US Politics: Sing us a song, you're the Tariff man

Kalbear

Wait one moment...... 

This thread title is a reference to the Billy Joel song "Piano Man", because Donald Trump called himself the Tariff Man. But Donald Trump also called Kim Jong-un Rocket Man. "Rocket Man" is a song sung by Elton John. Billy Joel sang the song "Why Should I Worry?" which appears in the Disney film Oliver and Company. However, Disney also made a movie called The Lion King which contains a song called "Can You Feel the Love Tonight?". I'll give you one guess who sang that. Yep, you got it. Elton John. 

Don't you see? It's Disney! It all leads back to Disney! Disney is behind everything!

I conspirized the s*** out of that. You're welcome.

Conspirized (verb) : the act of taking a set of disparate events that have only the most tenuous of connections and building bulls*** out of it. Often with humorous intent. Sometimes ironically humorous.

9 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Wait one moment...... 

This thread title is a reference to the Billy Joel song "Piano Man", because Donald Trump called himself the Tariff Man. But Donald Trump also called Kim Jong-un Rocket Man. "Rocket Man" is a song sung by Elton John. Billy Joel sang the song "Why Should I Worry?" which appears in the Disney film Oliver and Company. However, Disney also made a movie called The Lion King which contains a song called "Can You Feel the Love Tonight?". I'll give you one guess who sang that. Yep, you got it. Elton John. 

Don't you see? It's Disney! It all leads back to Disney! Disney is behind everything!

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Conspirized (verb) : the act of taking a set of disparate events that have only the most tenuous of connections and building bulls*** out of it. Often with humorous intent.

Clearly, you have the biggest and best brain of us all.

9 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Wait one moment...... 

Hide contents

Hide contents

Conspirized (verb) : the act of taking a set of disparate events that have only the most tenuous of connections and building bulls*** out of it. Often with humorous intent. Sometimes ironically humorous.

And they're all Ruthless People which also is a song by Billy Joel written for the movie of the same name which was distributed by Touchstone Pictures which is a label of...Walt Disney Motion Pictures...

Holy fucking shit...

and...and...and...

The Lion King starred Nathan Lane who was in He Said, She Said with...Kevin Bacon

Holy Fucking Shit Shit Shit!

John Kelly out at the end of the year.

but teh aaaaddduuuulllts..

Let’s hear it for Johnny K., here’s to kiddie camps, here’s to muslim bans, here’s to using refugees as a political punching bag during election season, to using one’s status a a veteran to attack the families of other veterans and to gain unearned status as anything other than a ghoul. I hope he was as anguished as he looked during some of those a Trump meltdowns, I hope the fucker is riddled with ulcers.

Garbage out, garbage in, next soulles asshole to the plate.

It's beginning to look a lot like ... the last 2 years of the orange nazi's term will be fighting to stay in the WH? 

The word 'impeachment' is on the media again ....

Those who have aided, abetted and colluded have perhaps concluded they've squeezed about all they can get out of this one, so on to the next one, who might be a somewhat smarter, more polite, less dsyfunctional, incompetent less transparent curtain behind which they pillage, loot, destroy and murder.  Not that it matters.  He's been perfectly effective for their purposes.  The harm's done and here to stay until the ever more rapidly closing in of the end of the world (though ya, the process plus the desire for it, began long ago with Nixon and Reagan, who allowed this to monster to wallow in D.C.

Additionally this, from the UK Guardian, which is pretty interesting in itself:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/dec/08/robert-mueller-donald-trump-loyalty-organized-crime

To a certain set of federal prosecutors, the visible struggle between Trump and Mueller for the loyalty of former Trump aides is familiar, because it is straight out of the playbook for prosecuting organized crime.

“The decision to cooperate with prosecutors always comes down to loyalty,” said Elie Honig, a former federal prosecutor from the southern district of New York who helped dismantle the Sicilian mafia.

“Who are you going to prioritize?” Honig said. “Are you going to cooperate and minimize your own exposure, and likely minimize the pain, and emotional and financial hardship on your family – or are you going to stay loyal to the people who you committed crimes with?”

This has been a crime family from at least the days of the nazi's nazi father.  Like most NYC real estate families, of course, but from the git go, particularly due to the father's support and sympathies with nazi Germany, this one was always notorious even among their own ilks.

