US Politics: Sing us a song, you're the Tariff man

Kalbear

John Kyl is stepping down.  So AZ Gov. Ducey is going to pick a replacement for the two years before the position is officially filled in 2020.  It was initially rumored that he would pick McSally, who just narrowly lost to Sinema for Jeff Flake's old seat.  That is what McConnell has asked him to do, to increase the number of Republican women in the Senate.  That number currently stands at 7/53, which isn't exactly a great ratio.

But apparently Ducey isn't sure he wants to go that way, surely there is some man he could pick instead, amiright?

30 minutes ago, Ormond said:

And yet he doesn't define golf as "exercise" (which it is to some extent for his upper body even if he uses a golf cart.)

18 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Well he has a point.

Golf is not a sport!

And I am still surprised this spare time activity survived the invention of the blue pills.

As one of the half dozen or so people on this forum who participate in the gold thread, I have to say that golf absolutely is a sport. That said, not all sports qualify as exercise. Are hunting and fishing sports? Yes, they can be. Are they exercise? Hell no. The only sports that you can drink beer while playing that qualify as exercise too are skiing, snowboarding, water skiing, wakeboarding and maybe beer league softball.    

32 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

As one of the half dozen or so people on this forum who participate in the gold thread, I have to say that golf absolutely is a sport. That said, not all sports qualify as exercise. Are hunting and fishing sports? Yes, they can be. Are they exercise? Hell no. The only sports that you can drink beer while playing that qualify as exercise too are skiing, snowboarding, water skiing, wakeboarding and maybe beer league softball.    

Curling is on any list of sports can be done while drinking or even while intoxicated. Read up on Canadian curling news.

Trump believed the human body was like a battery, with a finite amount of energy, which exercise only depleted

There are these things called rechargeable batteries, just as there are these things called food that can replenish your energy.....

Next time any libertarian Rand acolyte talks about meritocracy just point to Trump. I said this before, but he has truly destroyed the idea of the US having any form of meritocracy.

22 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Curling is on any list of sports can be done while drinking or even while intoxicated. Read up on Canadian curling news.

Curling really feels more like an activity rather than a sport, much like darts or pool, which you can also do while being hammered.  

58 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The only sports that you can drink beer while playing that qualify as exercise too are skiing, snowboarding, water skiing, wakeboarding and maybe beer league softball.    

Too weak to resistance:

Spoiler

I also think Curling could of only come about because of alchohol. I cannot see throwing a stone on a frozen lake being guiding by someone with a broom being thought up in stone cold soberity. 

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Well he has a point.

Golf is not a sport!

And I am still surprised this spare time activity survived the invention of the blue pills.

Donnie hates himself too much to have regular intercourse. He just wants all the attractive people around him so he looks less ugly. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Son, I can drink Vodka and play ANY sport. I'll go blind from drunkenness at corner, pass out and die from alcohol poisoning at point guard, I'll even expire of liver failure leading the Talladega 500.

55 minutes ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

Too weak to resistance:

Reveal hidden contents

I also think Curling could of only come about because of alchohol. I cannot see throwing a stone on a frozen lake being guiding by someone with a broom being thought up in stone cold soberity. 

Man, that could be a thread in and of itself: Sports and activities that were created due to intoxication.   

44 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Son, I can drink Vodka and play ANY sport. I'll go blind from drunkenness at corner, pass out and die from alcohol poisoning at point guard, I'll even expire of liver failure leading the Talladega 500.

I feel like this is an It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia moment, where from your perspective you’re doing everything great, but then it switches to all of ours and you’re just rolling around on floor, drunk and stoned.

17 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I feel like this is an It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia moment, where from your perspective you’re doing everything great, but then it switches to all of ours and you’re just rolling around on floor, drunk and stoned.

:rofl:

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

So the blue pills are too expensive and you are not into SUVs or Harley Davidson then?

So with the hype surrounding Beto the knives are starting to come out - this one from the left:

Beto's no true progressive - Democrats can do better

Is the right candidate simply someone who can beat Donald Trump by virtue of not being him? Genuine progressives would presumably want to gain power to enact change, not just gain power for the sake of it.

And in this regard, O’Rourke comes up short. For all his gloss and engaging rhetoric he simply doesn’t seem to stand for much. While the democratic base is talking with increasing confidence and urgency about single payer healthcare and free college education, when it came down to it O’Rourke didn’t back either bill. He seems positively Clintonite when it comes to Wall Street regulation and has voted consistently pro-police to the point of supporting making police officers a protected class.

Furthermore, a U-turn on Israel’s treatment of Palestinians in Gaza (as a rookie O’Rourke was one of just a handful of Democrats to vote against funding the “iron dome missile defence system” in 2014) suggests that when he does take a stand on something he lacks the stomach to fight for his convictions.

1 hour ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Bah gawd it's Stone Cold Jace!  (Other than the pussy vodka part.)

53 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Or, this:

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

Bah gawd it's Stone Cold Jace!  (Other than the pussy vodka part.)

Hey I'm just being honest. Beer or a dark liquor will give me a stomach ache with too much exertion. Not as young as I used to be. Though I suppose a silver tequila would do fine. I wonder if that's why it exists? No point to it otherwise.

Christie latest to turn down CoS job

It's almost like Trump is offering a job that most Americans simply don't want to do.

8 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Hey I'm just being honest. Beer or a dark liquor will give me a stomach ache with too much exertion. Not as young as I used to be. Though I suppose a silver tequila would do fine. I wonder if that's why it exists? No point to it otherwise.

Fair enough.  I myself haven't really drank beer in years because I was getting fat (I know, I know, this isn't really the case - i.e. beer vs. liquor - but it's worked for me).  Hell, even the actual Stone Cold himself admitted to cutting beer for his latest diet.  WHAT'S THE WORLD COMING TO?!?

2 hours ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

Well it was invented in Scotland, possibly by monks, so it undoubtedly involved large amounts of alcohol. :laugh:

54 minutes ago, DMC said:

The knives were out for Beto already some weeks ago, which I mentioned in some previous thread.  They arrived about a week after the Midterms, with the public floating of Biden as the one and only and obvious Dem nom for the 2020 POTUS Olympics.

23 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Well it was invented in Scotland, possibly by monks, so it undoubtedly involved large amounts of alcohol. :laugh:

Those Scots monks made grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat aqua vita, mead and ale going way back.

The first mention of a distillery is from a Scots monastery:

https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2018/06/on-this-day-1494first-mention-of-scotch-distilling/

And it was always cold and wet and mostly really boring, even if one weren't starving to death.  Today they could drink the spirits and play video games in central heating!

3 minutes ago, Zorral said:

The knives were out for Beto already some weeks ago, which I mentioned in some previous thread.

Yeah I just found that one interesting because it's the first substantive progressive critique I've seen thus far.

1 minute ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Known Middle East problem solver Jared Kushner will also in all likelihood turn down CoS position on account of it being too difficult a task for him to handle.

Naw.  He still wants it.  He, himself, wants it.  That's how dumb he is.

Archived