, the Kanelis stuff was peak Vince, this Wild Card rule has to go, and I'm not sure if you knew this but Becky and Seth are in a relationship! Worried for the Street Profits, just because I like them and call ups seem to be getting shafted.

But AJ heel turn especially was good, and the Tron getting smashed up was silly fun. And this 24/7 nonsense is charming, and I'm so excited to see Spud getting to express himself properly.

• 2 weeks later...

Raw was much more of a mixed bag this week but Smackdown elevated itself KO was on fire and the stunner still gets a huge pop. Hopefully the rumours that KO and Shane are going to fued leading to Shane moving back into a background role are true. Love or hate Roman that dive to the outside always looks awesome.

Pretty big weekend coming up with 2 nights of NJPW, AEW on Saturday and Extreme Rules Sunday. Looking forward to some more g1, the first night was pretty good last weekend and Will Osprey is becoming must see for me, plus Zach Sabre cut an awesome promo after losing last week saying basically screw the g1 all I have to do for a title shot is beat Okada, so really looking forward to that one.

AEW have got a pretty good looking card shaping up, I feel like the shorter turnaround for shows has lead to slightly less hype for fight for the fallen. SCU and Luchas should be great, the same for bucks v rhodes and I always enjoy Omega. Can't wait to see what Jericho and MJF do as they are looking like the big heels of AEW to start out.

Extreme rules will be what it will be, it could be a banger PPV but there are a few spots that worry me, especially the raw titles match. I think Lacey and Baron need to be binned off and sent down the card, 4-5 minutes with Becky and Seth pinning their respective opponent at the same time, then get them into separate storylines.

Glad Owens has gone Face again. It doesn't really makes sense, given how he turned on the New Day, but that was dumb anyway so... Folk love him, and his skills on the mic are off the charts, he's got everything a Tweener champ needs.

Imagine, if you will, him taking on AJ, but this time with the roles reversed.

• 2 weeks later...

Man Austin is still a damn superstar, there is no pop like the one from a wwe crowd when the glass shatters and he is still great on the mic. The big problem is how does the wwe build stars now, they were once great at it, 20 years ago you had Austin, hhh, rock, taker, kane, Foley, angle. Since then it's been Orton, Cena and Batista and really Cena is the only one that gets a big pop and none of those guys came up in this decade.

Not sure this episode did much for the current roster, sure it was cool to put Rollins over with dx but it came at the expense of the club who have just reformed. I did like Bray Wyatt using the mandible claw on Mick Foley though that was very cool 

The irony of Moxley suffering his first defeat in NJPW against Yano in the most sports entertainment match you will likely see in the G1 is pure NJPW booking. Yano has beaten Naito, White and Moxley so looking at the way this is going the last night will come down to those 4 and hilariously if Yano ends up equal top with any of them he wins the block.

Moxley probably loses the next 2 and has to face Juice on the final night of the G1 which I think will cost Moxley a shot at the final and set up Juice to win back the US title. I think the B block could end up more interesting on its final night than A block which I think will come down to Ibushi and Okada.

It was an awesome match and it drew me in right to the end but looking at the results so far Okada kind of had to lose here if they are going to take it to the final night in this block. Same as Moxley needed to lose to Yano for that block to get exiting at the end. It's really interesting watching how this is being booked, because it's NJPW and not wwe booking I feel like I can invest in the story they are telling

• 2 weeks later...

So just saw WWE is putting on a NXT show on USA Wednesday nights to go head to head with AEW on TNT.  Not sure how I feel about that.  Glass half full, it will help emphasize that the NXT way of doing things can draw a continually growing and loyal fanbase.  Glass half empty, Vince will ruin NXT.

Sucks that Moxley isn't able to go at All Out, but PAC is probably the best replacement they could've fallen back to. No quick sellouts for the Pittsburgh and Charleston TV yet like the major markets did for their weekly TV when they went on sale. I don't think it's a cause for concern as it is probably just leveling out now that every AEW show isn't a one-off event like they have been, but maybe it'll give some perspective for those who think AEW is some unstoppable juggernaut that can do no wrong. It's going to be a process, but they are definitely on the right track. I think the last wrestling event I went to was a Smackdown when I was in college in like 2002, but kicking around going to see AEW here at the Pete in October. 

• 1 month later...