“This is what you do when you’re investigating the Gambino crime family, or a motorcycle gang, or any other group of criminals that are engaged in a conspiracy,” said Cotter. “You’ve got to get inside. And usually you need somebody on the inside to tell you what’s going on, and that opens up some doors.”

All the former prosecutors the Guardian spoke with cautioned that they did not mean by their analysis to say that Trump is a mob boss, or that the Mueller investigation is strictly an organized crime investigation. But the similarities kept coming up.

" Mob bosses hold sway over their soldiers because they hold the purse strings for their soldiers … when they go to jail," says Daniel Goldman.

But this boss is notorious for running out on his bills, going backrupt and stiffing his creditors....

Funny they picked the Gambinos of all the crime families.

Their demise happened with that narcissist Gotti in charge, and they really have struggled to recover from his tenure as Don. If Michael Cohen gets caught in a few years running a meth ring in Arizona, while in witsec, then we will have figured out, who plays the Tommy Gravano to Donnie's John Gotti.

Bundy of the Oregon militia standoff infamy, is back in the news...

...for supporting a cause favored by those on the Left.  He comes across as...almost rational.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ammon-bundy-quits-militia-movement-over-trump-backlash/ar-BBQDBIV?ocid=ob-fb-enus-580&fbclid=IwAR06IhutZRRowUZmPRZf2kkn6NlUAzQW238lgprGCGbDbs_scjA_hshkEdk

Bundy, a central figure in the anti-government militia movement, recently criticized Trump’s rhetoric towards the migrant caravan at America’s southern border. Following the sharing of his opinions, which was surprising to his supporters, Bundy told

BuzzFeed News that he was the instant target of a heavy backlash. Some wished he was dead or that they never supported his family during the standoffs and others claimed he was paid to switch political sides.

While he expected to get some pushback, he thought he could explain to critics why he took the positions that he did. However, his speculation that people aligned with him for reasons other than his principles and weren’t really listening was confirmed by the backlash he received.  

"It's like being in a room full of people in here, trying to teach, and no one is listening," Bundy told BuzzFeed News. "The vast majority seemed to hang on to what seemed like hate, and fear, and almost warmongering, and I don't want to associate myself with warmongers."

I saw a story about Bundy condemning the attacks on the migrant caravan either last week or at the start of this week. Apparently he put out a long video condemning the Trump/Fox characterization of the caravan. The backlash is sadly predictable, but hey, still nice when people surprise you with unexpected decency.

t's beginning to look a lot like ... the last 2 years of the orange nazi's term will be fighting to stay in the WH? 

The word 'impeachment' is on the media again ....

Those who have aided, abetted and colluded have perhaps concluded they've squeezed about all they can get out of this one, so on to the next one, who might be a somewhat smarter, more polite, less dsyfunctional, incompetent less transparent curtain behind which they pillage, loot, destroy and murder.  Not that it matters.  He's been perfectly effective for their purposes.  The harm's done and here to stay until the ever more rapidly closing in of the end of the world (though ya, the process plus the desire for it, began long ago with Nixon and Reagan, who allowed this to monster to wallow in D.C.

The problem is that to remove a sitting president is still a political decision, not one based on laws.  Its likely a vote to impeach could get through the house but it would be meaningless.   Successful conviction would require 2/3 of the senate, and there is zero chance of that happening.   There are simply not enough GOP senators that put country before party to vote Trump out.  This is especially true given the nature of the crimes committed.  While of the deepest gravity, and while quite likely traitorous, they are too esoteric for much of the public, especially most of the demographics that make up Trump's base, to really wrap their head around how bad they truly are.  There are enough Senators that live in states where the voting electorate contains close to a majority of Trump supporters.  For them to turn on the Donald, there would have to be significant pressure from their constituents.   These crimes are not going to flip enough of these voters to actually make senators from those deep red states change their calculations.  If they vote innocent they are safe, if they vote guilty they may well loose their jobs.   It might be possible if we found that Trump did something more readily graspable, like say, murder.  As things stand there is no chance of conviction.    Sadly, we are stuck with Trump for the remainder of this term. 

And it actually gets worse.  Its likely, given what we can see of the Mueller investigation, that more and more evidence will come out that connects Trump directly to illegal election manipulation by the Russians.  While large regions of the country might be controlled by committed Trump partisans, this is actually a significant minority of the electorate nationally.  Combine increased outrage with Trump's crimes with anger from many of those voters, particularly in the Midwest who bought into Trump's economic snake oil and are not finding themselves completely fucked,  and his position nationally is going to deteriorate drastically.  Trump will be backed in an ever tighter corner, surrounded by a nation that has rejected him but lacks a way to remove him, constantly hearing about his crimes and his horrid situation from the media he hates, and completely lacking the skills to deal with the demands of a presidency, much less one in the midst of a constitutional crisis.  He will become increasingly dangerous both to the country and to the world.  

