Football: The art of lowering expectations

Consigliere

Ok the somewhat negative attitudes of the Liverpool supporters in here I think comes down to nervousness at actually having a chance and looking like one of the top teams in our division for once. We know how rarely that happens and how the team has blunderred away a few chances to win the league since 1990.

6 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

I hope United draw Real Madrid or one of the other big boys. We are playing so shit that even if we draw Porto, we'd probably still park the bus and get eliminated. Since it's highly unlikely we get beyond the next round regardless of the opponent, I'd much rather we go out in a glamour tie. 

That's the attitude I had last year too.  Going all the way to the CL final requires an improbable run of form and luck, so you need to enjoy the hell out of the journey regardless of how far it goes.  Once we're in the knock-outs, it's more fun to get the big glamour tie and have fun against an opponent who probably won't sit deep against you.  I get tired of PL games that are big team attacking versus small team defending.  It's really fun to watch two big teams go toe-to-toe with no fear.

1 minute ago, lmanion said:

Ok the somewhat negative attitudes of the Liverpool supporters in here I think comes down to nervousness at actually having a chance and looking like one of the top teams in our division for once. We know how rarely that happens and how the team has blunderred away a few chances to win the league since 1990.

We're all emotionally scarred from 2013-4*, not to mention 2008-9 and the CL finals in 2007 and 2018 and EL final in 2016.  We have a strong track record of outperforming expectations to become a close contender, and then fall at the final hurdle as fatigue catches up with our smaller squad.  It's the hope that kills you, so it must be firmly suppressed. 

*The first Liverpool fan who starts singing "We're going to win the league" will get savaged by all around him.  It's a deep taboo now.

45 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

This year all the groups have been won by the top seed, except for Dortmund narrowly edging out Atletico.  So fewer surprises to cause unexpected match-ups in the next round.

And Lokomotiv, who finished bottom of their group. Russia is just ahead of Portugal in the coefficient so they got the final top seed.

2 hours ago, Philokles said:

And Lokomotiv, who finished bottom of their group. Russia is just ahead of Portugal in the coefficient so they got the final top seed.

Good point.  I overlooked Lokomotiv.  They were the top seed but nowhere near to being the best team in that group.  So general expectations were fulfilled, other than BvB over Atletico.  And expectations for Lokomotiv were more realistic than their seeding.

Fantastic game. Team looks so much better than a few weeks ago. As Isk said, it's almost like Klopp knows what he's doing.

We've started applying more gegenpress than at the start of the season, and Firmino and Salah are both approaching proper form.

Mané's finishing is still off, but that'll come. 

We absolutely bossed Napoli for 75-80 minutes tonight, and should have put the game away before the nervy ending.

As opposed to the Napoli game, where I can't remember a shot on target, we were all over them.

Then, when newly minted right back Lovren decides to throw his arms out in a matadoresque flourish while letting the ball go to an unmarked milik three feet from goal, Allison steps up and saves the day (pun pun pun). What a difference to Migs and Karius.

Virgil will be suspended for the first knockout game. Let's hope that doesn't prove decisive.

Bring on ManU on Sunday. We should be clear favourites, but I never feel safe against our biggest rival. We've not had their number in recent years.

1 hour ago, Mark Antony said:

Matip out until February. Fucking shame after he had his two best performances in a long long time these past couple games. Now we have rely on Lovren staying fit.

That's not ideal. I was reasonably sanguine about Gomez's injury but if we're reliant on Lovren playing every game over Christmas with his injury history that's probably a bit of an issue.

5 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

That's not ideal. I was reasonably sanguine about Gomez's injury but if we're reliant on Lovren playing every game over Christmas with his injury history that's probably a bit of an issue.

Yeee. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Fabinho emergency CB at some point. 

Quick takes while the games are still running.

Ajax-Bayern is by far the most exciting game. With red cards penalties and goals galore, bloody great game.

