Professional Wrestling: Irish War Painting II

Samsaptakas

So if any of you are interested Okada's bizarre KOPW2020 tournament title thing, ((which btw they still haven't said exactly what KOPW stands for (one assumes King of Pro Wrestling)) has now put the first round up for the fan vote. https://twitter.com/njpwglobal

So each wrestler proposes a stip, then the fans vote. They are:

Kojima - Finishers only

El Desperado - No Finishers

Yano - 2 Count Pinfall

BUSHI - 5 Count Out

Okada - 1 v 3 Handicap

Yujiro - Lumberjack, with Leather Belt Death Match

Sho - Submission Match

Sanada - Forgot to / Didn't realise he had to propose a stip, and just kind of accepted a submission match

The whole thing is extremely odd, especially coming from New Japan. It sort of feels like Okada is trolling all the workrate guys, and I love it.

Edited by The BlackBear

Anyone hear about what happened to Sonya Deville yesterday morning/Saturday night:

A South Carolina man who stalked a 26-year-old WWE star for years and spent eight months planning to kidnap her was arrested Sunday after breaking into her home near Tampa, sheriff's officials said.

The cops are saying he cut a hole in her in a screen to enter her patio then posted up for 3 to 4 hours just watching and listening.  Fucking creepy!  Glad everyone's alright.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

WWE Network ending in March.

All content has been purchased by Peacock Network.  They say they will continue with live events and that you can have ad supported content for $5/month or ad free for $10 (WWE is at $10 currently).  I have to wonder if they really plan to keep PPVs free on the service though.

My son loves watching all the monthly PPVs, so I guess Peacock it is for us...

1 minute ago, Rhom said:

WWE Network ending in March.

All content has been purchased by Peacock Network.  They say they will continue with live events and that you can have ad supported content for $5/month or ad free for $10 (WWE is at $10 currently).  I have to wonder if they really plan to keep PPVs free on the service though.

My son loves watching all the monthly PPVs, so I guess Peacock it is for us...

My brother pays for the WWE network, so I believe he will probably just switch over to the Peacock once the change goes into effect.

One thing I hope they do is move RAW and Smackdown  replays to Peacock and actually show them in their entirety.  I dislike the way Hulo currently chops them up.

Just now, Fiddler said:

My brother pays for the WWE network, so I believe he will probably just switch over to the Peacock once the change goes into effect.

One thing I hope they do is move RAW and Smackdown  replays to Peacock and actually show them in their entirety.  I dislike the way Hulo currently chops them up.

I haven't watched the replays anywhere.  We usually either DVR them or watch them live.

The fact that the PPVs are all included and that I can watch virtually any match/PPV in history is amazing to me.  I hope NBC doesn't mess with it.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

So the article says NBC is paying them $1 billion a year.  That math does not work out.  Good for Vince I guess.

Yeah.  I don't get it.  Other than the fact that it is the live entertainment model they are chasing.  :dunno: 

Last I saw Vince was at the Undertaker Farewell thing a couple months back.  He was looking rough.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

Whoops, yes, yes it does.  Even still!

Yeah I still question the viability of the move but I guess I can kind of see it from the perspective that it's a brand new streaming service that probably not a lot of people are signed up for and they've suddenly snatched up a huge chunk of WWE Network subscriptions by offering those people the exact same amount of content they're already getting plus a whole lot more non-wrestling content for the same price, or even less with ads.  

They may also win back people who stopped their WWE subscriptions.  Hell, I might sign up for the ad version if NXT Takeovers are still included.  There are some other shows I like on Peacock like AP Bio that would make it worth it even though I don't watch much wrestling any more outside of NXT.

• 6 months later...

Been watching AEW week to week and I gotta say, enjoying week to week wrestling again is great. It's not perfect but it's a breeze of a show that fits real well into my schedule.

And in the interest in seeing if this thread has any life in it still thought I'd throw out some random thoughts on the last show:

Spoiler

Hangman is over like rover, so that result really caught me by surprise. No idea where it goes from here.

PAC, Fenix, Penta / Andrade are all must see matches for me.

The Proud and Powerful / FTR match was great, up until that injury, hopefully he's ok.

The crowd love Britt, I think she's still a heel, but the crowd don't care. She needs a proper feud.

I personally don't particularly care, but everyone has convinced themselves CM Punk is going to appear, and they are hinting at it so strongly, if he isn't there there are going to be riots.

Hikuleo just does nothing for me, he's tall and his dad (adopted I think) is Haku, don't mean shit if you can't wrestle.

Cody / Malakai Black also does not interest me.

Miro is great: 'two things inspire me in life, a Vengeful god and a double jointed wife' :lol:

Love Jurassic Express, seems like they're till going to milk Christians presence for a little while before his inevitable heel turn.

Varsity Blondes similarly are a good stable but: Julia Hart ? I think it's her real name, but why on earth would you use that name in wrestling?

Easily my biggest criticism of AEW is their treatment of the women. One women's match on the card, and it's a by the numbers match with a 19 year old rookie, add that too the pathetic build to pretty much every women's title defense, it's a real problem.

And the main event... sigh. Painmaker is not as over as Jericho thinks it is, that match was never going to be too extreme simply because it's airing on tv, so even if I cared for the whole blood and lightbulb shit (I don't) that just simply can't live up to even the most basic hardcore match. Absolutely should not have been on last.

Frist half of the show, far better than the second half.

AEW has a real opportunity if they got Bryan and Punk.  That's close to NWO type shit in terms of changing things.  Do not get how Vince would let Bryan walk, but he's been that dumb before.  Didn't catch on to this until recently, but I suppose that could get me interested.  At least for a couple weeks.

Bryan wanted to wrestle dream matches with guys outside WWE Vince was never going to allow that so when his contract expired he didn't sign a new one. 

Jericho is still the big name and they will milk him as much as they can until he has had enough and goes properly on tour with fozzy.

Hangman looks great with his fully embracing dark order and looks like he belongs as their leader. That entrance was awesome.

The problem with the women's division on dynamite is they have so much that jumps off the screen that the women's division has a lot more work in progress type competitors. Britt is super over but sometimes the work doesn't back it up. Thunder Rosa signing full time with aew will help lift the division. There is the other shows they put out each week as well where they do use a lot more of the women's division.

I was always a bit meh when it came to punk but he was big when I was taking the least notice of wrestling and I understand how huge it will be if he does return.

WWE has been pretty bad outside Lashley and Reigns although seeing Cena get a massive pop when he returned at money in the bank was cool and a bit of a sign that there isn't really a big star that's a face in the company atm.

11 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

I have heard it theorised that wwe don't really want stars to get too big anymore, because they're worried they'll do what the Rock and Cena have done, piss off to Hollywood. I can't imagine Sasha appearing in the Mandalorian helped that fear. 

Shit, I did not even realize that was Banks in Mandalorian.  I'm very disappointed in myself!

I could see the McMahons coming to that conclusion, but it doesn't make it any less stupid.  The WWE left a lot of money on the table when Rock left, yeah, but Cena stayed long enough so him now being a "special attraction" with Hollywood cachet probably helps make more money than if he remained as the stale top face for another few years.