US Politics: Sing us a song, you're the Tariff man

Kalbear

5 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Known Middle East problem solver Jared Kushner will also in all likelihood turn down CoS position on account of it being too difficult a task for him to handle.

I still think Ivanka would make a better choice than Jared seeing how he already has several jobs and could easily be indicted soon.  But what do I know?

4 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Known Middle East problem solver Jared Kushner

Remember he also solved the opioid crisis, criminal justice and government reform, and relations with Mexico and China.  He's way too overqualified for CoS.

50 minutes ago, DMC said:

Christie latest to turn down CoS job

It's almost like Trump is offering a job that most Americans simply don't want to do.

So just like at Mar a Lago and Trump Tower, the solution is to hire an undocumented immigrant. Maybe one of Melania's other relatives will take the job.

Just now, Maithanet said:

I still think Ivanka would make a better choice than Jared seeing how he already has several jobs and could easily be indicted soon.  But what do I know?

I still think Jr. is the first from the family Klan to get indicted. Not sure what the bookies say, But I'd think there has to be some bets out there.

1 minute ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I still think Jr. is the first from the family Klan to get indicted. Not sure what the bookies say, But I'd think there has to be some bets out there.

It does seem like Jr. is more exposed than Kushner.  But if they're both going to get indicted by Mueller, I think that the fact that Kushner isn't a Trump might mean he goes first. 

It does seem like Jr. is more exposed than Kushner.  But if they're both going to get indicted by Mueller, I think that the fact that Kushner isn't a Trump might mean he goes first. 

Personally my calculus would be.

Indict Jr. first. Let Daddy pardon him (at least more likely than with Jared), get him then for obstruction of justice and removed. Once that is out of the way, go after Jared and Ivanka, and hope they still have some more fun stuff on him.

9 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

So just like at Mar a Lago and Trump Tower, the solution is to hire an undocumented immigrant. Maybe one of Melania's other relatives will take the job.

Basically my thought.  Except Trump treats the job like shit anyway, so might as well get someone from those shithole countries.

3 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Personally my calculus would be.

Indict Jr. first. Let Daddy pardon him (at least more likely than with Jared), get him then for obstruction of justice and removed. Once that is out of the way, go after Jared and Ivanka, and hope they still have some more fun stuff on him.

I dunno, I'm really doubtful about the Senate removing Trump, regardless of evidence.  I think that our one and only shot is 23 months from now. 

And even in the event that Trump is removed, expect him to preemptively pardon the whole clan - Jared, Ivanka, himself, Barron, etc.

I dunno, I'm really doubtful about the Senate removing Trump, regardless of evidence.  I think that our one and only shot is 23 months from now. 

And even in the event that Trump is removed, expect him to preemptively pardon the whole clan - Jared, Ivanka, himself, Barron, etc.

I think the NY DAs might want to object here and there. Remember state crimes are out of his pardoning power.

3 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I think the NY DAs might want to object here and there. Remember state crimes are out of his pardoning power.

They are, but a lot of the stuff flying around is primarily federal.  There's plenty of wrongdoing at the state level by D. Trump and the Trump Organization, but I'm not sure about connecting those dots to Junior, and even less so to Ivanka and Kushner. 

9 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

expect him to preemptively pardon the whole clan - Jared, Ivanka, himself, Barron, etc.

This is the true political question of our time - will Barron Trump get pardoned?

Anyway, just a reminder to everyone since we were talking Kushner, Christie and the CoS job - the latter put the former's father in prison.

but I'm not sure about connecting those dots to Junior, and even less so to Ivanka and Kushner. 

That's where I have such high hopes for Cohen. I just have to assume, that he knows exactly where the bodies are buried.

37 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

They are all going to be indicted.

The gang that couldn't shoot straight are even smarter than these incompetent, ignorant, greedy, foolish criminals.

Unless...maybe...mmm...when it comes to feckless and stupid...the Dems . . . .  Hey! let's kill our bright new party hopes, Alex and Beto!  That's the ticket to winning the Win all right!

Ya, my first thought too: CoS today; a job no citizen wants; give it to an undocumented.

And also, re Chris Christie -- ya, we can't forget what he did to Jairhead's daddy-O; they sure haven't!

5 hours ago, Maithanet said:

John Kyl is stepping down.  So AZ Gov. Ducey is going to pick a replacement for the two years before the position is officially filled in 2020.  It was initially rumored that he would pick McSally, who just narrowly lost to Sinema for Jeff Flake's old seat.  That is what McConnell has asked him to do, to increase the number of Republican women in the Senate.  That number currently stands at 7/53, which isn't exactly a great ratio.

But apparently Ducey isn't sure he wants to go that way, surely there is some man he could pick instead, amiright?

He can't pick himself any more, since that would hand the Democrats the Governorship (Arizona has no Lieutenant Governor. The next in line is the now-Democratic Secretary of State).

1 minute ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

He can't pick himself any more, since that would hand the Democrats the Governorship (Arizona has no Lieutenant Governor. The next in line is the now-Democratic Secretary of State).

Yeah, although no guarantee he'd even want to.  He just won the governorship, somehow I doubt he'd want to give up those 4 years to have to run for office again in 2. 

13 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Yeah, although no guarantee he'd even want to.  He just won the governorship, somehow I doubt he'd want to give up those 4 years to have to run for office again in 2. 

Also, there's pretty long history of governors who became senators (not just self-appointment, also being term-limited or otherwise deciding to run for the other office) and being disappointed in the experience. Turns out, being the sole executive is better than being 1 out of 100; especially in states with very powerful governorships.

My understanding is that a lot of Arizona GOP insiders and electeds were pretty angry at McSally's post-election memo that basically blamed everyone except herself and her campaign for the loss; which is why it no longer seems a foregone conclusion that she'll get the appointment. Also, whoever gets the seat faces a special election in 2020 and then a regular election in 2022 and there's a good chance Arizona will be even more Democrat-friendly in 2020 than it was in 2018. McSally may just be too weak a candidate.

7 minutes ago, Fez said:

My understanding is that a lot of Arizona GOP insiders and electeds were pretty angry at McSally's post-election memo that basically blamed everyone except herself and her campaign for the loss; which is why it no longer seems a foregone conclusion that she'll get the appointment. Also, whoever gets the seat faces a special election in 2020 and then a regular election in 2022 and there's a good chance Arizona will be even more Democrat-friendly in 2020 than it was in 2018. McSally may just be too weak a candidate.

Arizona will be slightly less white in 2020 than 2018, but odds are good that 2020 will be a better year for Republicans generall than 2018 was.  After all, 2018 was D+8.5 in the House, and the highest ever achieved for either party* was D+10 in 2008. 

* modern elections only

Archived