Why do we not hear of Targyen parents marrying their offspring?

Varysblackfyre321

Probably because it never really happened historically, and we know GRRM drew a lot from history.

The best example of close incest are the ancient Egyptian pharaohs. They married brother and sister all the time (Cleopatra married both her brothers), but I don't think they ever married father/daughter mother/son.

7 hours ago, LucionLannister said:

Probably because it never really happened historically, and we know GRRM drew a lot from history.

The best example of close incest are the ancient Egyptian pharaohs. They married brother and sister all the time (Cleopatra married both her brothers), but I don't think they ever married father/daughter mother/son.

Only in Greek mythology have I heard of parents and children coupling, and not even Zeus went that far. It was only the entities of Earth (Gaia) and Sky (Uranus) who did that.

1 hour ago, Canon Claude said:

Only in Greek mythology have I heard of parents and children coupling, and not even Zeus went that far.

Plus, really bad things happened to those who did. The parent-child relationship is too intimate for, you know, intimacy. Craster did it, and apparently with his grandchildren, too - but he doesn't come off as a person to emulate, or anyone to respect.

16 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Like correct me if I’m wrong(that wouldn’t be new), but we don’t really hear of Targyen fathers or mothers expressing a sexual/romantic  interest in their son or daughter. Why do you think that is? 

Why would we hear of such a thing? There is no hint that was something Valyrians in general or Targaryens in particular every practiced. 

16 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Like correct me if I’m wrong(that wouldn’t be new), but we don’t really hear of Targyen fathers or mothers expressing a sexual/romantic  interest in their son or daughter. Why do you think that is? 

Wild thought here: Because it didn't happen.

19 hours ago, LucionLannister said:

Nice

They married brother to sister to preserve the dragon abilities.  It's not because of mutual attraction.  

On 12/4/2018 at 12:18 PM, Bael's Bastard said:

Why would we hear of such a thing? There is no hint that was something Valyrians in general or Targaryens in particular every practiced. 

I just thought thought it a little odd given they purport to not actually having any sort of boundaries in these sort of things. And I could see where father-daughter marriages could be seen by a Valaryian family in a certian context as being logical. For instance if the father is not privy to any other female relatives to enlope with or the daughter has no close male kin. 

On 12/3/2018 at 10:52 PM, LucionLannister said:

Reasonable answer. 

On 12/4/2018 at 7:56 AM, zandru said:

Plus, really bad things happened to those who did. The parent-child relationship is too intimate for, you know, intimacy. Craster did it, and apparently with his grandchildren, too - but he doesn't come off as a person to emulate, or anyone to respect.

How did Craster marry his daughters anyway? He lays claim to be a godly man, yet I always interpreted that to mean to worship the others; did he marry his daughters in front of the hearth tree?

On 12/4/2018 at 6:50 PM, Enuma Elish said:

Nice

They married brother to sister to preserve the dragon abilities.  It's not because of mutual attraction.  

Meh, there is a clear mutual attraction that seems to develop most of the time even with the possibility their kids having the ability to tame dragons as not being there. And I wonder if the brother-sister truly entails being able to ride dragons or merely being able to ride “specific dragons. Like dragons are like to outlive their master it would do well if that dragon could sense its deceased master’s presence in that of his or family, rather than run the risk of being co-opted by some random Valaryian. If all Valaryians have the proper blood that grants them the ability to ride dragons, it seems Brother-sister marriages wouldn’t be needed for that purpose alone-Valaryians should be able to in effect marry Valaryians outside their family and not run the risk of losing the “purity” they have to ride dragons. 

On 12/4/2018 at 6:50 PM, Enuma Elish said:

Nice

I don't think that's true. There's several examples of Targaryens marrying siblings because the wanted to.

Aegon the Conquerer was said to have married Rhaenys (as his second wife) out of love. And of course Jaehaerys II went against his parents wishes to marry his own sister.

9 hours ago, LucionLannister said:

I don't think that's true. There's several examples of Targaryens marrying siblings because the wanted to.

Aegon the Conquerer was said to have married Rhaenys (as his second wife) out of love. And of course Jaehaerys II went against his parents wishes to marry his own sister.

True. But then you have to put that into the context of not growing up in an environment where that behaviour is taboo, so for them it’s like falling for a childhood friend I guess

On 12/8/2018 at 2:21 AM, HelenaExMachina said:

True. But then you have to put that into the context of not growing up in an environment where that behaviour is taboo, so for them it’s like falling for a childhood friend I guess

But it’s not just the environment: Jaerys Targyen, as a boy witnessed half of the country rise up against his family over their inchest, Two of Aegon V’s kids got hitched despite Egg himself saying his family’s tradition of inchest is wrong.  

On 12/5/2018 at 3:50 AM, Enuma Elish said:

Nice

Rather to make sure that siblings with dragons didn't start killing each other for the seat of power. And there were Targ siblings who married one another out of mutual attraction.

Archived