US Politics: Sing us a song, you're the Tariff man

Kalbear

I argued then that as a state, we needed to “claw our way slowly toward democratic integrity … [and] address the institutional failures which have cost us our democratic ranking—districting, equal access to the vote and the abuse of legislative power.”

Two years later, the quality of democracy has declined further, and the decaying system has created a monster.

The North Carolina GOP is not particularly interested in what the voters think because they don’t have to be: They have effective detached themselves from the electoral accountability that underpins democracy.

The most egregious example of this is exploding now.

When I Said North Carolina Wasn’t a Democracy, People Called Me Crazy
They’re not saying that anymore.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/12/08/north-carolina-9th-district-democracy-222853

No sane person should want the job, the writing is on the wall, Trump is a criminal, and the only thing protecting him is being president (“safe” from indictment, which I think this SC would support) and a congress which will not hold him accountable for crimes.

26 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

No sane person should want the job, the writing is on the wall, Trump is a criminal, and the only thing protecting him is being president (“safe” from indictment, which I think this SC would support) and a congress which will not hold him accountable for crimes.

Do you think so? If so I think it would only be for the sake of future presidents. Can you imagine how almost every newly elected president would spark a frenzy in the opposition to try to find something to indict him/her for?

And when I say almost every newly elected president, I actually mean every newly elected Democratic president, for as long as it takes to get even because their's was the first guy to get indicted and the scales need to be re-balanced, in a way that has not been possible to re-balance the scales from the Nixon impeachment-if-not-for-the-fact-that-he-resigned-first. Imagine that, the law and order, Christian values party being the party with an impeached in all but name and criminally indicted sitting president. I wonder if this is why conspiracy theorists and deep stateism permeates a substantial segment of the grass roots of Republicans. It's just not possible that the party of morals and traditional family values can have had such wantonly corrupt people as president, therefore they must be frame jobs, therefore there is a political conspiracy lurking somewhere in the bowels of Washington.

Does anybody of either Dem or Gop even care what the orange nazi says about them anymore? 

Is there a single member of this family that isn't a sap, easily played, and played they are, by every enemy of the USA?  And aren't all kinds of people noticing?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/08/world/middleeast/saudi-mbs-jared-kushner.html

6 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I don’t know why anyone would be interested.  It’s a thankless job.  He won’t listen to anyone and it increasingly looks like the admin is a sinking ship.  Pretty telling, IMO, that nobody close to the situation seems to want this job.  

10 hours ago, Morpheus said:

He wants Mark Meadows, Freedom Caucus douchepizzle and all around Trump chode. 

If it makes you feel any better, at least he's not your representative. 

10 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

When I Said North Carolina Wasn’t a Democracy, People Called Me Crazy
They’re not saying that anymore.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/12/08/north-carolina-9th-district-democracy-222853

You will get no counter-argument from me. 

On 12/7/2018 at 6:40 PM, DMC said:

None of this is about a Democratic nominee "sinking" to Trump's level.  We were talking about a tweet about military spending, ffs!

From my perspective, the conversation had shifted to a discussion of what means justified the ends, and it seemed like people were pretty willing to say do whatever it takes to win. I personally think that will lead us to a horrific situation.

Supreme Court turns away Planned Parenthood defunding case

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/12/10/supreme-court-planned-parenthood-defunding-case-845056

The Supreme Court on Monday declined to hear a case that takes up whether states can block Planned Parenthood and other abortion providers from their Medicaid programs and would have served as the first major abortion test for the court’s new conservative majority.

Justice Clarence Thomas joined by Justices Samuel Alito and Neil Gorsuch dissented from the decision not to take up Andersen v. Planned Parenthood of Kansas and Mid-Missouri — one of a pair of petitions from Kansas and Louisiana seeking the ban on abortion providers. It takes four justices to agree to accept a case.

3 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

Kavanaugh declined to see the case? Really? What the fuck?

Yep, really. Either he and Roberts see some technical issue in the case that would've messed up their longterm judicial plans (which I doubt, since Gorsuch would've probably recognized any such issue too; Alito and Thomas wouldn't care) or this is Roberts being concerned about court legacy and somehow has leverage on Kavanaugh to keep him in line too (since it only takes 4 justices to agree to hear a case).

Or, and I find this least likely of all, Kavanaugh doesn't want to defund Planned Parenthood.

Despite conservative efforts to paint PP as slaughterhouses, I think they are aware that it provides many necessary medical services and if they were to kill it, there would be a backlash. Especially at this time when GOP is hemorrhaging female voters. 

14 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

Despite conservative efforts to paint PP as slaughterhouses, I think they are aware that it provides many necessary medical services and if they were to kill it, there would be a backlash. Especially at this time when GOP is hemorrhaging female voters. 

I think where the rubber hits the road when it comes to abortion is going to be rulings on laws that purposely put big limitations on abortion clinics in red states, for example requiring hospital admitting privileges for doctors and specialized and expensive architecture in the clinics. That is how abortion rights will be attacked and we'll see what the justices will go along with.

Then, down the road once there are a bunch of holes in abortion rights, they may move to strip the right completely. But, they won't do that right off.

But more important than the differences between Ryan and Trump are the similarities. Yes, Ryan is decorous and polite where Trump is confrontational and uncouth, but the say-anything brand of politics that so outrages Trump’s critics is no less present in Ryan’s recent history. How else can we read a politician who rose to power promising to reduce deficits only to increase them at every turn? Or a politician who raked in good press for promising anti-poverty policies that he subsequently refused to pass?

And as ridiculous as some of Trump’s claims have been, his baldfaced lies that his inauguration was better-attended than Obama’s was a less consequential violation of the truth than what Ryan said when asked about the tax bill: “I don’t think it will increase the deficit.” Note that the tax bill is already increasing the deficit.

Ryan’s campaign for his failed Obamacare repeal bill was thick with similarly brazen deceptions, like that the legislation would strengthen protections for preexisting conditions, when in fact it would gut them.

“What made Ryan attractive to analysts and journalists across the spectrum was that he’d engage in a thoughtful dialogue with you,” says Bob Greenstein, president of the liberal Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, “but that didn’t mean that 10 minutes later, in front of the cameras, he wouldn’t say something that was at best misleading and at worst invalid.”

In important ways, Trump is not a break from the Republican Party’s recent past but an acceleration of it. A party that acculturates itself, its base, and its media sphere to constant nonsense can hardly complain when other political entrepreneurs notice that nonsense sells and decide to begin marketing their own brand of flimflam.

Ultimately, Ryan put himself forward as a test of a simple, but important, proposition: Is fiscal responsibility something Republicans believe in or something they simply weaponize against Democrats to win back power so they can pass tax cuts and defense spending? Over the past three years, he provided a clear answer. That is his legacy, and it will haunt his successors.

Sooner or later, Trump’s presidency will end, and there will come a new generation of Republicans who want to separate themselves from the embarrassments of their party’s record. As Ryan did, they will present themselves as appalled by both their party’s past and the Democrats’ present, and they will promise to lead into a more responsible future. The first question they will face, and the hardest one to answer, will be: Why should anyone believe they’re not just another Paul Ryan?

Paul Ryan’s long con
He betrayed his promises and left a legacy of debt and disappointment.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/12/10/17929460/paul-ryan-speaker-retiring-debt-deficits-trump

Archived