The Citadel

Lady Rhodes

I posted a thread last week inquiring Euron being in Qarth. I have found myself puzzled about Euron - why introduce him so late in the game? What purpose does he serve? To show us yet again another example of evil people? I also found myself quite puzzled with Oldtown, Citadel, and a Faceless Man there. What is going on? After discussion and further research, I think I have linked some differing points together to figure out what is going on in Oldtown.

1. Euron is Urrathon Night-Walker, who has a house in Qarth.
I believe Urrathon Night-Walker, who in Qarth has glass candles burning in his house, is really Euron Greyjoy's home base when he is not sailing Silence.  If he has been exiled from the Iron Islands, he presumably has a home base somewhere, and we have enough intel to gather that he has Pyat Pree, which means, at a minimum, he was near Qarth. Urrathon is also the name of a disgraced Ironborn king, who won a kingsmoot under duplicitous means, and Urrathon is also vaguely alluded to during an Asha chapter in Dance.  If we take this to be true, then:

2. Euron, The Citadel and the Faceless Men are all intertwined.  
First, if Euron = Urrathon, he has a glass candle.  We know that Euron is a collector of Valyrian artifacts, so this is not beyond possibility that he could have a glass candle.  We also know that glass candles can cause the user to give visions to others (we learn this from a Sam POV in Feast), and we have reason to suspect that is how Aeron has visions (possibly enhanced by Shade of the Evening) and how Dany received visions by Quaithe.  Dany has a dream about an army of ice that she bathes in dragonfire along the Trident.  She awakens to Quaithe telling repeating a prophecy to her.  Glass candles seem to be associated with Quaithe and with Euron.  There is another place the has a glass candle - the Citadel.
Now, if Euron has a glass candle, what could be his reason for wanting another? I don't think he wants it for himself - I think he is getting it for someone.

Second, we know that a Faceless Man is impersonating a novice named Pate at the Citadel, and that he wanted a key to a door/room that is not readily accessible.  I think he, too, is trying to get the Glass Candle.
We know that Euron and the Faceless Men have some sort of relationship - he hired them to kill Balon.  What was the price of that?  Was he hired to get a Faceless Man out of the Citadel once a glass candle was stolen?  To create a distraction so that the theft could occur?

So, the big question here really ends up being: who wants a glass candle?

My three guesses:
1. The Faceless Men themselves
2. The Three Eyed Crow
3. Melisandre

Thoughts?

I'm not 100% about Euron's motive, but I think the Faceless Man wants the "Blood and Fire" book, otherwise known as "The Death of Dragons". 

It would make sense, since the Faceless Men where created during the time of Valyria, and the Valyrians only got so strong because they had dragons. Now that there are three new dragons in the world they might be taking precautions in case Daenerys decides to attack Braavos. 

Euron might also want this book to either kill a dragon, or it might hold other secrets about dragons also. 

13 minutes ago, King Aegon I Targaryen said:

I'm not 100% about Euron's motive, but I think the Faceless Man wants the "Blood and Fire" book, otherwise known as "The Death of Dragons". 

It would make sense, since the Faceless Men where created during the time of Valyria, and the Valyrians only got so strong because they had dragons. Now that there are three new dragons in the world they might be taking precautions in case Daenerys decides to attack Braavos. 

Euron might also want this book to either kill a dragon, or it might hold other secrets about dragons also. 

I was hoping you'd reply!  We had some good conversation before.  I have heard this theory before and it is certainly possible.  However, they were created by slaves and Braavos as an anti-slavery colony.  While you may be correct that they are skeptical of three dragons, they also are seeing her stamp out slavery across Slaver's Bay, something that I am sure they aren't unhappy about.

Alternatively, you could say that the Faceless Men are after one thing but that Euron is still after the Glass Candle.  Perhaps he is getting it for someone - one of the three?

35 minutes ago, Lady Rhodes said:

Second, we know that a Faceless Man is impersonating a novice named Pate at the Citadel, and that he wanted a key to a door/room that is not readily accessible.  I think he, too, is trying to get the Glass Candle.

Maybe he’s trying to get a certain book... 

16 minutes ago, Lady Rhodes said:

While you may be correct that they are skeptical of three dragons, they also are seeing her stamp out slavery across Slaver's Bay, something that I am sure they aren't unhappy about.

I think they are mostly just using it as leverage, just in case Daenerys ever does try and attack Braavos. Her father was a relatively good King in his youth, and we all now how that eventually turned out. 