I'm seeing a lot of "but you can't indict a sitting president" on Twitter. They know he's guilty as hell and that's their Get Out of Jail Free card. That's a policy, not a law, and there's absolutely nothing in the Constitution to prevent it. (If that's not true, let me know and I'll revise my position.) Pence has no such protection, and he was the first one to lawyer up.

Trump is an un-indicted co-conspirator, and for all we know Mueller has already indicted him under seal.

I say f*uck it--indict him and let the chips fall where they may. 

5 hours ago, davos said:

The problem is that to remove a sitting president is still a political decision, not one based on laws.  Its likely a vote to impeach could get through the house but it would be meaningless.   Successful conviction would require 2/3 of the senate, and there is zero chance of that happening.   There are simply not enough GOP senators that put country before party to vote Trump out.  This is especially true given the nature of the crimes committed.  While of the deepest gravity, and while quite likely traitorous, they are too esoteric for much of the public, especially most of the demographics that make up Trump's base, to really wrap their head around how bad they truly are.  There are enough Senators that live in states where the voting electorate contains close to a majority of Trump supporters.  For them to turn on the Donald, there would have to be significant pressure from their constituents.   These crimes are not going to flip enough of these voters to actually make senators from those deep red states change their calculations.  If they vote innocent they are safe, if they vote guilty they may well loose their jobs.   It might be possible if we found that Trump did something more readily graspable, like say, murder.  As things stand there is no chance of conviction.    Sadly, we are stuck with Trump for the remainder of this term. 

And it actually gets worse.  Its likely, given what we can see of the Mueller investigation, that more and more evidence will come out that connects Trump directly to illegal election manipulation by the Russians.  While large regions of the country might be controlled by committed Trump partisans, this is actually a significant minority of the electorate nationally.  Combine increased outrage with Trump's crimes with anger from many of those voters, particularly in the Midwest who bought into Trump's economic snake oil and are not finding themselves completely fucked,  and his position nationally is going to deteriorate drastically.  Trump will be backed in an ever tighter corner, surrounded by a nation that has rejected him but lacks a way to remove him, constantly hearing about his crimes and his horrid situation from the media he hates, and completely lacking the skills to deal with the demands of a presidency, much less one in the midst of a constitutional crisis.  He will become increasingly dangerous both to the country and to the world.  

Well, it's clear that Mueller is taking his time, which is uncomfortable for anyone wanting a quick resolution to this. And rather disturbing that years are passing as foreign powers have great influence on U.S. foreign policy. He hasn't even gotten to Stone yet, although that may be coming. As I've read others point out, we are at the mid-game, not the end-game. 

So far, taking so much time has played out in Muller's favor. The Republicans have lost the House. Mueller has gained cooperation and information, and also is able to make an example out of Manafort. (The Southern District also seems to be making an example of Cohen, for not cooperating readily and enough, even as Muller praised his cooperation) The time spent was costly, since something horrible could have happened with Trump as President so long, but it seems that it was well spent.

The big question is how Trump will react as family members are indicted. It could go either way. It could lead to him accepting a deal and resigning to save someone from prison. It could also lead to him thrashing around and destroying our system more.

Also, it is clear the report won't be squashed, as has been feared. The report is coming out right now, as the indictments come down. Every new indictment tells more of the story to the public. 

Yeah, for now we basically have a criminal in the White House, and worse, he has a strong incentive to not leave, as he will be indicted right after he does leave. As an old man, his best bet is to stay in office the full term, then have lawyers stall his case a few more years after that. 

In theory, the Republicans could tire of Trump and find a way to boot him. The biggest problem with this actually happening is 2020. If Trump loses, this is all over and there is no need to boot him. If Trump wins, how does he look like a political liability to them? You would have to have some sort of freak election, where the President wins, but the Republicans lose a lot of House and Senate seats. Indeed, if they just hold the Senate and Presidency, they will probably continue to justify things in order to gain more SC seats.

"I Like Biden. I Urge Him Not To Run"

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/08/opinion/sunday/biden-2020-dont-run.html?

