Awards Season 2019 - Movie Edition: Show Must Go On! (UPDATE: Oscar Noms, SAG Winners)

Mladen

4 minutes ago, Ran said:

FWIW, MI has never won the award. I think @HelenaExMachina is right and that it is probably a reaction to Cruise pushing the boundaries due to making it a part of his brand.  If it weren't for that, maybe it would have won. But once you take out MI, BP was the most coherent and expansive stunt work among the remaining nominees. Stunt ensemble is about the stunt team, not about the CGI.

Yeah I certainly wouldn't give the stunt award to any of the other nominees. Kind of bizarre that they are even nominated. 

Managed to watch Green Book finally. I really enjoyed it, maybe more than any of the other Oscar noms this year. I guess it was a bit more of a crowd pleaser. 

But I will say that I will totally give the lead actor award to Mahershala Ali.. the problem being that he's up for supporting actor. Pretty hard to say who is the lead in that movie, but Ali was fantastic in it, everything about his performance is subtle and incredibly well observed. Viggo is great too, but it rolls over into caricature a little bit and while that is enjoyable to watch, Ali was just brilliant

• 2 weeks later...

And the Academy is getting some bad press again. The awards for cinematography, editing, makeup, and live-action short will not be presented live. They'll still be there, just during commercial breaks, so you need to go online to find out who got them. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/academy-unveils-4-oscars-categories-be-presented-commercial-breaks-1185505

Some people are upset, and I'll agree that cinematography and editing shouldn't be treated this way. 

"Out of the frying pan, into the fire" is what's happening to Academy these days.

The entire issue with the Oscars, ratings of telecast, entire host conundrum... This should end... I always like this time of the year, movie wise, but this is getting really, really UGLY. 

Just now, HelenaExMachina said:

If you missed the ceremony BBC put up a compilation on their YouTube page, some lovely speeches. 

Of course there are some lovely speeches... It's BAFTA. British do speeches much better :D 

BAFTA WINNERS

Best Film
"BlacKkKlansman"
"The Favourite"
"Green Book"
"Roma"
"A Star Is Born"

Outstanding British Film
"Beast"
"Bohemian Rhapsody"
"The Favourite"
"McQueen"
"Stan & Ollie"
"You Were Never Really Here"

Outstanding Debut by a British Writer, Director or Producer
"Apostasy" -- Daniel Kokotajlo
"Beast" -- Michael Pearce, Lauren Dark
"A Cambodian Spring" -- Chris Kelly
"Pili" -- Leanne Welham, Sophie Harman
"Ray & Liz" -- Richard Billingham, Jacqui Davies

Film Not in the English Language
"Capernaum"
"Cold War"
"Dogman"
"Roma"
"Shoplifters"

Documentary
"Free Solo"
"McQueen"
"RBG"
"They Shall Not Grow Old"
"Three Identical Strangers"

Animated Film
"Incredibles 2"
"Isle of Dogs"
"Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse"

Director
Spike Lee, "BlacKkKlansman"
Pawel Pawlikowski, "Cold War"
Yorgos Lanthimos, "The Favourite"
Alfonso Cuarón, "Roma"
Bradley Cooper, "A Star Is Born"

Original Screenplay
"Cold War"
"The Favourite"
"Green Book"
"Roma"
"Vice"

Adapted Screenplay
"BlacKkKlansman"
"Can You Ever Forgive Me?"
"First Man"
"If Beale Street Could Talk"
"A Star Is Born"

Leading Actress
Glenn Close, "The Wife"
Lady Gaga, "A Star Is Born"
Melissa McCarthy, "Can You Ever Forgive Me?"
Olivia Colman, "The Favourite"
Viola Davis, "Widows"

Leading Actor
Bradley Cooper, "A Star Is Born"
Christian Bale, "Vice"
Rami Malek, "Bohemian Rhapsody"
Steve Coogan, "Stan & Ollie"
Viggo Mortensen, "Green Book"

Supporting Actress
Amy Adams, "Vice"
Claire Foy, "First Man"
Emma Stone, "The Favourite"
Margot Robbie, "Mary Queen of Scots"
Rachel Weisz, "The Favourite"

Supporting Actor
Adam Driver, "BlacKkKlansman"
Mahershala Ali, "Green Book"
Richard E. Grant, "Can You Ever Forgive Me?"
Sam Rockwell, "Vice"
Timothée Chalamet, "Beautiful Boy"

Original Music
"BlacKkKlansman"
"Isle of Dogs"
"Mary Poppins Returns"
"A Star Is Born"

Cinematography
"Bohemian Rhapsody"
"Cold War"
"The Favourite"
"First Man"
"Roma"

Editing
"Bohemian Rhapsody"
"The Favourite"
"First Man"
"Roma"
"Vice"

Production Design
"Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald"
"The Favourite"
"First Man"
"Mary Poppins Returns"
"Roma"

