NFL 2018 V: The Packers Win With A Loss While The Cowboys Lose With A Win

Bronn Stone

3 hours ago, Bronn Stone said:

The condition of that field, in a relatively new stadium, is an abomination.  That was not an NFL quality facility yesterday.

16 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Have you seen FedEx field? The NFL has no quality regarding playing surface.

I agree that the playing surface was to blame, but I think the NFL actually likes the unpredictability of inconsistent surfaces, just like dome vs. open, frozen north vs. balmy south, turf vs. grass.  Snow games are some of the most fun to watch but they can only happen in a subset of stadia. 

So ultimately the teams have to be prepared for the conditions, and that would have included extra long cleats for the Seahawks. 

I stand by my previous statement.  And I do NOT think the NFL wants surfaces that are hazardous.

The problem with the "extra long cleats" solution is that the field had a huge patch between the hashmarks that had entirely different turf from the rest of the field.  Unless players are going to stop and change shoes in the middle of a play, no cleats suffice.  The long cleats were hazardous on the more worn portions of the surface and the short ones inadequate in the patch.

4 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I agree that the playing surface was to blame, but I think the NFL actually likes the unpredictability of inconsistent surfaces, just like dome vs. open, frozen north vs. balmy south, turf vs. grass.  Snow games are some of the most fun to watch but they can only happen in a subset of stadia. 

So ultimately the teams have to be prepared for the conditions, and that would have included extra long cleats for the Seahawks. 

Teams carry around giant crates full of cleats on the sideline. I think Osi Umenyora once said the trainers kept four pairs of cleats for him at every game. But longer cleats are useless if they just get packed with loose sod and grass.

18 hours ago, Triskele said:

And damn if the Eagles aren't whooping LA in LA with Foles.  Now Dallas is only up a game on Philly and Washington.  

This is Nick Foles’ world and Carson Wentz is just doing the early grunt work for him. 

The biggest surprise about the Rams losing again is that this time they did establish a strong running game with Gurley in the first half (which the Bears had stifled all game), and they were playing against a depleted secondary.  That loss at home is a much bigger worry for the Rams than getting closed down in Chicago. 

1 minute ago, Bronn Stone said:

I stand by my previous statement.  And I do NOT think the NFL wants surfaces that are hazardous.

The problem with the "extra long cleats" solution is that the field had a huge patch between the hashmarks that had entirely different turf from the rest of the field.  Unless players are going to stop and change shoes in the middle of a play, no cleats suffice.  The long cleats were hazardous on the more worn portions of the surface and the short ones inadequate in the patch.

No argument from me on the problem facing players.  You get that problem in soccer all the time below the elite level.  The playing surface might not drain evenly in rain and you have to decide on which cleats, knowing that long cleats on the portion that isn’t mud/flood could wrench your knee or ankle as you cut or turn.  I even played on all-weather soccer fields in Seattle that were made of packed sand: you could run from a region of damp, firm sand into a sudden patch of soft sand that would sprain your ankle.

But the NFL doesn’t seem too bothered about it yet, even with the game highlights showing Seattle defenders looking like Bambi on ice. 

36 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

The biggest surprise about the Rams losing again is that this time they did establish a strong running game with Gurley in the first half (which the Bears had stifled all game), and they were playing against a depleted secondary.  That loss at home is a much bigger worry for the Rams than getting closed down in Chicago. 

The Rams aren't going to win unless Goff starts looking less like rookie Goff again and more like top five QB in the NFL Goff like he did earlier this year.

8 minutes ago, briantw said:

The Rams aren't going to win unless Goff starts looking less like rookie Goff again and more like top five QB in the NFL Goff like he did earlier this year.

Hey, look, just what I can here to talk about.

Jared Goff has never been a top five QB. Goff is neither a top ten QB, and he may not even be a top 15 QB. Since the Chiefs-Rams mainline cocaine of a football game, Goff has posted the worst passer rating in the NFL. Jared Goff is not a good QB. Sean McVay is simply a god-like play caller, and that only gets you so far come playoff time. It's why I think the Rams, Chiefs and Bears all needed to be a little worried, because those schemes won't be so otherworldly when the pressure is on. 

50 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Teams carry around giant crates full of cleats on the sideline. I think Osi Umenyora once said the trainers kept four pairs of cleats for him at every game. But longer cleats are useless if they just get packed with loose sod and grass.

Your ponies are back! 

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Jared Goff has never been a top five QB. Goff is neither a top ten QB, and he may not even be a top 15 QB. Since the Chiefs-Rams mainline cocaine of a football game, Goff has posted the worst passer rating in the NFL. Jared Goff is not a good QB.

I don't know if you watched the same game I watched last night, but in the one I saw, Jared had between zero and zero-point-zero-five seconds to throw the ball before Fletcher Cox threw one of his linemen at him.  Agree he's probably not top 5, but much closer than you seem to think.  His play improves dramatically when his protectors are not being used as projectiles by his opponents.