But hey, I'm not suggesting he isn't going after a Glass Candle, after all if Euron does succeed in conquering Oldtown he can take whatever the hell he likes. The only reason I see someone like Euron going after a Glass Candle is because he doesn't like the idea of someone else having access to these candles. If Euron is indeed going for Godhood, then other people having these candles, which can show people visions, could undermine the legitimacy of his claims. 

45 minutes ago, Lady Rhodes said:

However, they were created by slaves and Braavos as an anti-slavery colony.  While you may be correct that they are skeptical of three dragons, they also are seeing her stamp out slavery across Slaver's Bay, something that I am sure they aren't unhappy about.

Well, we do have the KM telling Arya that maybe the first FM evah was the “son” of one of the ruling Valyrian families. My head canon is, this is true, and this first FM was a Targaryen ancestor. 

ETA: 

“Who was he?” Arya blurted, before she stopped to think.
“No one,” he answered. “Some say he was a slave himself. Others insist he was a freeholder’s son, born of noble stock. Some will even tell you he was an overseer who took pity on his charges.”

20 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Well, we do have the KM telling Arya that maybe the first FM evah was the “son” of one of the ruling Valyrian families. My head canon is, this is true, and this first FM was a Targaryen ancestor. 

ETA: 

“Who was he?” Arya blurted, before she stopped to think.
“No one,” he answered. “Some say he was a slave himself. Others insist he was a freeholder’s son, born of noble stock. Some will even tell you he was an overseer who took pity on his charges.”

36 minutes ago, King Aegon I Targaryen said:

I think they are mostly just using it as leverage, just in case Daenerys ever does try and attack Braavos. Her father was a relatively good King in his youth, and we all now how that eventually turned out. 

But hey, I'm not suggesting he isn't going after a Glass Candle, after all if Euron does succeed in conquering Oldtown he can take whatever the hell he likes. The only reason I see someone like Euron going after a Glass Candle is because he doesn't like the idea of someone else having access to these candles. If Euron is indeed going for Godhood, then other people having these candles, which can show people visions, could undermine the legitimacy of his claims. 

The book is a valid thought. I am only suggesting that glass candles are brought up quite frequently and one happens to have miraculously been lit at the Citadel.

i have a larger theory that I am trying to put together but I feel like I am missing something. The short points of it are that the faceless men’s God of Many faces and the great other are the same entity. (There is a Victarion chapter where Moqorro calls the drowned god a thrall to the great other and it reminds me of Arya with the faceless men and their altars to the various gods. I think Euron is working to become something with the Others and the faceless men but I can’t quite figure out all of it

29 minutes ago, Lady Rhodes said:

The book is a valid thought. I am only suggesting that glass candles are brought up quite frequently and one happens to have miraculously been lit at the Citadel.

i have a larger theory that I am trying to put together but I feel like I am missing something. The short points of it are that the faceless men’s God of Many faces and the great other are the same entity. (There is a Victarion chapter where Moqorro calls the drowned god a thrall to the great other and it reminds me of Arya with the faceless men and their altars to the various gods. I think Euron is working to become something with the Others and the faceless men but I can’t quite figure out all of it

I don’t think the FM will ever ally w/ the WWs, nor that there’s any type of link between them. 

Their motto, “all men must die” aligns them w/ the CotF, who represent nature/“neutral”. Nothing quite as unnatural as not dying, and coming back from death is actually even worse! 

3 hours ago, Lady Rhodes said:

So, the big question here really ends up being: who wants a glass candle?

My three guesses:
1. The Faceless Men themselves
2. The Three Eyed Crow
3. Melisandre

1. I don't know why the FM would want a glass candle. They don't need to cross into Westeros to steal one. I think timeline matters in this. Jaqen was in King's Landing well before Dany hatched her dragons and before the glass candled started burning. We find out about the glass candled burning after the HotU has been burned down.

Jaqen is in Westeros for other matters. He ends up in the black cells, then in the riverlands before he made his way to Oldtown. King's Landing still has the dragon skulls in the bowels of the Red Keep and Harrenhal was burned by Balerion and the immediate area around it saw some epic dragon battles and the Citadel has a book it keeps under lock and key.

2. The Three Eyed Crow is plugged in the matrix. He has no need for a glass candle. 

3. Melisandre doesn't even know that dragons have returned to the world. And she is more focused on what's going on with Stannis and the Wall. And we had her POV. 

The Citadel has three glass candles and I think the Hightowers must have one as well. 