Costume Design
"The Ballad of Buster Scruggs"
"Bohemian Rhapsody"
"The Favourite"
"Mary Poppins Returns"
"Mary Queen of Scots"

Makeup & Hair
"Bohemian Rhapsody"
"The Favourite"
"Mary Queen of Scots"
"Stan & Ollie"
"Vice"

Sound
"Bohemian Rhapsody"
"First Man"
"Mission: Impossible -- Fallout"
"A Quiet Place"
"A Star Is Born"

Special Visual Effects
"Avengers: Infinity War"
"Black Panther"
"Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald"
"First Man"
"Ready Player One"

British Short Animation
"I'm OK"
"Marfa"
"Roughhouse"

British Short Film
"73 Cows"
"Bachelor, 38"
"The Blue Door"
"The Field"
"Wale"

EE Rising Star Award
Barry Keoghan
Cynthia Erivo
Jessie Buckley
Lakeith Stanfield
Letitia Wright

1 hour ago, Risto said:
Adapted Screenplay
"BlacKkKlansman"
"Can You Ever Forgive Me?"
"First Man"
"A Star Is Born"

While he apparently received a special award in 2002, that's Spike Lee's first BAFTA.  Don't know how I'd feel if Lee got his first Oscar in large part as a reaction to Trump (he should have gotten at least a couple for Do The Right Thing and Malcolm X).

On 1/28/2019 at 9:57 PM, Risto said:

SCREEN ACTORS GUILD AWARDS

Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture:
A Star Is Born
WINNER: Black Panther 
BlacKkKlansman 
Bohemian Rhapsody 
Crazy Rich Asians

I don't disagree with that result. But damn was there no other movie that could be nominated in place of Crazy Rich Asians? IMO the movie was just OK, so there must have been some other ensemble cast movies that were better. I would say Infinity War was better as an ensemble cast movie than CRA (better than BP too IMO), after all it did a helluva job juggling all those personalities and giving each one decent service.

Also, in terms of turning in a collective acting performance I like BKkK more. In fact I liked BKkK more than Black panther in pretty much every way that matters for a movie. So in any head to head match up between BP and BKkK my vote would go to BKkK. BKkK made me love Adam Driver, because I fricken hate him in Star Wars (though to be fair, it's not him that I hate, but rather what Star Wars makes him do, I guess I actually think he's done the best job that could be done in that situation, he was just served a shit sandwich).

36 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Bohemian Rhapsody is a British film?

It looks like it's a mix, with American and British companies involved.

On a side note, doing a Google search of "Bohemian Rhapsody" brings up mainly results of the movie, you have to go way down to find references to the song. ffs!

23 hours ago, Corvinus said:

It looks like it's a mix, with American and British companies involved.

On a side note, doing a Google search of "Bohemian Rhapsody" brings up mainly results of the movie, you have to go way down to find references to the song. ffs!

That should normalise, back to the song / the band being top of the search lists, with a bit of time

On 2/14/2019 at 2:54 PM, DMC said:

While he apparently received a special award in 2002, that's Spike Lee's first BAFTA.  Don't know how I'd feel if Lee got his first Oscar in large part as a reaction to Trump (he should have gotten at least a couple for Do The Right Thing and Malcolm X).

You could argue the case of him getting awards because of the political situation right now if BKkK wasn't really a worthy film. But it's a damned good film and deserves whatever awards it gets on its own merits. I'd be more inclined to say that Black Panther is benefiting from the political mood by being nominated in categories it has no business being nominated in, esp, but not only, best picture Oscar.

8 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

You could argue the case of him getting awards because of the political situation right now if BKkK wasn't really a worthy film. But it's a damned good film and deserves whatever awards it gets on its own merits.

Oh I didn't mean to suggest he wouldn't deserve it.  While I haven't seen it, from all reviews I've read it sounds like he/it's deserving.  Just saying it's unfortunate that him finally winning could be marred by people saying the award was in part due to the political environment, which probably would have some validity to it.

What has happened to the Oscars, this is now the 2nd or 3rd time they roll out something new, it gets a ton of backlash, and then they shelve it.  Of course the idea that cinematography and editing categories would have been given out during commercials or otherwise cut down is nutty to begin with, so I wonder, who is in charge that they thought this was a good idea?

• 2 months later...

I had to chuckle when I saw the nominations for the MTV Movie and TV awards....U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has scored 4 nominations.  My personal favorite is in the category for Best Fight...

Best Fight
“Avengers: Endgame” – Captain America vs. Thanos
“Captain Marvel” – Captain Marvel vs. Minn-Erva
“Game of Thrones” – Arya Stark vs. the White Walkers
RBG” – Ruth Bader Ginsburg vs. Inequality
“WWE Wrestlemania” – Becky Lynch vs. Ronda Rousey vs. Charlotte Flair

I really hope she wins this category!

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/avengers-endgame-game-of-thrones-rbg-lead-mtv-movie-tv-award-nominations-1203214680/

Archived