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Hey, look, just what I can here to talk about.

Jared Goff has never been a top five QB. Goff is neither a top ten QB, and he may not even be a top 15 QB. Since the Chiefs-Rams mainline cocaine of a football game, Goff has posted the worst passer rating in the NFL. Jared Goff is not a good QB. Sean McVay is simply a god-like play caller, and that only gets you so far come playoff time. It's why I think the Rams, Chiefs and Bears all needed to be a little worried, because those schemes won't be so otherworldly when the pressure is on. 

Right, but my point was, there was a time this season when, statistically, he was playing like a top five QB.  Doesn't mean he was ever actually a top five QB, but he was sure as hell playing like one.

For what it's worth, though, I wouldn't trade Baker Mayfield for him.  Baker's arm is just too good in a league that's all about passing.

9 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

I don't know if you watched the same game I watched last night, but in the one I saw, Jared had between zero and zero-point-zero-five seconds to throw the ball before Fletcher Cox threw one of his linemen at him.  Agree he's probably not top 5, but much closer than you seem to think.  His play improves dramatically when his protectors are not being used as projectiles by his opponents.

Jared Goff has a top 5 arm, and a bottom 5 brain. Again, he grew up in California, he went to school in Cali, and he got drafted by a team on the coast, AND HE DIDN'T KNOW THE SUN SET IN THE WEST!!!!!!! That's some world class, major league stupidity. 

Jared Goff is good if his first read is open, and he's trash if he needs to move on to his second or third read. I feel confident saying that all the good QBs in the league would be amazing in that system, and that all the average ones could probably replicate what Goff is doing. 

12 minutes ago, briantw said:

Right, but my point was, there was a time this season when, statistically, he was playing like a top five QB.  Doesn't mean he was ever actually a top five QB, but he was sure as hell playing like one.

For what it's worth, though, I wouldn't trade Baker Mayfield for him.  Baker's arm is just too good in a league that's all about passing.

And that was when Gurley also looked like an MVP candidate. Gurley makes Goff, Goff does nothing for Gurley, and when Gurley is injured as he is now, Goff reverts to what he really is. 

And yes, there is no universe in which I would take Goff over Baker. 

WHAT?

HOW?

I CAN’T BELIEVE IT!!!

OMFG!!!!!!

I was up 40 points with Cam………..and lost in the semifinal of my money league. Yahoo said my chance at winning was greater than 95%. This is a scandal!!! There needs to be an investigation. WITCH HUNT!!!!!

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

WHAT?

HOW?

I CAN’T BELIEVE IT!!!

OMFG!!!!!!

I was up 40 points with Cam………..and lost in the semifinal of my money league. Yahoo said my chance at winning was greater than 95%. This is a scandal!!! There needs to be an investigation. WITCH HUNT!!!!!

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

That was a TERRIBLE interception.  Low and flat to a covered guy in the end zone when your receiver had a significant height advantage.  Cam just isn't right these days.  He's never been a super "Xs and Os" guy, but made up for it with amazing physical skills.  He must really be hurting.

This week has two really big games that are hard to predict.  Texans @ Eagles and Chiefs @ Seahawks.  The Texans are 10-4 and have the "just lost to Washington" Jags at home in week 17, so this is their last competitive game.  If they win here, they probably cement the #2 seed, which would be great because it means the Patriots don't get a bye, and I'm always in favor of things being harder for the Patriots.  They're playing against the zombie Eagles team that just keeps coming back to life after their abysmal start.  A loss virtually eliminates Philly, but they're obviously talented, desperate and playing at home. Both D lines have a big mismatch, the question will be which coach can make the most of that matchup. 

The Seahawks are currently in the #5 spot, and inexplicably lost to SF last week, which removed any margin for error.  The Eagles and Vikings are within reach, and at the moment the #5 spot looks a lot more appealing (@ Dallas with the nonexistent home field advantage) than the #6 spot, which will be @ Chicago, which isn't appealing to anybody. The Chiefs on the other hand have fallen from seemingly having the #1 seed on lockdown to potentially losing the division crown to the Chargers.  I'm sure that Chiefs fans are getting flashbacks of yet another year that starts strong and ends without a playoff win. 

I know I'm rooting for Houston and KC, but I'm not sure I really favor them.  Maybe the Chiefs can put it together with their mini-bye, but the Seahawks are a bad matchup for a team that struggles against the run.  I think I give the Eagles and Seahawks a slight edge at home, but they should both be good games.  

I was really worried I was going to spend the offseason kicking myself for starting Baker Mayfield over Cam Newton in a match I only lost by six (primarily because Keenan Allen got hurt on the first possession of the game and laid a goose egg).  Guess that won't be happening.  Would have lost by fifteen if I'd started Cam.

Archived