Etiquette for a powerful guest

Jaak

A guest said, in response to rather impolite words of her host

Spoiler

you may find she is not as forbearing as her mother. Oh, and I wish you luck if you should try to "see off" the Black Dread. Balerion quite enjoyed your brother, by now he may desire another course.

King and lords were allegedly "appalled". Myles Smallwood, a Hand famed for his courage and also failure as Hand, and a mesne Lord (Smallwood is a Lord, but a bannerman of Vance), uttered the words:

"Is she mad, to speak so to a lord in his own hall? Had it been me, I would have had her tongue out." The writer claims that Jaehaerys took issue with Myles´ word, but not his point.

Well, dragons were a rare and new thing in Westeros... but guests who could come back with hundreds and thousands of horsemen and torches were neither so rare nor new. If King´s Peace had blunted the threat of coming back with guest´s own armies, it did so by increasing the prospect that the guest might get justice from King or overlord and come back with King´s armies.

So what´s the etiquette for a guest who really could return with an army? How openly could the possibility be discussed when meeting under your enemy´s roof to try to settle matters before swords did come out?

I take the entire thing there as Smallwood's (and even Jaehaerys I's misogyny).

Rhaena didn't threaten Lord Franklyn, she just pointed out that her daughter and her dragon might be, well, less forgiving than she was to him. That she treated Androw the way she did doesn't seem to be an insult, either, the man was a murderer who was punished accordingly.

It is very unlikely that Smallwood and Jaehaerys I as men in Rhaena's situation would have spoken in a similar manner - and then nobody would have seen an issue with that behavior.

13 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

It is very unlikely that Smallwood and Jaehaerys I as men in Rhaena's situation would have spoken in a similar manner - and then nobody would have seen an issue with that behavior.

What was Jaeharys' tune of "Rains of Castamere"? Tywin does not ride a dragon, and neither does his daughter, but...

6 minutes ago, Paxter Redwyne said:

She gave his corpse to her dragon, but that didn't change anything. He was already dead. By definition you can't really punish lifeless object.

But that was done in medieval/ancient times. And it is still done today when you desecrate a corpse. It is the whole point of doing that, actually.

15 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

But that was done in medieval/ancient times. And it is still done today when you desecrate a corpse. It is the whole point of doing that, actually.

Yes, but that didn't change that he was already dead. She couldn't make him more dead. I am arguing more about definition.

1 minute ago, Paxter Redwyne said:

Yes, but that didn't change that he was already dead. She couldn't make him more dead. I am arguing more about definition.

Well, in a medieval setting animals were also tried by courts and sentenced to death, and desecration of bodies was part of certain death sentences - when you are quartered, for instance, so this difference in such a setting is more fluid than in our world.

I think what she said to Rogar was more of a threat than this in a Lord's home. She was bang out of order pulling the man by his beard and shaming him infront of his son and retainers. This was more of a fact if they Area and Balerion did show up and Area can't control him then yea goodbye house Faraman.

Archived