The Citadel

Lady Rhodes

15 hours ago, Lady Rhodes said:

1. Euron is Urrathon Night-Walker, who has a house in Qarth.

10 hours ago, By Odin's Beard said:

"It is said that the glass candles are burning in the house of Urrathon Night-Walker"

This all seems to me to be on the right track. Everything in Essos seems to be a fun-house mirror version of things we see in Westeros, distorted or exaggerated.

If wordplay offers clues, "Urrathon Night-Walker" probably hides an anagram about Harrenhal or King Harren. The fact that candles are burning in this House after 100 years seems like a parallel to the appointment of a new Lord of Harrenhal (or one appointment followed by another) and Arya's work under the direction of Weese to scrub steps so the upstairs can be made ready for use again after long abandonment.

The Euron / Urrathon sound-alike names may be a clue linking these characters. I wouldn't rule out another potential sound-alike connection to Uthor Underleaf, a tourney participant in The Mystery Knight. I see him as a possible ancestor of, or parallel to, Petyr Baelish.

16 hours ago, Lady Rhodes said:

I believe Urrathon Night-Walker, who in Qarth has glass candles burning in his house, is really Euron Greyjoy's home base when he is not sailing Silence.  If he has been exiled from the Iron Islands, he presumably has a home base somewhere, and we have enough intel to gather that he has Pyat Pree, which means, at a minimum, he was near Qarth.

Wasn't Pyat Pree sailing from Qarth to Pentos, where he thought he was going to find Dany, when he was captured? 

16 hours ago, Lady Rhodes said:

Urrathon is also the name of a disgraced Ironborn king, who won a kingsmoot under duplicitous means...

Verrrry interesting. I don't remember the names, but there is mention of an old kingsmoot that was nullified because a legitimate claimant (i.e. Theon) was indisposed; or was that Urrathon?

1 hour ago, 2uenten said:

Wasn't Pyat Pree sailing from Qarth to Pentos, where he thought he was going to find Dany, when he was captured? 

Verrrry interesting. I don't remember the names, but there is mention of an old kingsmoot that was nullified because a legitimate claimant (i.e. Theon) was indisposed; or was that Urrathon?

One in the same.  This is what Asha refers to in Dance and is detailed further in A World of Ice and Fire. *For what it is worth, I don't believe extraneous material should be essential to be read in order to make connections in the story, but sometimes I think it helps us illuminate clues that were already there.

Pyat Pree did sail from Qarth when he was captured by Euron. My opinion is this: Euron could have been sailing with him and took control of ship.  Euron could also have been returning to Qarth and took the ship. It doesn't negate the Euron=Urrathon connection.

I have a bit more time now, so I will briefly delve into what I have been musing:

I think Euron is Urrathon Night-Walker and I think he has made contact with the Others and/or was part of what brought the Others back. He was exiled around the same time that the Others appeared, we know that he is a competent sailor that has traveled to various places, we know he collects various magical artifacts, and we know he is collecting priests or magical leaders of various religions and practices for something (I presume some sort of sacrificial ritual) There is ample evidence to suggest he has a working relationship with the Faceless Men, and as I have mentioned before, I find that the Great Other that Moqorro describes to Victarion is similar to the way the Kindly Man explains the Many Faced God to Arya. I think it is possible that FM-Pate and Euron are after the same thing and in fact are working in cahoots - I suggest for a glass candle but others have suggested for a particular book. We have characters having visions that almost seem to suggest Euron becoming a God-like ruler, and we have Quaithe who is also associated with the glass candles and visions.  In addition to all of this we have the Three Eyed Crow!  As I go through all of this, I think that the Three Eyed Crow is the Great Other, who think Euron is working with him, but actually Euron plans to become the Three Eyed Crow/Great Other himself. 

It would be an interesting twist if everyone ends up working with the Others to defeat Euron.

I think either Melisandre or Quaithe may be Shiera Seastar, who is the woman with the silver hair in the vision with Euron.  Still unsure and trying to parse out everything.

1 hour ago, Lady Rhodes said:

In addition to all of this we have the Three Eyed Crow!  As I go through all of this, I think that the Three Eyed Crow is the Great Other, who think Euron is working with him, but actually Euron plans to become the Three Eyed Crow/Great Other himself. 

