Jump to content
Samsaptakas

Professional Wrestling: Irish War Painting II

Recommended Posts

So, who watched Sweet Saudi Blood Money 3: Oilbellum? I heard that the finish to Goldberg vs Undertaker was botched.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

So, who watched Sweet Saudi Blood Money 3: Oilbellum? I heard that the finish to Goldberg vs Undertaker was botched.

I checked in for the main event, as that was about when I got home from work and I wanted to see if Goldberg would accidentally kill Taker.  Turned out he did, but only after Taker almost accidentally killed him with that botched tombstone.  

As for the finish, it seemed like it was supposed to be a tombstone reversal but Goldberg just fell down.

But yeah, that match went about how I expected.  I only tuned in because I wanted to see just how bad it was and it did not disappoint.  Also kind of hilarious to see these guys get gassed after about a minute in the ring. 

Taker needs to hang it up.  He's just embarrassing out there at this point and it's really hurting his legacy.

Edited by briantw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, briantw said:

I checked in for the main event, as that was about when I got home from work and I wanted to see if Goldberg would accidentally kill Taker.  Turned out he did, but only after Taker almost accidentally killed him with that botched tombstone.  

As for the finish, it seemed like it was supposed to be a tombstone reversal but Goldberg just fell down.

But yeah, that match went about how I expected.  I only tuned in because I wanted to see just how bad it was and it did not disappoint.  Also kind of hilarious to see these guys get gassed after about a minute in the ring. 

Taker needs to hang it up.  He's just embarrassing out there at this point and it's really hurting his legacy.

They both should've retired years ago, but I guess the Saudi blood money is too good to turn down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't watch it, but heard it was terrible. There's footage out there of Goldberg collapsing outside the ring after the match. It's terrifying stuff, both guys need to be done, the problem is will either want their final match to be in Saudi?

 

It took a damn long while, but I finally cancelled my Network subscription. It hardly makes a difference but I don't want to support what they're doing.

 

I'm clearly in the minority here, but I couldn't care less what Punk does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

Didn't watch it, but heard it was terrible. There's footage out there of Goldberg collapsing outside the ring after the match. It's terrifying stuff, both guys need to be done, the problem is will either want their final match to be in Saudi?

I mean, Undertaker has been a broken shell of himself for about four years now.  If he has another match, it's likely going to suck just like his last five to ten matches have sucked.  All he's doing by continuing to go out there and shit his pants in the ring is damaging his legacy.  I think he came back after his Reigns match because that one was so bad that he couldn't let it be his last match, but every match since has been as bad or worse.  He just can't go in the ring any more.

They should have had Wyatt end him the year after the streak ended instead of burying Wyatt at the height of his popularity, but that's WWE for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah Taker needs to stop, I really don't get it with him.  I mean, why does he need the money?  Just stop.  With Goldberg, I get that if WWE is gonna give him a bunch of money for minutes of work, why the fuck not?  But he needs to stop too.  Accept that you're too old (*stares at Triple H angrily*).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, DMC said:

Yeah Taker needs to stop, I really don't get it with him.  I mean, why does he need the money?  Just stop.  With Goldberg, I get that if WWE is gonna give him a bunch of money for minutes of work, why the fuck not?  But he needs to stop too.  Accept that you're too old (*stares at Triple H angrily*).

I can only imagine it's loyalty to Vince.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally getting around to watching the best matches from NJPW Dominion from this past weekend.  

The Ospreay/Lee match is incredible.  Highly recommend watching it if you enjoy lucha-style wrestling.  Will Ospreay is a ridiculously talented in-ring guy.  He's every bit as good as Ricochet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saw All Out sold out in 15 minutes.  Perhaps they should have sprung for a larger venue - the Sears Centre appears to have a capacity of around 11-12,000.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point I'd say the sell-out buzz is worth more than actual ticket revenue. Hindsight's a lovely thing, but there's merit to being cautious, the market for AEW is still very unclear.

 

It's magnified in contrast to WWE's poor sales for Stomping Ground (originally backlash, until they realised it'd look like Saudi Arabia Backlash...)

Also here in the UK, they're (WWE) trying to run an NXT-UK show in Cardiff on August 31st, when not only is there a New Japan show in London, but there is a Wales/Ireland Rugby World Cup warm up game in Cardiff. Hotel prices are already through the roof.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't, if they coulda sold out the United Center (~23,000 capacity), which that result suggests they probably would have, feel like that woulda generated more buzz.  But yeah of course it's hindsight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The marks are going to show up for these AEW shows while they're still only one every few months, so the quick sellout isn't super impressive to me the third time around as it's expected for the venue size. I'm cautiously optimistic for how they're rolling out, but they need to get away from this war with WWE bullshit and focus on their product and building a base for it beyond the hardcore fan. I'll wait and see how they're doing at this time next year when the shine has worn off and their shows are weekly before I pass judgement. I think I may very well spring for All Out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will say that WWE's strategy of making their product worse than ever in the wake of their first real competition in twenty years is pretty fucking bold.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello and welcome to 1999. What's that you say they are working for Vince and it's 2019. Hopefully this brings some big changes, the crowds really need to be more invested in the stories, it always makes a match better when the crowd is making noise for what they are watching rather than basically protesting the company.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'd think senility would be good for wrestling, because it's kind of like Vince is returning to childhood again, and kids are a big demographic for WWE, so as Vince gets more in tune with that childlike perspective, it should give us a second golden era.   No?  That's not how it's playing out.   

I'm realizing Sasha was a huge part of why I was watching again.   The femme tag division is abortive.  There was more tag action Before. The Lass coming to Seth's rescue was the first time I've really cheered for her in a while.   And the rest of the show is just taken up with dudes.  Dudes?   Really?  I ain't got time for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just read Vince hired Heyman and Bischoff to be the "executive directors" of Raw and Smackdown, respectively.  Why didn't Triple H tell him, "hey Vince, it's not 1998, they're not the competition anymore, you're not hiring them away from anything?"  Although jokes aside I'll always be in favor of Heyman being involved more in creative.  But Bischoff?  Really?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some interesting stuff so far on this AEW show. The feed, however, is fucking horrible on BR Live.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×