Professional Wrestling: Irish War Painting II

Samsaptakas

4 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

Anyone been watching AEW? The smarks trumpet how fantastic it is, but I think NXT has been better every week. It's nice to have another alternative though and I've enjoyed both since they've gone live.

I think both shows have been really good since AEW debuted and NXT moved to two hours.  I personally prefer NXT because I've been following it for years now, but AEW is of similar quality.  

Really enjoyed the Moxley/Omega match at the PPV the other night.  Nice to see a true hardcore match like that since WWE doesn't really do them any more.  It reminded me of some of my favorite Lucha Underground matches like the three stages of hell match between Killshot and that other guy he was supposed to have been in the military with whose name I don't recall.

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched the broken skull sessions first episode with stone cold and the undertaker and it was awesome, could listen to these two guys talk for another few episodes. Can't wait to see some more of these. Seems like a better version of his podcast.

Hearing undertaker talk so openly about his career is something else, sounds like he has a whole lot of stories stored up for the future

On 11/16/2019 at 9:45 PM, briantw said:

I think both shows have been really good since AEW debuted and NXT moved to two hours.  I personally prefer NXT because I've been following it for years now, but AEW is of similar quality.  

Really enjoyed the Moxley/Omega match at the PPV the other night.  Nice to see a true hardcore match like that since WWE doesn't really do them any more.  It reminded me of some of my favorite Lucha Underground matches like the three stages of hell match between Killshot and that other guy he was supposed to have been in the military with whose name I don't recall.

Dante Fox

I've been enjoying AEW but NxT is still the best show for me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just when WWE have Roman getting cheered for the most part they have him eliminate edge from the final 3 of the rumble. Apart from that the rumble was really good fun I actually enjoyed the first half and thought his elimination was a good decision. 

Slightly disappointed they didn't have Shayna win the women's rumble. They could also have told a good long term story if they let Becky lose to Asuka but I don't think anyone was really expecting them to do it.

This thread has gone pretty cold but the big shows on tv have been better than average in the case of raw and really good in the case of next and aew dynamite. The only one that's really lagging atm is smackdown. If anyone missed it look up Jerichos entrance during the week. Aew was filmed on the Jericho cruise on the ship. Jericho using his bands song Judas as his theme was sung to the ring by the crowd even after the music was cut they kept singing, was quite a moment.

I'd heard a bit about the rumors of Edge returning, but haven't been even following online much the past few months.  So I was very surprised when I read the Rumble results that Edge not only returned but ended up in the final four - and that he's apparently signed a 3 year contract so it looks like he'll be one of their "special attraction" occasional performers.  I mean, I'm happy for Edge if this is what he wants, but dude's 46, the neck injury(ies) that forced him into retirement sounded very serious, and Beth Phoenix and him have two small daughters.  I dunno, just hope this ends up a happy ending but really worried for the worse.  Even more so than Bryan.  I can't imagine Edge needs the money, right?

Anyway, like how they gave Drew McIntyre the win - and the honor of eliminating Brock.  Hopefully they really do run with him, I might toon in if so.  Also, while from the recap I read said this year's women's rumble was a considerable improvement from last years, bit disappointing to see Charlotte win.  Or maybe just boring.

Yeah I heard him talk about his neck somewhere 6months ago when the rumours started he may be able to wrestle again. He wrestled like he wasn't worried about it and hit the spear at least 5 times and you wouldn't do that if you were worried about a neck injury. Think he has been heavily into stem cell treatments, looked really good to be fair he and Orton had some good interactions.

The shock in the crowd when "you think you know me" came over the speakers after the buzzer was great and the pop was massive, he looked overwhelmed to be getting his entrance and competing again.

Charlotte winning the women's rumble was the only real down spot of the women's rumble for me, just very predictable and boring and the finish had her hanging of the ropes and Shayna instead of dropkicking her through the ropes like her character would have done in NXT, walked over and obviously set up the spot and she did it twice. It felt like the first little slice of Shayna being taken away by poor main roster booking. TLDR Shayna should have won the rumble and I'm butthurt it was Charlotte haha.