Recall Old Nan's story about the "the thing that came in the night"

"Something was coming this way . . . maybe it was the thing that came in the night. The 'prentice boys all saw it, Old Nan said, but afterward when they told their Lord Commander every description had been different. And three died within the year, and the fourth went mad, and a hundred years later when the thing had come again, the 'prentice boys were seen shambling along behind it, all in chains.

That was only a story, though. He was just scaring himself. There was no thing that comes in the night, Maester Luwin had said so. If there had ever been such a thing, it was gone from the world now, like giants and dragons."

The thing that comes in the night is the Three Eyed Crow--the Great Other, we know Euron had flying dreams, he is the fourth one that the crow visited and he went mad.  The 3EC is putting together his team, and they all have crow names.  Bran means crow, joj means crow, Euron (vran means crow) Crow's Eye, and varis means crow.  They are all in chains shambling behind the 3EC, doing his bidding.

Maybe Euron thinks he can take power from the 3EC, but he is mistaken. 

10 minutes ago, By Odin's Beard said:

Recall Old Nan's story about the "the thing that came in the night"

"Something was coming this way . . . maybe it was the thing that came in the night. The 'prentice boys all saw it, Old Nan said, but afterward when they told their Lord Commander every description had been different. And three died within the year, and the fourth went mad, and a hundred years later when the thing had come again, the 'prentice boys were seen shambling along behind it, all in chains.

That was only a story, though. He was just scaring himself. There was no thing that comes in the night, Maester Luwin had said so. If there had ever been such a thing, it was gone from the world now, like giants and dragons."

The thing that comes in the night is the Three Eyed Crow--the Great Other, we know Euron had flying dreams, he is the fourth one that the crow visited and he went mad.  The 3EC is putting together his team, and they all have crow names.  Bran means crow, joj means crow, Euron (vran means crow) Crow's Eye, and varis means crow.  They are all in chains shambling behind the 3EC, doing his bidding.

Maybe Euron thinks he can take power from the 3EC, but he is mistaken. 

Great connection that I hadn't made! Can we build on this to connect anything else?

2 hours ago, Lady Rhodes said:

He was exiled around the same time that the Others appeared

Well not exactly, Craster had been sacrificing to the others for awhile, I'd say when the others appeared it was more inline with Summerhall, though not exact.

33 minutes ago, kleevedge said:

Well not exactly, Craster had been sacrificing to the others for awhile, I'd say when the others appeared it was more inline with Summerhall, though not exact.

Let me rephrase - the first sighting occurs around the same time as Euron's exile.  That is info I got from the Westeros.org wiki, too, for what it is worth.

"Night-Walker" makes me think of "street walker" or "lady of the night," slang terms for prostitute. Possibly a Faceless Men connection, to being hired out? And the bravos of Bravos come out at night and haunt the streets.

Or to the ol' Euron==Daario theory, doesn't Dany compare him to a prostitute at one point?

Then again, there are literally only two sentences on Urrathon on the Wiki, so maybe this is just a case of Restless Crackpot Syndrome brought on by a chronic lack of new text. 

12 minutes ago, 2uenten said:

"Night-Walker" makes me think of "street walker" or "lady of the night," slang terms for prostitute. Possibly a Faceless Men connection, to being hired out? And the bravos of Bravos come out at night and haunt the streets.

Or to the ol' Euron==Daario theory, doesn't Dany compare him to a prostitute at one point?

Then again, there are literally only two sentences on Urrathon on the Wiki, so maybe this is just a case of Restless Crackpot Syndrome brought on by a chronic lack of new text. 

Of course, but is it not much more fun to see if the dots can connect?

20 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Well, we do have the KM telling Arya that maybe the first FM evah was the “son” of one of the ruling Valyrian families. My head canon is, this is true, and this first FM was a Targaryen ancestor. 

ETA: 

“Who was he?” Arya blurted, before she stopped to think.
“No one,” he answered. “Some say he was a slave himself. Others insist he was a freeholder’s son, born of noble stock. Some will even tell you he was an overseer who took pity on his charges.”

*Off topic*

What if the first FM was all three? 

A freeholders son, born of noble stock, who would oversee and took pity on his charges which ended with him being held in slavery as well

Euron.  Magical Pirate.  (Bad manners).

