Football: The art of lowering expectations

Consigliere

City are just toying with us, right?

Liverpool finished today strongly, and rested a couple of players with early subs. 

Spurs delivered another thumping victory against a solid mid-table opponent.  That’s eleven goals scored in two games with little rest against challenging opponents.  Now ahead of City in the table.  I’m pretty sure they don’t think it’s only a two horse race. 

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Numbers are great, but all they show is that they were good enough to beat most of the Bundesliga comfortably regardless. When it came to how they looked against the best and especially in Europe though... yes, they were worse. Heyncke's team made the best teams in Europe look like children. Guardiola's didn't.

I disagree, Heynckes was also lucky to some extent in the CL (which you need to be if you want to win it). His team was spared from major injuries in the important phase of the season, then it was also the year with Barca's manager Tito Vilanova getting diagnosed with cancer, which was surely not an easy situation on their squad. And Dortmund took out Madrid (who were the team to beat that year imo), and they were arguably the better side in the final. So in a way it was the perfect storm, with his players also having that extra motivation to send Heynckes off in the best possible way.

Like I said in 14/15 Guardiola's Bayern were rather hard strucked by injuries. Ribery, Robben, and ofc Thiago Alcantara (who was pretty much Bayern most important player in midfield). That's really like the United team around the 2000s missing Giggs, Beckham, and Scholes with injuries.

I also think Bundesliga is a pretty fair comparission, as in both Heynckes and Guardiola had pretty much the same opposition to deal with over the span of a full season.

Wow. If Liverpool beat City on the 3rd January then they surely have it in the bag.

10 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

It’s the hope that kills you. 

Leeds score two goals after 90 minutes to win 3-2. Bielsa’s certainly a lot of fun.

Second game in a row Leeds win 3-2 in the last second. You’re a Blackburn fan I guess? How is Dack doing? His form seems to have dipped a little.

13 minutes ago, Philokles said:

Second game in a row Leeds win 3-2 in the last second. You’re a Blackburn fan I guess? How is Dack doing? His form seems to have dipped a little.

Nah, I’m a Liverpool fan. I’m just enjoying watching Leeds this year.

ETA: Brighton in trouble already.

3 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Nah, I’m a Liverpool fan. I’m just enjoying watching Leeds this year.

I see, first sentence was about Liverpool winning the title. I thought you supported one of the big clubs. Agreed with Leeds, I don’t like the club but hope they get promoted as I want Bielsa in the Premier League.

Liverpool definitely favourites now. A big factor that scuppered Liverpool's title bid the last time was a porous defence. This time they are rock solid defensively and don't even look like conceding most of the time. The City/Liverpool game in a weeks time is going to be a must win for City which could expose them to Liverpool counters. They (City) can't afford to approach the game in a more conservative manner like they did at Anfield. 

As for United, it was another game where we pretty much dominated. While it has only been Cardiff and Huddersfield, it's good seeing us actually taking the game to, and dominating, this type of opposition. Under Mourinho (and not just this season) we consistently made these teams look better than they actually were. Our defending of set-pieces and crosses remains poor though.

City really need a backup for Fernandinho - someone good enough to take over from him as well. They're heavily linked with De Ligt but will face stern competition from Barca and possibly Real Madrid as well (Marcos Llorente is currently backup to Casemiro and that is a huge step down in quality). Ruben Neves would be a good alternative. Recent rumours saying that Allan is a target as well. 

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

So how much is Özil paid for not playing again? :leaving:

Shrugs. I would have never paid Ozil a new contract. Most of this team needs to go. I'd keep Torreira, Lacazette and Aubameyang; the rest are negotiable.

40 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

City really need a backup for Fernandinho - someone good enough to take over from him as well. They're heavily linked with De Ligt but will face stern competition from Barca and possibly Real Madrid as well (Marcos Llorente is currently backup to Casemiro and that is a huge step down in quality). Ruben Neves would be a good alternative. Recent rumours saying that Allan is a target as well. 

Wasn't de Ligt bound for Paris after the season?

6 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Wasn't de Ligt bound for Paris after the season?

That was de Jong. Don't know if that is a done deal because Barca remain interested in him as well. De Telegraaf reported that PSG reached an agreement with Ajax over the transfer fee and they are usually reliable.

17 hours ago, Disturber of Peace said:

Liverpool fans now feeling more unsure than ever if they should be optimistic in their outspoken thoughts about winning the title. 

Hell, no!

It'd take being 10 points ahead of the competition with 3 matches left to play for me to start being optimistic about Liverpool winning the title.

17 hours ago, Philokles said:

Wow. If Liverpool beat City on the 3rd January then they surely have it in the bag.

You are aware we're talking about Liverpool? Liverpool NEVER has ANYTHING in the bag.

Archived