Football: The art of lowering expectations

Consigliere

Bayern is a good draw for Liverpool.  I expect an exciting game, especially compared to Juventus or Real.  Bayern are bang out of form lately but it's difficult to predict what they'll be like when the CL resumes.  They have good enough players to bounce back but this generational transition isn't going well so far.  I assume Mueller will be suspended for at least one of the games, if not both, after his red card, although he won't be as big a loss as VVD suspended for the first leg.  Can you imagine Lovren marking Lewandowski?

City got a very kind draw, not that that they needed it.  But finishing top of your group gives you a better chance of getting that easier tie.  If Liverpool had just beaten Red Star in the away game then we would have topped our group too (from pot 3!).

United may be prioritizing the CL by the time the knock-out games arrive.  Between United's rate of fouling and PSG's rate of diving, I expect stoppages could consume more than half of their games.

Spurs vs Dortmund should be great entertainment, and Spurs have a decent chance.  This is a very young Dortmund team who might struggle to maintain their form.

Chelsea and Arsenal got relatively nice draws in the EL too.

That was ... unexpected at this time. 

That said, it clearly was the best move possible, as I reckon every poster on this board could do a better job of motivating the United players than can Mourinho atm, and tactically they could possibly be left to themselves to reproduce more or less what the Sulking One can do. 

What I'm saying is that United can replace him with the Busby bust, and still do just as well as today - with an uptick in morale.

As for who actually replaces him, I have no clue.

50 minutes ago, mormont said:

:commie:

I'm honestly shocked.

Our season is already in the toilet so I don't see us managing to recover enough to challenge for top 4 anyway but it will be a relief to not have Mourinho's toxicity around. He really turned us into a circus this season. 

Now, United is a club in more or less crisis these days. Falling to unknown depths in the league, leaking goals, no disipline..

There's only one man for that job - the England manager with a 100% record!

Step forward Samuele Allardici!

ETA: it has been mentioned somewhere that a young, up-and-coming English manager is currently doing all right-to-well just to the north of England. He may be worth a punt.

47 minutes ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Zidane is my bet.

No chance of that. United's official announcement says that they are looking to appoint an interim manager for the remainder of the season. Apparently Solskjaer is on the shortlist. 

1 minute ago, Mexal said:

Weak. 

Don't know what you mean. It's rather obvious, except for the morons on twitter, that this was a marketing campaign and not Pogba waking up in the morning and arranging a professional photoshoot just to troll Mourinho all in the space of 1 hour. Then you have Adidas themselves confirming that this was a pre-planned marketing campaign. But I guess it's fashionable to hate on Pogba.

1 minute ago, Consigliere said:

Don't know what you mean. It's rather obvious, except for the morons on twitter, that this was a marketing campaign and not Pogba waking up in the morning and arranging a professional photoshoot just to troll Mourinho all in the space of 1 hour. Then you have Adidas themselves confirming that this was a pre-planned marketing campaign. But I guess it's fashionable to hate on Pogba.

I wasn't hating on Pogba. I was really hoping he was throwing shade at Mourinho cause Mourinho is an asshole.

Just now, Mexal said:

I wasn't hating on Pogba. I was really hoping he was throwing shade at Mourinho cause Mourinho is an asshole.

Fair enough. Although, I don't think Pogba would stoop so low. He's never shown himself to be a petty manchild like Mourinho.

Was Anfield singing “don’t sack Mourinho” the final straw?

Did Mourinho actually win this situation by sabotaging the team so badly that he got fired while CL qualification is still possible, thereby getting a full payout?

As much as I’m glad that I won’t have to watch another Mourinho parked bus, it’s a real pity he won’t be destroying United any longer.  

Will any top club hire Mourinho again?  Italian football suits him.  But knowing Liverpool’s luck he’ll end up at Bayern before our CL tie, with Fellaini signing for him in January.

11 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Will any top club hire Mourinho again?  Italian football suits him.  But knowing Liverpool’s luck he’ll end up at Bayern before our CL tie, with Fellaini signing for him in January.

Doesn't speak German. Arsene is a more likely candidate than Mourinho. Besides, Mourinho is damaged goods now, I think.

50 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

No chance of that. United's official announcement says that they are looking to appoint an interim manager for the remainder of the season. Apparently Solskjaer is on the shortlist. 

Since we are throwing names around. Caretaker with United ties... Hasn't Hughes played for United? Or Steve Bruce?

Nah, I think Solskjaer sounds like a sound bet. Otherwise, I should think that Blanc should be a candidate,

Archived