ETA - I don't know if it counts for you, but Euron was mentioned in the appendix of AGoT and introduced on page in Clash of Kings, Theon I. We formall meet him in AFFC, but he is present in the Theon chapters in ACoK.

1 hour ago, Lady Rhodes said:

I think you are right to try to examine parallels. It is clear that GRRM uses echoes, parallels, foreshadowing, symbolism and archetypes to provide hints about what might come in the plot - many posts in this forum compare the Night's King and Azor Ahai and (to a lesser extent) Nymeria to characters in the contemporary storylines, for instance. Others compare mother figures (Catelyn vs. Cersei), maidens (Sansa, Margaery, Brienne), crones (Old Nan, Olenna), etc.

The points in this thread would tell me to look for other characters readers could compare to Euron. This line from the initial post underscores this approach, to my mind:

3 hours ago, Lady Rhodes said:

I have found myself puzzled about Euron - why introduce him so late in the game?

The character does show up late in the game, but maybe the character "type" was mentioned earlier, so we are supposed to be able to make some good guesses about Euron as soon as he shows up by comparing him to others who fit his pattern. The clues I would zero in on are:

1) missing an eye

2) contentious relationship with his brothers

(There is a recent thread that makes some of these same comparisons - I am certainly not the first to see similarities in the two characters.)

Those traits are shared by the character called Brynden Rivers, also known as Bloodraven. You throw in the glass candle (magical item for seeing things that are far away or for seeing into the past and future), the Valyrian steel item, the dragon's egg, bird nickname - - these things could make the Bloodraven comparison even stronger.

Your point is well taken that Euron already has a glass candle, so you wonder why he would want another one. Similarly, Bloodraven can already "see" through the weirwood network - - yet he wants Bran Stark to somehow join in the weirwood endeavor. Is it because Bran is the younger successor that Bloodraven needs to take his place on the weirwood throne? Or is Bran a special, more gifted seer and Bloodraven wants to use him for a more magical purpose than he can achieve from his current set-up?

Maybe Bran isn't Bloodraven's goal at all, and we have been focusing on the wrong traveler all this time - - Hodor, Jojen and Meera also travel to Bloodraven's cave. Bran might be the equivalent of Pate the pig boy, so focused on Rosie that he doesn't see what's about to happen with this stranger in the alley.

Or maybe Bloodraven needed the combination of Bran with his fellow travelers in order to achieve his true goal.

If Bloodraven is a parallel (and source of clues) for Euron, what are the other parallels in the Bloodraven / Euron arc that could tell us whether Euron has goals similar to Bloodraven's goals? Euron wants to marry Dany (he says) because he wants to control her dragons and to gain the legitimacy of marrying a Targ heir. That doesn't seem like anything we have seen or heard from Bloodraven in the ASOIAF novels, but TWOIAF told us that Bloodraven wanted to marry his beautiful half-Targ sister, Shiera Seastar and she refused him. In The Mystery Knight, Bloodraven (like everyone else at the wedding tournament) wanted a dragon egg. As far as we know, Shiera didn't marry anyone, but she was also desired by Bloodraven's half-Targ brother, Bittersteel. That seems like a match for the Euron / Victarion dynamic.

An interesting angle to me is that I believe there are additional parallels with major characters in the contemporary story. In addition to Bloodraven and Euron, I believe that the Lord Commander Mormont, the Kindly Man and Petyr Baelish fit the same GRRM archetype. Aside from the fact that they are fostering key young people in the series, They all seem to have some magical abilities or insights - Jeor ensures that Jon Snow and Ghost are at the Fist at exactly the right time during the right phase of the moon with the comet overhead; the Kindly Man guides Arya through blindness and the dystopian landscape of Braavos; Littlefinger helps Sansa to be a better liar, seducer and foster mother; and to change her identity. Instead of a bowl of weirwood paste, he feeds her a giant lemon cake.

But speaking of bowls, is Pyat Pree part of the same archetype? I think so. He feeds Dany a bowl of magical stuff before she enters the House of the Undying. I also think there is wordplay on Petyr (Baelish's first name) and Pyat Pree, although I haven't examined it closely. If you can stand another parallel, I suspect that Pretty Pig is part of the same wordplay group. Is Pretty Pig a magical mentor figure? No, but I think Penny might be. I think she may be a mini extension of the Widow of the Waterfront, who has a fan that looks like leaves (hides her face), a dagger covered with runes and the gloves brought to her by Ser Jorah.

One more wordplay clue (ignore all of my posts if you don't like wordplay):

Aemon's elder brother, Aegon IV, succeeded their father, Viserys II. During Aegon's reign, Aemon remained the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, a position he held until his death.