I actually hated how they did the rumble last night with Brock at #1. He was obviously just going to eliminate people as they came in, and that's exactly what happened. I thoroughly enjoyed the second half of the rumble once Brock got eliminated however, and McIntyre was a great choice to win. The women's rumble was entertaining, but the ending was rather weak. Flair makes sense because I don't think Bazler can come in and go right into the main event just yet. Banks would've been the other option, but she wasn't even in it. Decent show overall. I don't even watch Raw or Smackdown anymore, just NXT when I have time. That show is tits.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/25/2020 at 11:13 AM, The BlackBear said:

So not really been watching much American stuff, but been keeping up with New Japan since late last year; Holy shit the New Japan Cup looks great:

Fuck you COVID-19, all events from 1st to the 14th of March cancelled.

On a funnier note: Any of you see SSD? Because I have seen twitter losing it's mind. :lmao:

7 minutes ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

After watching the latest episode of Dynamite, I think more wrestling companies should do weigh in segments, it's fresher than the contract signing segments that's been done since the 90s.

I've always wondered why WWE doesn't do more to make some of their matches have that "big fight" feel like UFC manages.  I mean, it might not make sense for, say, the Fiend, because he's the sort of character that shouldn't be subjected to the sorts of things that make him seem normal.  But for a match between, say, Brock Lesnar and Drew McIntyre it'd make a ton of sense. 

Just read the results from WWE's most recent Saudi show.  It's getting beyond parody or absurd at this point, which I'm not sure there's even a word for.  You have two title matches that last a combined 3 minutes and 40 seconds, and Bill Goldberg and Brock Lesner are your champions going into Wrestlemania in 2020 - after they were booed out of MSG for being quitters upwards of 15 years ago at Wrestlemania in which Austin picked up a pay check pretty much simply by flicking them both off.  Oh, and Taker came back and apparently won a "special trophy" match in 5 seconds by burying AJ Styles even though he was never a participant.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Just read the results from WWE's most recent Saudi show.  It's getting beyond parody or absurd at this point, which I'm not sure there's even a word for.  You have two title matches that last a combined 3 minutes and 40 seconds, and Bill Goldberg and Brock Lesner are your champions going into Wrestlemania in 2020 - after they were booed out of MSG for being quitters upwards of 15 years ago at Wrestlemania in which Austin picked up a pay check pretty much simply by flicking them both off.  Oh, and Taker came back and apparently won a "special trophy" match in 5 seconds by burying AJ Styles even though he was never a participant.

That presumed Reigns/Goldberg match at Mania is going to get absolutely shat on by the crowd.  Gonna be hilarious.

Hangman page is now so over that the crowd were booing the young bucks before the match even started. The story they are telling between Page and the elite is fantastic. I've only watched up to the women's title match of revolution so far but the men's tag title match is probably my favourite tag match I've seen, they completely had me with the one winged angel sequence. Omega has arguably worked 2 of the best matches of the year so far this week.

Worked my way through Revolution, I liked it generally. Didn't particularly care for the Hager/Goldust match or the Nyla/Statlander one, they felt both a bit off the pace. I did enjoy the Orange Cassidy match, but it did end fairly anti climatically.

Moxley will do well as champ, he's still NJPW's US champ also which is odd, since he can't compete for them in the US.

I'd like to see the Bucks go full heel. They kind of dick around being half heels, but I want them to go all in (that was unintentional) on it.

Speaking of heel move's: Cody's tattoo. :ack:

So anybody wanna put odds on Wrestlemania being cancelled/postponed?  It's in Tampa, and I think it's getting pretty likely WWE will be forced to by local officials.  Vince is gonna choke somebody.

5 hours ago, DMC said:

So anybody wanna put odds on Wrestlemania being cancelled/postponed?  It's in Tampa, and I think it's getting pretty likely WWE will be forced to by local officials.  Vince is gonna choke somebody.

He might be happy to hold it in an empty stadium so no one can boo Reigns.  :lol:

• 2 weeks later...