Professional Wrestling: Irish War Painting II

Samsaptakas

7 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I always wonder in moments like this if the new parent company realizes that they bought something and should therefore let it do what made it so valuable and desirable to begin with, or can they just not help themselves to go in and F it up?

I didn't really follow Mania much, but the most worrisome thing I read is that while Triple H was in the Gorilla position, Vince was literally right next to him and not shy about sharing his feelings.  If that's the case, doesn't seem like much has changed at all.

4 hours ago, DMC said:

I didn't really follow Mania much, but the most worrisome thing I read is that while Triple H was in the Gorilla position, Vince was literally right next to him and not shy about sharing his feelings.  If that's the case, doesn't seem like much has changed at all.

So I haven't watched Mania yet, but most of the comments I've seen from wrestling fans who have were positive.  The ending of the main event seems pretty universally panned, but everyone loved night one.

Edited by briantw

1 hour ago, briantw said:

So I haven't watched Mania yet, but most of the comments I've seen from wrestling fans who have were positive.  The ending of the main event seems pretty universally panned, but everyone loved night one.

Right.  Mania seems to have been good.  Not sure why they had Reigns win, but otherwise....

That's pretty much my point.

I don’t understand having Lesnar demolish Cody last night.

I assume they are working on a proper build up for him to challenge Roman again.  His injury denied them that possibility last year.  From a narrative standpoint just didn’t seem to make a ton of sense though. :dunno: 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I mean if wrestling was real he'd kind of demolish everyone, right?

Didn't Kurt Angle hand his arse to him in a real wrestling match backstage back in the day?

Edited by BigFatCoward

14 hours ago, briantw said:

Mania was excellent both nights.

I guess I'm one of the few happy with the main event. Cody is terrible.

• 2 months later...
On 6/17/2023 at 3:46 AM, Teng Ai Hui said:

Several loud pops to end Smackdown.  This storyline is the only interesting thing going on in WWE at the moment.

My son and I were there in Lexington.  (In the official clip of Jey kicking Roman, you can see us both with our mouths open.  :lol:)  It was a great crowd and while I lament Roman being a part timer, it does make things must see TV when he does show up.

• 2 months later...

I'll post it here. As a kid and young teen, I used to watch wrestling devotedly -- WWF, NWA, WCW -- and I remember fondly some of the crazy, colorful characters. One particular bunch sticks in my mind, because they were one of several family dynasties -- the Funks. So I was saddened to learn that Terry Funk had passed away yesterday, at the age of 79. He had an amazingly long career, spanning like five decades. Checking Wikipedia, it was bittersweet to learn that his wife, Vicky, had passed before him in 2019... after 53 years of marriage, which is incredible if you know the stories of so many wrestlers who have disastrous personal lives.

He made a few appearances in film and television, as well, most notably being his turn as a bouncer in the Patrick Swayze film Road House. My friend Sean Collins wrote an essay about Funk as part of his essay-a-day-for-a-year series on Road House.

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Another wrestling loss. Bray Wyatt has died. Only 36. 

Saw that last night.  Really sad, there were so many rumors about a possible return.

I've not seen anything reliable saying what he died of.  He wasn't a small man and wrestlers live a hard life, so its hard to say.

• 4 weeks later...

I enjoyed almost all of Smackdown last Friday when it was in Denver.  Ms. Teng even watched it with me for a couple minutes during the opening segment.  Also, I'm curious how long Becky Lynch will stay in NXT.

This weekend, I watched the first 2 episodes of a Netflix docu-series called Wrestlers about OVW.  I'm really rooting for Al Snow to succeed.

Edited by Teng Ai Hui

On 8/24/2023 at 12:14 PM, Ran said:

I'll post it here. As a kid and young teen, I used to watch wrestling devotedly -- WWF, NWA, WCW -- and I remember fondly some of the crazy, colorful characters. One particular bunch sticks in my mind, because they were one of several family dynasties -- the Funks. So I was saddened to learn that Terry Funk had passed away yesterday, at the age of 79. He had an amazingly long career, spanning like five decades. Checking Wikipedia, it was bittersweet to learn that his wife, Vicky, had passed before him in 2019... after 53 years of marriage, which is incredible if you know the stories of so many wrestlers who have disastrous personal lives.

He made a few appearances in film and television, as well, most notably being his turn as a bouncer in the Patrick Swayze film Road House. My friend Sean Collins wrote an essay about Funk as part of his essay-a-day-for-a-year series on Road House.

Terry Funk was insane.  I remember some of the bumps that man took during the Attitude Era when he was already old as hell.  I always enjoyed his Chainsaw Charlie persona when he tag-teamed with Cactus Jack.

10 hours ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

This weekend, I watched the first 2 episodes of a Netflix docu-series called Wrestlers about OVW.  I'm really rooting for Al Snow to succeed.

I was going to plug the show as well.  It was directed by the same guy who did Last Chance U and Cheer.

Matt Jones, part owner of OVW and the guy who pitched the concept of doing Last Chance U but with wrestling, is the owner of Kentucky Sports Radio.  I listen just about every day.  So while those cameras were following them around, they were talking about it on the radio show and now this week they have been talking heavily about the docuseries now that it’s out.

It is getting rave reviews from all corners, not just wrestling fans.

On 9/18/2023 at 4:08 AM, Rhom said:

I was going to plug the show as well.  It was directed by the same guy who did Last Chance U and Cheer.

Matt Jones, part owner of OVW and the guy who pitched the concept of doing Last Chance U but with wrestling, is the owner of Kentucky Sports Radio.  I listen just about every day.  So while those cameras were following them around, they were talking about it on the radio show and now this week they have been talking heavily about the docuseries now that it’s out.

It is getting rave reviews from all corners, not just wrestling fans.

I finished watching Wrestlers. It definitely deserves all of those rave reviews. My favorite episode was the 5th episode that focused mainly on Hailey J and her mother.