When Naerys was accused of adultery and treason by Ser Morgil Hastwyck, Prince Aemon defended his sister's honor in trial by combat and slew Morgil.[12] This inspired many songs and furthered Aemon's renown, much to King Aegon's annoyance.

GRRM injects this single-purpose character at a critical moment when Aegon IV doubts the legitimacy of his oldest son, Daeron, and favors his bastard son, Daemon. Why introduce an obscure, seemingly unimportant knight at this critical moment in the history of Westeros? Maybe because he is and anagram clue: Morgil Hastwyck = Mighty Warlocks. The Daeron / Daemon conflict gives rise to the conflict between Bloodraven and Bittersteel, both of whom may be mighty warlocks. I think this is GRRM's name for this set of parallel characters that includes Euron, L.C. Jeor Mormont, the Kindly Man, Petyr Baelish and Penny. Maybe also Quaithe, as mentioned in the original post.

P.S. It's also possible that Euron will end up being more of a Bittersteel character, and Aeron will be the Bloodraven parallel. I suspect that Aeron secretly "crowned" Theon when he made him kneel for a new seawater "baptism" in front of the inn on Pyke. This could be like Bloodraven ensuring that Aegon V had a good upbringing away from the family circle of nutjobs and then helping him to become the unlikely heir to the throne.

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

I don’t think the FM will ever ally w/ the WWs, nor that there’s any type of link between them. 

Their motto, “all men must die” aligns them w/ the CotF, who represent nature/“neutral”. Nothing quite as unnatural as not dying, and coming back from death is actually even worse! 

This is one of the parts that I have difficulty reconciling. You have a very valid point. That said, it is interesting that both the Lord of Light priests and HoBaW priests refer to other religions as thrall or subordinate to something else. It could be a bastardized version. Euron, I feel though, is entangled with both.

58 minutes ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

1. I don't know why the FM would want a glass candle. They don't need to cross into Westeros to steal one. I think timeline matters in this. Jaqen was in King's Landing well before Dany hatched her dragons and before the glass candled started burning. We find out about the glass candled burning after the HotU has been burned down.

Jaqen is in Westeros for other matters. He ends up in the black cells, then in the riverlands before he made his way to Oldtown. King's Landing still has the dragon skulls in the bowels of the Red Keep and Harrenhal was burned by Balerion and the immediate area around it saw some epic dragon battles and the Citadel has a book it keeps under lock and key.

2. The Three Eyed Crow is plugged in the matrix. He has no need for a glass candle. 

3. Melisandre doesn't even know that dragons have returned to the world. And she is more focused on what's going on with Stannis and the Wall. And we had her POV. 

The Citadel has three glass candles and I think the Hightowers must have one as well. 

ETA - I don't know if it counts for you, but Euron was mentioned in the appendix of AGoT and introduced on page in Clash of Kings, Theon I. We formall meet him in AFFC, but he is present in the Theon chapters in ACoK.

Oh, I agree that Euron is pivotal and not out of nowhere. I specifically think he was in Qarth at the same time as Dany under the assumed names of Urrathon Night Walker (which sounds a lot like someone affiliated with White Walkers, the Long night and the Others. As for your assumption about the Faceless men, we do not know for sure that Pate = jaqen. Also your point about him being in the jails before the dragons hatched further proves my point - someone wanted something that wasn’t necessarily contingent on dragons or there was a great suspicion that dragons would be hatching. Could just be after the glass candles as a Valyrian artifact. Or the glass candles can be used for something else.

@Seams thank you for the thoughts!!

like I said, I’m trying to parse through it all but I thought I read on the Westeros wiki (on here) that Euron was exiled the same year that the Others appeared.

Euron for one was mentioned considerably earlier and has not been exiled that long from the Iron Islands to set up shop anywhere else. Not that setting shop is his gig. He has come to prominence now because the way things are are better suited to his ambitions. He doesn't care about ruling and conquering the way others are. He wants to destroy the other powers and set him self as the strongest warlord to collect tribute and raid where he will. That is why he took the Shield Islands and was basically ready to abandon them and sent off Victarion on his own. They served as a way station to gather loot, fire up the other ironborne and undermine his political rivals. Had he left with the entire fleet as he originally wanted they would have fallen back in short order.

I also think that he heard about Dany and her dragons when she was in Qarth and came to see her. He missed Dany, but came across the warlocks that were sailing to avenge her. His stash of artifacts most likely comes from them and he started to go off the deep end when he started drinking shade of the evening.

