What happened to the Dragons between riders?

Jen'ari

I'm currently only a little way through Fire & Blood but this has been bugging me a bit, for example we know Maegor rode Balerion after Aegon the conquerors death but what happened to him after Maegors death and before Viserys I rode him?, and what happened to Vhagar after Visenya died and before Laena Veleryon rode her?, did they just mooch about on Dragonstone?.

54 minutes ago, Lord Sidious said:

I'm currently only a little way through Fire & Blood but this has been bugging me a bit, for example we know Maegor rode Balerion after Aegon the conquerors death but what happened to him after Maegors death and before Viserys I rode him?, and what happened to Vhagar after Visenya died and before Laena Veleryon rode her?, did they just mooch about on Dragonstone?.

They can survive just fine without need of a human.  They took a long vacation.  

28 minutes ago, Aline de Gavrillac said:

They can survive just fine without need of a human.  They took a long vacation.  

No ones disputing they can survive and thrive without a rider, I'm more curious about what they did and how they returned to be ridden many years later.

As they were both around before the dragonpit, I'd assume they were able to roam freely wherever they wished, did they stay on Dragonstone?, did they fly away?, it's really unclear what happened to them between riders.

I did find it mildly irritating that we don't get any information on when specific dragons were hatched as well.  

Most of the dragons beyond the original three (Balerion, Meraxes, Vhagar) just appear in the narrative when first mounted by their rider.

Just now, Arataniello said:

I did find it mildly irritating that we don't get any information on when specific dragons were hatched as well.  

Most of the dragons beyond the original three (Balerion, Meraxes, Vhagar) just appear in the narrative when first mounted by their rider.

The author of F&B (I do not mean George but rather the fictional historian) never knew.  Cannibal and Sheepstealer were already nesting on Dragonstone before the Targaryens took the island.  The Targaryen dragons hatched on their own and the exact dob may not be known precisely.  The eggs were fresh and they hatched without need for a human to make a sacrifice.  

5 hours ago, Lord Sidious said:

I am also part of the way through Fire and Blood. Some of the context later on suggests that they are kept in a dragon den or cavern on Dragonstone. They don't seem to be locked in however, so maybe their meals are brought to them so they don't ravage the nearby country. Dragonstone is probably ideal to keep dragons because it is an isolated island, and the dragons can venture out and eat fish if they get bored.

I don't want to spoil it for you, so read a little further and you'll get to a part where you'll learn more about what Balerion's doing after Maegor's death.

15 hours ago, Scythia said:

I am also part of the way through Fire and Blood. Some of the context later on suggests that they are kept in a dragon den or cavern on Dragonstone. They don't seem to be locked in however, so maybe their meals are brought to them so they don't ravage the nearby country. Dragonstone is probably ideal to keep dragons because it is an isolated island, and the dragons can venture out and eat fish if they get bored.

I don't want to spoil it for you, so read a little further and you'll get to a part where you'll learn more about what Balerion's doing after Maegor's death.

I think I may have now reached that bit.

Spoiler

Is it with Aerea Targaryen being friendly with the dragons and Balerion and Vhagar being there?.

I was wondering the same thing! Guess I'll find out when I get a little further along in Fire&Blood. That being said, I imagine they performed various tasks and challenges in order to level up during the down time...

Archived