The piece begins like this:

You’d agree, wouldn’t you, that Consideration No. 1 in choosing a Democratic nominee in 2020 is making sure that he or she is the person best positioned to defeat Donald Trump? That nothing else comes close?

Then what would you say if I told you that we should put our chips on a man who failed miserably at two previous campaigns for the nomination, the first one all the way back in 1988, a year before Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez wasY born? And that when he applied the lessons from that debacle to his second bid two decades later, he did no better, placing fifth in the Iowa caucuses, getting fewer than 1 percent of the state’s delegates and folding his tent before even the New Hampshire primary?

And that he spent nearly 45 years in Washington, a proper noun that’s a dirty word in presidential politics? And that his record includes laws and episodes that are reviled — rightly — by the female and black voters so integral to the Democratic Party? And that, on Election Day, he would be 77, which is 31 years older than Bill Clinton was in 1992, 30 years older than Barack Obama was in 2008 and a complete contradiction of the party’s success over the last half-century with relatively youthful candidates?

You’d tell me that I was of unsound mind.

Well, Joe Biden’s boosters are....

What’s going on? Here’s my best guess.

Cohen has a lot more he could give. The government knows that. They want to crack him. Moreover, even on the stuff he’s given them so far, he is a less valuable witness so long as he refuses to be fully candid. They are tired of playing his coy little game, and political considerations require speed. So they’ve accelerated sentencing, and set up a classic “good cop – bad cop” squeeze. New York has told the judge to hammer Cohen. By contrast, Mueller looks like a generous friend. Cohen—who like every white collar criminal I’ve ever known is undoubtedly scared silly of going to prison—is facing 4-5 years (and, not improbably, a good deal more if the judge is impatient with his recalcitrance). This crystallizes his choices. Either he quits fiddling around or he goes to the Big House for a long while.

Moreover, an immediate sentencing forces Cohen to make up his mind fast. If he wants to avoid a sentencing in which the Southern District of New York is calling for his head, he has to act within the next few days—his sentencing hearing is scheduled to go ahead on Wednesday. Alternatively, if he gambles and goes ahead with the sentencing and the judge hammers him, there is still one escape hatch. If he decides post-sentencing to open up and cooperate fully, the court could reduce its original sentence, but only if the government makes a special motion to allow that and only if he provides substantial assistance to the government within one year of the original sentence.

In short, the government has just put a ticking clock in front of Michael Cohen. He can’t filibuster anymore. Either he spills his guts or he goes to prison. And the time to decide is right now.

The Reason Prosecutors Hammered Michael Cohen Despite His Cooperation With Robert Mueller

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/12/michael-cohens-cooperation-robert-mueller-sentencing.html

4 minutes ago, Triskele said:

It's being pointed out now that the 2020 election might actually have not just Trump's re-election up in the air but whether Trump goes to jail or not.  What an insane situation.  When we get around to the Dem debates we may very well have the question asked of the candidates "should President Trump go to jail once he leaves office?"  

In that case  wouldn't be surprised if he doesnt get the GOP endorsement.  True, they've never not held their nose and bit the shit sandwich, but if there's a pile of legal shit, maybe he gets primaried to create distance.

Ayers turns down CoS

Nick Ayers, the leading candidate to replace John Kelly as President Donald Trump's chief of staff, announced Sunday he will not be taking the job, reviving discussions about who will succeed the retired Marine general when he leaves at the end of the month.

Ayers, who has served as Vice President Mike Pence's chief of staff for more than a year, turned down the position because he could not agree to terms with the President, a White House official told CNN.

HA!

8 hours ago, Zorral said:

"I Like Biden. I Urge Him Not To Run"

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/08/opinion/sunday/biden-2020-dont-run.html?

The piece begins like this:

Not to mention Jimmy Carter was 53 and JFK was 43. The only old coot to be a Democratic president within anyone's living memory (by that I mean of voting age at the time of being elected) was LBJ, and he only looked old, he was still in his 50s when he won the presidential election as the actual candidate. I guess there are still a handful of people around who could have voted for Truman and Roosevelt. Heck even Roosevelt was in his early 50s when elected.

It's almost like Democrats can't get anyone elected if they are over 55. 

10 minutes ago, DMC said:

Perhaps he can appoint another Fox host. At this point it seems like only people at Fox still thinks the sun shines out of his arse; at least the only people who are in any way palatable to the mainstream public.

Archived