Jaqen could well have infiltrated the Citadel for the most basic of reasons. Kill someone there. And he needs unfettered access to facilitate the kill. 

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

In book 1, four things are described as being faceless: the Others, the Old gods, the Faceless Men, and a heart tree with no carving.

"Behind him, to right, to left, all around him, the watchers stood patient, faceless, silent, the shifting patterns of their delicate armor making them all but invisible in the wood. Yet they made no move to interfere."

"but the blood of the First Men still flowed in the veins of the Starks, and his own gods were the old ones, the nameless, faceless gods of the greenwood they shared with the vanished children of the forest. "

"On Braavos there is a society called the Faceless Men,"

"The heart tree was an oak, brown and faceless, yet Ned Stark still felt the presence of his gods."

4 minutes ago, By Odin's Beard said:

In book 1, four things are described as being faceless: the Others, the Old gods, the Faceless Men, and a heart tree with no carving.

"Behind him, to right, to left, all around him, the watchers stood patient, faceless, silent, the shifting patterns of their delicate armor making them all but invisible in the wood. Yet they made no move to interfere."

"but the blood of the First Men still flowed in the veins of the Starks, and his own gods were the old ones, the nameless, faceless gods of the greenwood they shared with the vanished children of the forest. "

"On Braavos there is a society called the Faceless Men,"

"The heart tree was an oak, brown and faceless, yet Ned Stark still felt the presence of his gods."

Excellent observations!

6 minutes ago, Lady Rhodes said:

@The Sleeper I disagree about Euron. He is keeping his treasures somewhere and my bet is Qarth.  In regards to the Faceless Man, the set up is very odd for a regular kill. I feel there is something more to it. 

"The Damphair turned. The hall had suddenly grown colder. The Crow’s Eye is half a world away. Balon sent him off two years ago, and swore that it would be his life if he returned." 

The Prophet, Feast for Crows

Euron had been exiled for two years. It is not feasible for him to set a base and renown in that time in Qarth. I am pretty sure his various artifacts are new too, otherwise people and Aeron in particular would recognize them. 

As for Jaqen, he might as well be going for something more. Braavos would want an answer to the threat that Dany's dragons represent and access to a glass candle would be a significant boon. As he can also communicate with it over long distances he doesn't particularly need ot steal it. But people have a tendency to overlook the obvious and Jaqen is at the end of the day an assassin. 

10 minutes ago, The Sleeper said:

"The Damphair turned. The hall had suddenly grown colder. The Crow’s Eye is half a world away. Balon sent him off two years ago, and swore that it would be his life if he returned." 

The Prophet, Feast for Crows

Euron had been exiled for two years. It is not feasible for him to set a base and renown in that time in Qarth. I am pretty sure his various artifacts are new too, otherwise people and Aeron in particular would recognize them. 

As for Jaqen, he might as well be going for something more. Braavos would want an answer to the threat that Dany's dragons represent and access to a glass candle would be a significant boon. As he can also communicate with it over long distances he doesn't particularly need ot steal it. But people have a tendency to overlook the obvious and Jaqen is at the end of the day an assassin. 

I suspect that Euron set up a base elsewhere long before his exile and it became very convenient once he was exiled. It may not have been a home base prior to that but Qarth is waaaaay further from Westeros and particularly the iron islands than Braavos, Lys, etc so it would be reasonable for him to create another home.

I see your point with Jaqen. That would make anything else he would be doing at the behest of the religion rather than a simple assignment 

27 minutes ago, The Sleeper said:

He doesn't care about ruling and conquering the way others are. He wants to destroy the other powers and set him self as the strongest warlord to collect tribute and raid where he will.

He wants to become a god, the Bloodstone Emperor come again.

4 hours ago, Lady Rhodes said:

Euron is Urrathon Night-Walker,

What is a Night-Walker exactly?  They are mentioned in Asshai:

"The dark city by the Shadow is a city steeped in sorcery. Warlocks, wizards, alchemists, moonsingers, red priests, black alchemists, necromancers, aeromancers, pyromancers, bloodmages, torturers, inquisitors, poisoners, godswives, night-walkers, shapechangers, worshippers of the Black Goat and the Pale Child and the Lion of Night, all find welcome in Asshai-by-the-Shadow, where nothing is forbidden."

"It is said that the glass candles are burning in the house of Urrathon Night-Walker"

Stannis called Jon a night walker/skinchanger:

"You are a warg too, they say, a skinchanger who walks at night as a wolf."

