Football: The art of lowering expectations

Consigliere

Players are definitely on strike.

Thing is, I sympathise. I mean, yeah, they get paid outrageous amounts of money and are letting us as fans down and all that but... if I get a shocking awful bully manager who I hate at work, I can quit. They can't, and there obviously isn't anything like a proper HR department to deal with it. So they can either do this or take it properly public, neither of which are accepted as viable options. And yeah, sure, they get paid lots as I say, but in the moment where you feel you're trapped in a poisonous relationship with someone with power over you, I bet that's not easy to remember.

So I don't like see it but I also won't condemn the players for it- it's been obvious for a very long time that Mourinho needs to be gone.

Game went as I expected it to. All one way traffic.

9 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Players are definitely on strike.

Thing is, I sympathise. I mean, yeah, they get paid outrageous amounts of money and are letting us as fans down and all that but... if I get a shocking awful bully manager who I hate at work, I can quit. They can't, and there obviously isn't anything like a proper HR department to deal with it. So they can either do this or take it properly public, neither of which are accepted as viable options. And yeah, sure, they get paid lots as I say, but in the moment where you feel you're trapped in a poisonous relationship with someone with power over you, I bet that's not easy to remember.

So I don't like see it but I also won't condemn the players for it- it's been obvious for a very long time that Mourinho needs to be gone.

I can't really blame the players either. Mourinho has a history of making good players look like shit in his 3rd season meltdown. Look what he did to a title winning Chelsea squad and even at Real Madrid, he made a world class squad look average. If it was not for prime Ronaldo, Real would have ended that season with 70-75 points - that's how poor they were. 

Woodward needs to shoulder plenty of the blame as well. It's been clear for some time now that Mourinho needs to be sacked especially given there is nothing in his career to suggest he is capable of turning a situation like this around. It's a damning indictment of those in charge at United that they are happy to allow a manager to tank an entire season just to save some money. At most other clubs, and every single top club, Mourinho would have been sacked by October.

I just finished watching the Liverpool game after a busy morning with my family. 

A very satisfying win and a really dominant performance.  I was disgusted by their jammy goal but thankfully the team bailed out Alisson after his error, as they have before (the Leicester game comes to mind), just like he’s bailed them out with some important saves in other games.  Fabinho was MotM for me and Shaqiri was the super sub.  Great timing by Klopp at that point to bring him in because United were sitting so deep and we had just seen both Lovren and VVD take long range shots; the team needed to avoid playing into United’s hands.  Firmino, Mane, VVD, Gini and Robertson (aside from his unusually poor crossing) all stood out too.  Clyne & Lovren did a solid job considering their long absence from first team action, but whatever attacks United did attempt came from crosses on their side. 

While it’s nice to see United lose it’s absolutely painful to watch it.  They parked the bus, fouled a lot, wasted time, hoofed the ball and looked like they were a division below us.  Right now they’re a dirty bunch of scumbags and I’m embarrassed for any of their fans who defends/cheers their shithousing (several thousand of whom attended the game today).  Lukaku should have been sent off, and the referee was ridiculously lenient with their attempts to injure players. 

11 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Lukaku should have been sent off,

There is no argument whatsoever for Lukaku needing to be sent off, unless you're going by the rules that he put in the cross that led to the goal for a second yellow which is probably fair because you lot do need protection from all that awful 'playing against us' but by that argument Lingard should have gone as well, and Fellaini defended a bit when he came on in the second half before you took control so two yellows for him as well, and in any case we abdicated as well as we plausibly could so I don't know what you're moaning about.

Probably a good job Pogba wasn't involved because he'd definitely have played at least two card-worthy long passes into threatening positions and we don't need all those suspensions over the Christmas season.

37 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Lukaku's challenge was poor, but really no more than a yellow.

I think that’s generous.  He lunged into a dangerous high tackle that had nothing to do with winning the ball.  “Excessive force” is one of the criteria for a red card, and that was the most force the useless lump managed all day. 

Putting aside my personal view, I gave twitter a quick search and found literally one person calling for a red card for Lukaku for that. There's more calling for one for Keita (which is also silly) but if there was any actual controversy over it you can bet your arse there'd be hundreds of calls and some actual replays of the incident uploaded. You are most definitely in the minority view on this.

1 minute ago, polishgenius said:

Putting aside my personal view, I gave twitter a quick search and found literally one person calling for a red card for Lukaku for that. There's more calling for one for Keita (which is also silly) but if there was any actual controversy over it you can bet your arse there'd be hundreds of calls and some actual replays of the incident uploaded. You are most definitely in the minority view on this.

I disagree.  I think it’s just that the overall result and performance make that single question pointless.  Liverpool fans are relieved to finally get the victory after our-playing them every time, and glad for no serious injuries from all those fouls.  Expecting the referee to actually hold United accountable, especially after they got away with even worse against Arsenal, is both pointless and now meaningless.  

I just cannot help being galled by it.  Burnley get justly criticized for the very same kind of play. 

11 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I think it’s just that the overall result and performance make that single question pointless.  Liverpool fans are relieved to finally get the victory after our-playing them every time, and glad for no serious injuries from all those fouls.

Oh, come on. This is miles wrong. If people really thought that had been a red-worthy challenge twitter would have exploded with people complaining about it, and highlighting it, immediately after and at half time, long before the result was settled.

In any case your implication that we don't get called out for this kind of stuff is mad. Rojo and Fellaini especially do get away with it from refs, sure, but they and we get knocked for it all the time, quite rightly (a lot more rightly than any criticism of Burnley would be but since they're not a particularly dirty team they don't really get that much) but we weren't particularly bad for it in this game, no worse than you.

Arsenal got an absolute shitkicking. You were fine.

Draw for CL round of 16 starts in a few hours,11 am GMT to be precise.Predictions? :D

I predict:

Liverpool vs Porto
Atletico Madrid vs Manchester City
Barcelona vs Manchester United
Bayern Munich vs Tottenham Hotspur
Borussia Dortmund vs Roma
Juventus vs Lyon
Paris Saint-Germain vs Schalke
Real Madrid vs Ajax

8 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Anyway,really tough draw for us.We will have to be at our very best over the two legs against Bayern.

Are you kidding? This is arguably one of the best draws Liverpool could hope for. Bayern are on the verge of a rebuild (with the aging Ribery and Robben playing their last season there, Boateng being a shadow of his former self), because they are not the team they used to be 3-4 years ago. And they struggle against teams that have a go with a high intensity at them (which team does that?). So Liverpool are kinda the worst match up for them. Just look at their last game against Ajax.

If Liverpool plays at their normal levels they should be able to tear Bayern a new one.

Archived