Football: The art of lowering expectations

Consigliere

Mourinho won't be sacked even if Liverpool thump us 6-0. He won't be sacked even if we lose to Cardiff and/or Huddersfield either. It highly unlikely that Woodward will pull the trigger until top 4 is no longer mathematically possible just like he did with Moyes - there's probably a clause in Mourinho's contract that will significantly reduce his payout for failing to qualify for the CL just like there was with Moyes. Allowing a manager to tank an entire season doesn't make much sense but that's what happens when a club is run by people who care more about commercial sponsorships than football.

4 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

TAA has had the odd bad game, but he's way better than either Clyne or Gomez at right back. Especially Clyne.

Offensively, sure. I think people forget how good Clyne was in Klopp’s first season though. Played like 50+ games and was extremely solid.  

22 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Offensively, sure. I think people forget how good Clyne was in Klopp’s first season though. Played like 50+ games and was extremely solid.  

Yes, Clyne is cripplingly limited in his attacking play against a defensive opponent but generally very good as a defensive RB.  TAA is better going forward — albeit with some matches this season where his crossing has been very poor — and generally OK defensively but definitely the weakest link in the defense.  

I think we use an upgrade at RB soon, although I don’t see many playing very well.  Azpi is great defensively but limited in attack, Moses was good at RWB but not RB, Walker (probably the best) is good at attacking but prone to errors at the back, Bellerin has improved again lately but still generally better going forward than defending, Trippier is good at crossing but not the fastest or a great defender, Aurier has improved but was erratic for a long time, Dalot has had a few good games with plenty of space to attack but no idea yet how he’ll fare against quality opponents.  Wan-Bissaka has shone at Palace, but hard to know if he can play as well in the system required by the bigger teams.

We need a right-footed version of Andy Robertson. 

22 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Yes, Clyne is cripplingly limited in his attacking play against a defensive opponent but generally very good as a defensive RB.  TAA is better going forward — albeit with some matches this season where his crossing has been very poor — and generally OK defensively but definitely the weakest link in the defense.

Obviously, as neither Gomez nor Lovren are RB. They are centrebacks.

TAA is young and can improve, and will improve defensively as gets more experienced. So I don't see Liverpool spending big to replace a perfectly fine young homegrown talented RB. And you seem yourself unsure about who would be an upgrade and available.

It's possible that Liverpool will bring in another fullback, but then somebody who can preferably play on both sides as a backup/rotation option. But I don't see Liverpool going shopping for a starting fullback.

I think another versatile attacking midfielder/attacker is more likely to be on Klopp's shopping list. As in, no idea how AOC's knee holds up, and to have another option to give Firmino a rest or competition. But overall I think Liverpool's squad looks rather well balanced. It's not like there's that big gaping hole that really needs to be plugged somewhere.

On 12/14/2018 at 3:35 AM, Iskaral Pust said:

It was Nat Phillips who played (and played well) during preseason, not Connor Masterson. 

My bad! Thanks for correcting.

As for Clyne, I think he will be fine. Pool will do what they do when Gomez plays at right back, which is keep the RB back and allow the right mid to go further forward. Clyne is a good defender and knows the system. Only doubt is about his rhythm after missing so many games. Liverpool have enough flexibility in their attacking play that his limited attacking play won't be a hindrance, assuming they go with someone more creative in that side (Shaq or Fabinho, rather than Gini, for exaxmple).

20 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Obviously, as neither Gomez nor Lovren are RB. They are centrebacks.

TAA is young and can improve, and will improve defensively as gets more experienced. So I don't see Liverpool spending big to replace a perfectly fine young homegrown talented RB. And you seem yourself unsure about who would be an upgrade and available.

It's possible that Liverpool will bring in another fullback, but then somebody who can preferably play on both sides as a backup/rotation option. But I don't see Liverpool going shopping for a starting fullback.

I think another versatile attacking midfielder/attacker is more likely to be on Klopp's shopping list. As in, no idea how AOC's knee holds up, and to have another option to give Firmino a rest or competition. But overall I think Liverpool's squad looks rather well balanced. It's not like there's that big gaping hole that really needs to be plugged somewhere.

Much like Gerrard debuted as a right (or was it left?) back, there's an expectation that Trent will move to midfield as he matures. Seeing as his defensive positioning and 1-on-1 are his biggest weaknesses, and his technique, passing and crossing are so good, it would be a shame if he "wasted" his career at right back. And as Klopp clearly prefers attacking full backs, Clyne is a stop gap solution at best. So we need some cover (that isn't Gomez, whose best position is CB, as you point out) and ideally someone who can make the RB position theirs in years to come. 

As Isk said, a right-footed Robbo would be perfect. Matt Doherty has looked tidy this season.

And here's to breaking our duck of bad results against ManU in the league of the past few seasons. 

2 hours ago, Mme Erzulie said:

his technique, passing and crossing are so good, it would be a shame if he "wasted" his career at right back.

good fullbacks are really rare these days, so I would not consider it a waste by any stretch. And you can have quite a big impact from those positions, too. Ask Lahm about it. He wasted most of his careers as a fullback.

As someone who doesn’t rate Leno, I didn’t think it was too bad. It was a perfectly placed cross from Long to tempt the keeper to come for it. Even if he had stayed put, Austin would likely have scored regardless as it was a free header from close range. I would apportion more blame on Koscielny who decided not to track his man when he was the only threat in the box. On the basis of today’s perfomance he is still very rusty after the injury and wouldn’t be playing if Emery had a choice.

Archived