Theon uses night-walker as a synonym of a ghost who cuts off genitals:

" Theon answered, wondering if this could be the killer, the night walker who had stuffed Yellow Dick's cock into his mouth and pushed Roger Ryswell's groom off the battlements. "

The Others are white walkers who walk at night:

" Others, the terrifying "white walkers" of the Long Night "

A ghost who kills people at night, a shapechanger/warg, an Other, someone with a device that gives them the power to see into people's minds.

I don't think Euron hired a faceless man to kill Balon, I think that was Euron and he has learned how to change faces. "I dreamt of a man without a face, waiting on a bridge that swayed and swung. On his shoulder perched a drowned crow with seaweed hanging from his wings."

Also, Urrathon, in the Wayward Bride chapter is called Urragon, and uragan means "hurricane" and

"A smile played across Euron's blue lips. "I am the storm, my lord. The first storm, and the last."

3 minutes ago, By Odin's Beard said:

What is a Night-Walker exactly?  They are mentioned in Asshai:

"The dark city by the Shadow is a city steeped in sorcery. Warlocks, wizards, alchemists, moonsingers, red priests, black alchemists, necromancers, aeromancers, pyromancers, bloodmages, torturers, inquisitors, poisoners, godswives, night-walkers, shapechangers, worshippers of the Black Goat and the Pale Child and the Lion of Night, all find welcome in Asshai-by-the-Shadow, where nothing is forbidden."

"It is said that the glass candles are burning in the house of Urrathon Night-Walker"

Stannis called Jon a night walker/skinchanger:

"You are a warg too, they say, a skinchanger who walks at night as a wolf."

Theon uses night-walker as a synonym of a ghost who cuts off genitals:

" Theon answered, wondering if this could be the killer, the night walker who had stuffed Yellow Dick's cock into his mouth and pushed Roger Ryswell's groom off the battlements. "

The Others are white walkers who walk at night:

" Others, the terrifying "white walkers" of the Long Night "

A ghost who kills people at night, a shapechanger/warg, an Other, someone with a device that gives them the power to see into people's minds.

I don't think Euron hired a faceless man to kill Balon, I think that was Euron and he has learned how to change faces. "I dreamt of a man without a face, waiting on a bridge that swayed and swung. On his shoulder perched a drowned crow with seaweed hanging from his wings."

Also, Urrathon, in the Wayward Bride chapter is called Urragon, and uragan means "hurricane" and

"A smile played across Euron's blue lips. "I am the storm, my lord. The first storm, and the last."

Interesting points connecting other uses of night walker. Also I don’t think the Wayward bride actually uses his name but Torgen the rightful king that Urrathon usurped.

5 hours ago, By Odin's Beard said:

okay.   Or someone whose magical growth is similarly unrestrained.   .... wild idea just for fun:  Does anybody think Euron could BE that original Urrathon guy, like taken over by the ghost of the guy whose life he's....repeating?   Is Qarth home to a vampire- ish community of old-world tycoon entities from history who purchased Undying- ness long ago in that city that's always been?   Funny, isn't it, that Qarth seemed like Gotham/NYC with an ancient power base when we saw it, but then no further peep comes from this place you'd expect to be calling the shots in some major plotlines?!   Hmmmmm.

What is a Night-Walker exactly?  

were you asking or telling?   If asking, Night Walkers are monsters from D&D.   As part of George's wizard list , i picture them as astral projections of someone's spirit that takes on the form and stat block of that D&D creature (a beefed up evil melisandre shadow baby all grown up).   Cuz that would bang.

I don't think Euron hired a faceless man to kill Balon, I think that was Euron and he has learned how to change faces. 

welcome to my party!   (It's just us.  Everyone else thinks he traded that egg in for a FM to murder Greyjoy Sr. )   For the longest time, though, i've been saying, "why would Euron hire a magical assassin when he's right there, right offshore , and he's kinda magical already?  And he knew that castle and its weaknesses better than any FM would have.  He could have scaled it in some way he'd discovered in childhood.  (A Bran connection.  The 3 eyed crow loves kids who climb.  It is known.)

The use of "faceless" to describe Euron, the FM, the Others and old gods may be George's way of saying these entities have each found some means to separate themselves from the pack magically and become unknowable.  Beyond our ken.  (They don't have to share the same agenda or the same magic.  Euron could just be spooky in a way that registers on the wizard community's radar as that seaweed crow, without any actual face shifting in person.)

It's in the quote.   ^

Archived