FM.   Magical Pillar of Society.   (Good manners, actions based on karma).

I expect they're not working together, but are in a race to get the prize at the citadel.

There's two power sources, ice and fire poles.  Those who take the religious view trace everyone's powers back to the source and label people as allies of the Great Other or Light Lord.  They're deluded by magic tribalism, though, cuz that's an off base basis to be basing all your judgements off of.  The power sources aren't gods, not exclusively good or evil.  They're plumes of magic phenomena that simply are.  You can do good with Ice and you can do good with Fire.   It doesn't matter which continental source of magic you're hooked up to.  It's how you use it.  What matters is how you act.  I'm lookin' at you, Marwyn.   You Be good now, you hear?  I think Sheira and Bloodraven might be proof of this by using both continents' magics together to attain their shared goal.  (Or not.  Unrevealed.)    

In the west we have 'Wise' mentors of magic, the children, and humans have learned restraint or avoidance from them (the wall, as the prime example, divides the continent but is symbolic of humanity's divided will saying No to magic and let's keep it in check and resist its temptations.  A land at odds with itself. 

And in the east you have no wise species guarding the gate to magic, so it has become a grab bag free for all of reckless humans diving right in to the power and we see how that experiment went kablooey.  It's a land of taking , and of burning through your soul fast without any brakes / self- restraint.   Are you using the magic or is it using you.    

Euron has a great 'will' to use the magic to burn the world down, but the forces riding him want the same thing.  So he has more ambition then Pyat Pree but no more control.   Where the FM take their egos out of the magic, Euron leaves his ego in.   I doubt they and he have a quality relationship.

On 12/5/2018 at 1:06 PM, Lady Rhodes said:

1. Euron is Urrathon Night-Walker, who has a house in Qarth.

Nope. A man like Euron is ruthless and a sailor. Also, he had no idea about the shade of the evening until her captures a group of warlocks from the house of the undying. If he lived in Qarth he would have knowledge of these things. In reality he found them when he captured a ship carrying the warlocks looking to get vengeance on Dany. Also, them being the same would serve zero purpose plot wise. 
The next one is lots of assumptions based on assumptions so I will have to break it down more

2. Euron, The Citadel and the Faceless Men are all intertwined.  
First, if Euron = Urrathon, he has a glass candle.  We know that Euron is a collector of Valyrian artifacts, so this is not beyond possibility that he could have a glass candle.  

It is beyond the possibility as it serves no plot purpose. Weirwoods, shade of the evening, glass candles and flame for red priests are how we get visions. characters get one. Not multiple. Having multiple vision methods, like Euron being a greenseer, or having a glass candle is redundant. He gets his visions from the blue wine of the warlocks. We are shown this. There is no need for another. 

We also know that glass candles can cause the user to give visions to others (we learn this from a Sam POV in Feast), and we have reason to suspect that is how Aeron has visions (possibly enhanced by Shade of the Evening) and how Dany received visions by Quaithe.  Dany has a dream about an army of ice that she bathes in dragonfire along the Trident.  She awakens to Quaithe telling repeating a prophecy to her.  Glass candles seem to be associated with Quaithe and with Euron.  

Again, not at all. We know how aeron gets visions. He is given the shade by euron.Aeron has never been near a glass candle at any time in the books. If he had, we the readers would have seen it. Quaithe probably has access to if not possession of one. But so far there is nothing in the books to connect them to euron in any way. 

Now, if Euron has a glass candle, what could be his reason for wanting another? I don't think he wants it for himself - I think he is getting it for someone.

You need to establish something before you start speculating about what comes after. Otherwise you are just writing a seperate story.

Second, we know that a Faceless Man is impersonating a novice named Pate at the Citadel, and that he wanted a key to a door/room that is not readily accessible.  I think he, too, is trying to get the Glass Candle.

As other folks have said, Mr. Hagar is looking for a book. As shown in feast. He has access to the candle and has for some time. He could have taken it, yet he is still there.  

We know that Euron and the Faceless Men have some sort of relationship - he hired them to kill Balon.  What was the price of that?  

A dragon egg. The one he "threw into the sea" 

Was he hired to get a Faceless Man out of the Citadel once a glass candle was stolen?  To create a distraction so that the theft could occur?

