Football: The art of lowering expectations

Consigliere

From previous thread:

@Soylent Brown

Anyway, the United - Arsenal highlights were entertaining. I think Arsenal have been the most enjoyable team to watch so far this season; they play good football at times, but there's also an element of chaos in so many of their matches, helping keep the teams they play in the game and keeping the stakes high.

Yeah, Arsenal have been a very entertaining watch this season. One concern though is the high intensity system that they are using. We had this discussion before the season that Klopp's high intensity system could result in Liverpool tailing off in the latter part of the season especially after a WC. However, it seems Klopp has reined in the intensity a bit and set up more conservatively. So that observation now applies more to Arsenal.

Personally, I think City are from a pure footballing perspective more enjoyable to watch. You can argue, that it's not entertaining without a proper competition. But like I said in the last thread, I'd usually advice to view it, as the Globetrotters vs. a various Generals teams each week. The majority of the teams have no stocks in the title race anyway, as for Liverpool fans, like I said, just watch the City games for comedic value, and keep in mind, that United and Everton will have to play them at least once more this season. You can't stop them collecting points week in, week out, anyway.

On an unrelated note (not sure whether I mentioned it), I met a City fan a few weeks ago at the stadium (he was from Burnley, I think, and coworkers took him to the game), I couldn't help but ask him, what's more enjoyable for him, his team on cruise control in the league, or the Mourinho drama at United. For him it was the Mourinho drama (it was not even close).

47 minutes ago, baxus said:

@Consigliere

I guess it has something to do with a couple of decades of United winning everything and not all United fans being as graceful about it as you ;) 

Sure. Every club has their petty fans. I remember back in the early 90's when Souness was in the process of destroying Liverpool after decades of success, I thought of it as a nice bonus but I never went out of my way to tune into Liverpool games out of morbid curiosity just to watch them fumbling (although I do know a number of United fans who did precisely that) when there was better football to watch.

I sure as hell never considered Liverpool failing to be more enjoyable than United winning. Never understood people who think like that - taking greater pleasure from a rival stumbling than your own team playing great football and winning especially if your team is at a level never seen before in the clubs entire history makes no sense to me.

56 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Sure. Every club has their petty fans. I remember back in the early 90's when Souness was in the process of destroying Liverpool after decades of success, I thought of it as a nice bonus but I never went out of my way to tune into Liverpool games out of morbid curiosity just to watch them fumbling (although I do know a number of United fans who did precisely that) when there was better football to watch.

I sure as hell never considered Liverpool failing to be more enjoyable than United winning. Never understood people who think like that - taking greater pleasure from a rival stumbling than your own team playing great football and winning especially if your team is at a level never seen before in the clubs entire history makes no sense to me.

What Baxus said. For him it was exactly that. After decades of being the shit team (or noisy neighbours to invoke a person of note form the United lore), while United were on top of the world, them now coming down in such a manner was just priceless. And you don't have to watch the United games, to laugh at the Mourinho drama. Just his pressers are enough. This is  Arsenal's slow decline under Wenger during the past few years on steroids. And Mourinho is simply not as graceful in dealing with that as Arsene was. Mourinho is just this total trainwreck with all those meltdowns. And like I said, it was some weeks ago.. (just checked the match schedule it was 28th of october), when it was one of the many Mourinho meltdowns (I think he was throwing Shaw under the bus or something).

You have to admit, as long as he is not at your club throwing tantrums, Mourinho meltdowns are comedy gold.

I should also admit, that me watching our rival club in a hillarious fashion during the past couple of years was often times a source of continuous laughter for me. With an investor/fan, demanding the head of whichever DoF was in charge every 10 months or so, otherwise he would not open his purse again (with club shares as collaterals obviously), and their fan scene more or less at each other throats, and really shambolic performances on the pitch. And aforementioned investor giving Trumpian interviews from his finca on Mallorca (calling the entire board inept morons, while demanding calm and cool heads in the same interview).

2 hours ago, Consigliere said:

I see some City fans still have the tinpot club mentality then. I know, for me, if the situation was reversed I wouldn't even spare City a second thought. 

Most Utd fans are cheering City to win the title so that Liverpool won’t.  Every set of fans has their own pettiness and Schadenfreude; it just varies who they view as their rival they care most about. 

I try (half-heartedly?) to not be petty, but I'd be lying if I didn't admit that United's current woes is bringing me a not insignificant measure of joy. And the fact that it's Mourinho at the helm makes it all the sweeter. My United supporting friends have had a lot of years of giving me stick, so it's nice to be able to give a little back. 

And Ferguson himself took the Utd job with the stated purpose of knocking Liverpool off their fucking perch. So it's not as if it's just parents-basement-dwelling incel fans who get in on the schadenfreude action.

But I'd obviously take LIverpool winning the league over ManU being in trouble. 

33 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Gomez has a fracture, out for ~6 weeks. Great. 

Could be worse. It's presumably not a particularly bad break if they're only talking about 6 weeks out and at least he hasn't fucked his ankle ligaments. This is probably about as good as it was going to get with a player stretchered off and then Klopp talking about it not looking good after the game.

1 hour ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Most Utd fans are cheering City to win the title so that Liverpool won’t.  Every set of fans has their own pettiness and Schadenfreude; it just varies who they view as their rival they care most about. 

This is not the same as saying you get more enjoyment out of a rival failing than your own team winning though. It's like if Liverpool win the league but then a Liverpool fan says that he/she had got more enjoyment from watching United finish 8th than Liverpool winning a league title. That crosses the line from Schadenfreude to downright stupidity. 

51 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

This is not the same as saying you get more enjoyment out of a rival failing than your own team winning though. It's like if Liverpool win the league but then a Liverpool fan says that he/she had got more enjoyment from watching United finish 8th than Liverpool winning a league title. That crosses the line from Schadenfreude to downright stupidity. 

Yes, however, I think after the dominant showing last season, and City not really showing that many signs of slowing down, part of them might take the league for granted. Basically the Bayern mindset, we will win the league, we are interested in the CL.

A pity for Gomez.  He'll probably miss ten matches during a pivotal phase in the PL.

At least if we move to a European super league we'll only have to worry about Sergio Ramos deliberately injuring our players.  I'm assuming Mourinho won't still be managing one of Europe's top teams by then.

3 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Most Utd fans are cheering City to win the title so that Liverpool won’t.

If this is true and I'm not at all sure that it is it comes down almost entirely to the fact that Liverpool are two title wins away from drawing back level with United in the overall count whereas City are fifteen.

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Yes, however, I think after the dominant showing last season, and City not really showing that many signs of slowing down, part of them might take the league for granted. Basically the Bayern mindset, we will win the league, we are interested in the CL.

Possibly. I still find it odd though. City are the best team in the league and they will in all likelihood win the title again but it's not like they are 10+ points clear and cruising. I, myself, took quite a bit of joy in seeing Souness destroy Liverpool but that came nowhere near my enjoyment of watching United win the league. 

At least with Bayern fans one can understand the complacency since historically Bayern have dominated German football to a ridiculous degree. With City however, they were completely and utterly irrelevant until Mansour came along. One would think that a long suffering City fan, while taking some glee in United's predicament, would derive much more enjoyment from their own club being at the pinnacle of English football after enduring decades of mediocrity. 

1 hour ago, Iskaral Pust said:

City versus Chelsea on Monday,

It's not Monday, it's the 5.30 Saturday kickoff.

Anyway, I think Sarriball might be a bad style matchup for Pep's team but I'm not sure Chelsea are currently executing it well enough to make a difference. It's one game where the madness of playing Kante in attacking midfield might actually make sense, though.

Archived