United has been comedy gold. With Pogba's incredible miss in the first half and jones own goal.

Upset of the evening. Young Boys versus Juve.

And Donezk are the luckiest team in the cmpetition by a mile, Hoffenheim on the other hand, are the most unlucky or dumbest team.

Oh, and Sane is actually very good, like really, very good. Esp. his freekick was well taken.

Joel Matip’s collarbone was fractured right at the end of the Napoli game.  He’ll be out for six weeks. 

That’s really hard on a player who played really well in the last couple of games after finally getting a run in the team.  And very difficult for the team with Gomez out for the same period, and Lovren only just back from a concussion.  

No news yet on whether TAA or Milner will be available at RB either this weekend, but I don’t think either are long term absentees.

United rested most of their starters tonight.  They’ll be a lot fresher for the weekend game. 

3 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Joel Matip’s collarbone was fractured right at the end of the Napoli game.  He’ll be out for six weeks. 

That’s really hard on a player who played really well in the last couple of games after finally getting a run in the team.  And very difficult for the team with Gomez out for the same period, and Lovren only just back from a concussion.  

No news yet on whether TAA or Milner will be available at RB either this weekend, but I don’t think either are long term absentees.

United rested most of their starters tonight.  They’ll be a lot fresher for the weekend game. 

I don't see how we can mount serious pressure on City and continue deep in to the CL with all these injured players.Klopp has to buy in Jan,no other way around this.

God...i don't want to see Clyne and Lovren back again together! :wacko:

No point buying in Jan as it will take 2-3 months+ for new players to adjust and by then the injured players will be back and season will be over. Masterson looked really good during preseason, so i expect him to start slotting in at CB. Fabinho might have to start at right back and swap with Milner, until TAA and Clyne (what's his injury?) are back. Camacho can play there as well. All are familiar with the system now so should be easier to adapt than a total newbie.

5 hours ago, The Winged Shadow said:

No point buying in Jan as it will take 2-3 months+ for new players to adjust and by then the injured players will be back and season will be over. Masterson looked really good during preseason, so i expect him to start slotting in at CB. Fabinho might have to start at right back and swap with Milner, until TAA and Clyne (what's his injury?) are back. Camacho can play there as well. All are familiar with the system now so should be easier to adapt than a total newbie.

It was Nat Phillips who played (and played well) during preseason, not Connor Masterson.  Both have been injured most of this season so far, with Phillips only making one appearance recently as he tries to get back to match fitness.  But Masterson, who has lately played a handful of games after a long term injury, is well regarded within the youth program and generally viewed to be an even better prospect than Phillips.  But Masterson did not get to play with the senior team in preseason, nor has he had a pre-season to build fitness for this season.

(I haven't been following our youth players closely, but there was an update on both this week after Matip's injury)

I doubt Klopp wants to buy a new CB in January with Matip and Gomez due back at the end of January.  Any CB good enough to join the team immediately, e.g. Alderweireld, might be redundant in the longer term.  Unless we plan to move on from Lovren next summer.

In fairness to Lovren, he looked really solid alongside VVD last season and led a very tight defense in the second half of the season, even with Karius in goal.  But he is error-prone and injury-prone, and he plays on the same side as TAA who is struggling this season.  In just a few minutes against Napoli he almost got us knocked out of the CL (watch him let Milik walk past him for that late shot).  And if he picks up any injury with lots of intense games, then we'll be relying on makeshift alternatives.

I'd buy another RB in January before a CB.  Wan-Bissaka would be great; perhaps offer Origi in part exchange since Palace badly need a striker.

United are such a bogey team for us now, like Southampton used to be in the 1980s-1990s.  We haven’t beaten them in the PL in almost five years, despite outplaying them every time.  I’m hoping we can break the pattern on Sunday, but fully expecting a stifles game of fouls and time-wasting, and already half expecting them to get a soft penalty (looking at you, Lovren) after parking the bus. 

Archived