Nope. Not at all. 

So, the big question here really ends up being: who wants a glass candle?

My three guesses:
1. The Faceless Men themselves
2. The Three Eyed Crow
3. Melisandre

Thoughts?

Nobody. Euron wants to conquer, The house of black and white wants a book about dragons  

2 hours ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

Nobody. Euron wants to conquer, The house of black and white wants a book about dragons  

My great problem with this theory is that euron shouldn t be able to conquer old town. I don t remember the exact number of men in old town, but at the moment it has a huge army there.

So either all soldiers go into the boats and die or as long as they have 5K defending old town it should hold (I am assuming that euron has between 15-20K and that 1 man defending a Wall is equal to 3/4 attacking). And with the redwine fleet returning there is no reason to send all the men in the new fleet they are building. 

So what if all the mess euron is creating near old town is only a distraction? Because no matter how fierce euron is not even Aegon the conqueror who had dragons dared to destroy oldtown. 

So what if the FM in the citadel is still working for euron in exchange for the dragon egg and euron is just providing the oportunity for him to do his job and staying nearby in order to contact the FM as fast as possible once the job is done?

And also equally interesting. Will we have sam contacting people using a glass candle? for example sending jon information via a candle?

Also, if oldtown is going to be destroyed I would say it may be more credible if obara does it from inside with the help of the brave companions with some clever plot (if oberin was part of the company when he was in essos maybe obara was the one that called them to oldtown).

7 hours ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

Nope. A man like Euron is ruthless and a sailor. Also, he had no idea about the shade of the evening until her captures a group of warlocks from the house of the undying. If he lived in Qarth he would have knowledge of these things. In reality he found them when he captured a ship carrying the warlocks looking to get vengeance on Dany. Also, them being the same would serve zero purpose plot wise. 
The next one is lots of assumptions based on assumptions so I will have to break it down more

It is beyond the possibility as it serves no plot purpose. Weirwoods, shade of the evening, glass candles and flame for red priests are how we get visions. characters get one. Not multiple. Having multiple vision methods, like Euron being a greenseer, or having a glass candle is redundant. He gets his visions from the blue wine of the warlocks. We are shown this. There is no need for another. 

Again, not at all. We know how aeron gets visions. He is given the shade by euron.Aeron has never been near a glass candle at any time in the books. If he had, we the readers would have seen it. Quaithe probably has access to if not possession of one. But so far there is nothing in the books to connect them to euron in any way. 

You need to establish something before you start speculating about what comes after. Otherwise you are just writing a seperate story.

As other folks have said, Mr. Hagar is looking for a book. As shown in feast. He has access to the candle and has for some time. He could have taken it, yet he is still there.  

A dragon egg. The one he "threw into the sea" 

Nope. Not at all. 

We can agree to disagree then.

4 hours ago, divica said:

My great problem with this theory is that euron shouldn t be able to conquer old town. I don t remember the exact number of men in old town, but at the moment it has a huge army there.

So either all soldiers go into the boats and die or as long as they have 5K defending old town it should hold (I am assuming that euron has between 15-20K and that 1 man defending a Wall is equal to 3/4 attacking). And with the redwine fleet returning there is no reason to send all the men in the new fleet they are building. 

So what if all the mess euron is creating near old town is only a distraction? Because no matter how fierce euron is not even Aegon the conqueror who had dragons dared to destroy oldtown. 

So what if the FM in the citadel is still working for euron in exchange for the dragon egg and euron is just providing the oportunity for him to do his job and staying nearby in order to contact the FM as fast as possible once the job is done?

And also equally interesting. Will we have sam contacting people using a glass candle? for example sending jon information via a candle?

I think it is a distraction as well

6 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

@divica, Oberyn was never w/ the Brave Companions but w/ the Second Sons. Do the Brave Companions even exist anymore?

How do you know that? I thought it was unclear what sellsword company he joined and that the brave companions was the strongest candidate. 

And aparently there are some brave companions going to the citadel

1 hour ago, divica said:

How do you know that? I thought it was unclear what sellsword company he joined and that the brave companions was the strongest candidate. 

And aparently there are some brave companions going to the citadel

At work at the mo, can't look ot up now. It's said somewhere in the books... ASoS maybe? 

Archived