Professional Wrestling: Irish War Painting II

Samsaptakas

I watched a bit of AEW.  Saw the spot where Moxley put Omega through a table.  It was nice hearing JR again and everything, but I don't see it.  Sure I sound like an old man saying this, but during the attitude era there was a certain intensity among the performers that is just not there now.  Moxley and Omega might as well have walked to that spot and been like "ok, here we go."  I dunno, color me unencouraged.

11 hours ago, DMC said:

I watched a bit of AEW.  Saw the spot where Moxley put Omega through a table.  It was nice hearing JR again and everything, but I don't see it.  Sure I sound like an old man saying this, but during the attitude era there was a certain intensity among the performers that is just not there now.  Moxley and Omega might as well have walked to that spot and been like "ok, here we go."  I dunno, color me unencouraged.

Honestly, I think AEW would have been better off going against Raw on Mondays.  WWE countered them expertly with NXT, which is a better version of what AEW wants to do and is already established and filled with indie stars.  

NXT also has a deep enough roster to not feature the same guys every week and still put together compelling cards, which keeps everyone fresh.

9 minutes ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

Impressive, though I expect the ratings to even out in the coming weeks.

Yeah, same.  I'm not really surprised AEW won this week.  They're the exciting new program.  

But NXT is just really damn good and I think, like you, that it will even out over time.  NXT is just so expertly run.  The entire card feels important, which is showcased by the fact that next week has marquee matches that feature no one who wrestled this week.  The roster is loaded, which I think is something you can't really say about AEW right now.  

And that's totally understandable.  AEW is an upstart, so it's going to take time for them to flesh out the roster with talented guys like NXT has.  NXT is every bit as talented as the WWE main roster, and potentially more talented.  Guys like Gargano, Cole, and Ciampa are some of the most talented wrestlers in the business.

How the poisonrana can exist in this day and age of the concussion and worrying about quadraplegics, i don't know.   It takes me right back to the days of the full piledriver of Paul Orndorff and associates.   Only more dangerous looking.   

My amateur opinion of AEW was it looked amatuer, like a shinier Impact, as in something I'd normally spend 30 seconds on before changing the channel, if not for all the current business drama making it interesting enough to stick through the premiere.    I see why the Bucks are a big deal now, and the women's championship made me feel something I must admit.   Jericho is moving slow these days.   But he's like everyone's dad, so you give him a pass. 

So, the Rock is here to save Kofi, must be, and perform the hollywood banishment witchcraft that will remove Brock from the roster, hopefully.    After that, though, and after seeing Sasha in a cage on the cheap, I'm done.    This week was special but I don't got the time for this constant wrastling.

10 minutes ago, The Mother of The Others said:

How the poisonrana can exist in this day and age of the concussion and worrying about quadraplegics, i don't know. 

It's one of those moves that looks way worse than it actually is.  Basically the wrestler taking it just rolls their back along the back of the person delivering it and effectively does a backward somersault.  They're not actually landing on their head even though it always looks like that.  Which is why it's such an effective move.  It looks brutal but it's not really that bad.

Thank you, Kofi.

His title win at Wrestlemania this year was one of the very few moments in wrestling where I teared up, knowing how monumental and relatable it was seeing a black man win the top title in the company, and then be booked solidly while champion. I'm forever grateful for having witnessed his journey.

Finally watched AEW this morning. Good show, but NXT was far and away better imo. I didn't much care for the main event of AEW either. Taking Omega out of a match like that to further his story with Moxley didn't seem the right move when they could've showcased him in the ring more for the casual fans tuning in. Omega/Moxley already has all the heat it needs.

1 minute ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

What happened, yo?

They ended a hell in a cell match with a disqualification while the crowd booed and chanted for their direct competition that just debuted on TNT last week.  Apparently after the show ended the crowd stuck around after the lights came on to continue booing and chanting for refunds.

Well i am kinda tired already of the spooky sound that plays over and over when he attacks.    They can't keep going with that for much longer, can they?  (Fast forward two years to when he's still doing the same schtick.)

Sasha played the role of Mick Foley tonight, only with chairs in place of thumb tacks.    Bummed.    Also, i was kinda sure the hugger would come out from under the ring at some point.  Oh well.  Decent violence anyways.

Not much quality stuff apart from that, though.

Edited by The Mother of The Others

So WWE once again shot themselves in the foot. It was obvious what the outcome of the main event should've been, but now the mystique and momentum that The Fiend had is all but gone, and Rollins is now the most hated babyface since Roman. Both came out of this fuck finish looking much worse.

• 1 month later...

Surprised no one's mentioned CM Punk's kind-of return to WWE.  Yeah, it's a Fox contract, but it definitely opens the door.  In terms of age and career trajectory, he could be a lot like HBK, who solidified being my favorite wrestler ever by coming back after a broken back and addiction to have a great old man run -- even though I wasn't really watching at that point.