Professional Wrestling: Irish War Painting II

Samsaptakas

Sounds like Bryan may be done (again).  Hard not to assume he has another head injury now that they're canceling dates for him.  Oh well, at least he got a pretty good swan song - don't go to AEW and risk it man!

9 hours ago, DMC said:

Goldust just turned 50.  I don't think him fighting his baby brother again is what WWE is missing.

I think you missed my point.  What WWE is missing is stories with emotion and history.  If you watch the video above, Goldust cuts a great promo that outlines the problems he and Cody have with each other and it really makes you want to watch the match.  It's just a good bit of wrestling hype, the kind of stuff WWE doesn't do well any more.

It reminded me a lot of the training video NXT made for Gargano/Cole where it showed Cole training at these expensive facilities in Florida while Gargano went back home to Cleveland and trained at the places he trained at when he was just starting out in the business.  It told the story of who both guys were while also outlining the differences between them and also completing Johnny's face/heel/face character arc that has been ongoing for almost two years.

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

Can't come soon enough.

Yup.  WWE has damn near killed my interest in wrestling.  I can't see how this could possibly be worse than Raw or Smackdown.  Basic competence would be a massive improvement over the WWE product outside of NXT, which has thankfully remained untouched by Vince's hands.

I'll give AEW every chance as I want it to build into a viable alternative. That people on the interwebs are already calling it direct competition to WWE is ludicrous. The only WWE product I'll watch are the NXT's presently. That said, I wonder how long it takes before the egos start getting in the way. Having the top talent run the show may not be for the best once the booking begins, but that's just my opinion. Here's to hoping they do it right.

• 2 weeks later...

So AEW kicked off with a bang. A buffet of pro wrestling as Cody put it. Not much to complain about through the card. The women's four-way was probably the weak point but still enjoyable. The tag team matches were all really good and I was pleasantly surprised by the 6 woman tag match with a bunch of Japanese wrestlers I had no idea about.

As with All In the ppv built through its run right to Moxley coming through the crowd as Jericho cut a promo on the crowd. My personal highlight out of a show of them was Cody vs Dustin from Cody's entrance to the two hugging in the ring after the match, kind of knew it was coming but still hit me right in the feels.

Yeah, had to watch it over the course of two days due to timezones.

But it was a damn good show, standouts for me were Cody/Dustin (holy shit that was a lot of blood,) and SCU vs the Chinese guys.

I'm not nearly as impressed by Jericho, as Jericho seems to think we all are, but whatever, he's the big name star.

Jack Whitehall was an odd appearance, but then FUCKING BRET HART! It's a lovely belt.

The Bucks aren't really my type (enjoyable but not too special,) but the Lucha Brothers are incredible.

For a first (I kind of think of it of the second though) PPV it's a great start.

Really looking forward to Moxley cutting loose (have you seen his after show promo?,) Hangman getting a push, more good Tag Team matches. Also super happy to see Jimmy Havoc up there.

Jericho is still pretty good but he isn't on Kenny's level like he thinks he is, he is the biggest / most recognised name in AEW though and I really enjoyed his entrance.

If this show is what we will see with regards to tag team wrestling in AEW then all the better. I havent seen a whole lot of the bucks but enjoy them and that spotfest they had with the Lucha brothers was awesome, especially liked Fenix jumping around on the ropes and taking out both the bucks and the brainbuster he took onto the top rope was insane.

It's such a sign of where WWE is right now that Brock using the mitb briefcase as a boombox is the highlight of the show

17 hours ago, DMC said:

I do wonder how long CM Punk can hold out on the appeal of saying fuck you to Vince and Paul by going to AEW.

Personally, I think he's already on board and will appear at the end of their next PPV or the first night when their show airs on TNT.

25 minutes ago, briantw said:

Personally, I think he's already on board and will appear at the end of their next PPV or the first night when their show airs on TNT.

Yeah, lots of chatter out there that he's gonna debut at All Out, but just seems to be the typical IWC conjecture and "evidence" from what I've seen.  We'll see, hope so!  Seems like the perfect opportunity, so I'm sure AEW is trying their damndest.