MLB Offseason 2018: Harper, Your Herald Boras Sings

PyroclasticFlow

For first, sure I'd take him over Bird. But if they got Marwin AND traded Andujar, who plays third? Walker? Hechavarria?

I really wish Drury didn't have migraines and we kept him.

Well, if they traded Andujar then Marwin would play third, or second or short.  It'd be him, Torres and _______ for those three positions.  I agree with your inclination that Walker would probably be tops to fill that blank until Didi gets back.

Lots of chatter about a three-way that would entail Syndergaard ending up on the Yanks.  LOL.

So Harold Baines is a HoFer. Like that really happened. You know who was on the same Today’s Game ballot as Baines? Orel Hershiser. Now even though I love him with every ounce of my being, I’m not necessarily saying that Orel deserves to be in the HoF, but he deserves it much more than Harold Baines. 

Not to keep piling on Harold Baines - he was a solid player for a lot of years, but that's all he was. I read that during his eligibility window he never got more than 6% of the HoF writers' vote. That's bonkers.

I have no issue with Lee Smith getting in. Those numbers put up today probably wouldn't merit consideration, but he was one of the first dominant "closers" (post Gossage/Fingers/Sutter) and had a strong argument for being best at his position for a number of years.

And yes, that McCutchen contract is abysmal. The Braves showed some interest but I'm glad they weren't willing to overpay by such a ludicrous amount.

26 minutes ago, DMC said:

Such a meh move.  Would like to see how the vesting option is broken down, if anyone comes across that.

Only info I’ve seen is that the vesting option is worth $17mm and is based on innings pitched/games started. No word yet on how many innings pitched or games started before the option vests. 

• 2 weeks later...

Saw an interesting analysis that demonstrates that if the Yankees don't sign Machado or Harper (or both, which they can afford), they are being cheap ass bastards, and every Yankee fan should be pissed at ownership:

Yankees revenue has increased by an average of five percent per year since the new stadium opened, so using that number we could estimate that the Yankees took in $650 million in 2018. The $193 million spent on payroll represents only $29.7% of that figure. This means that the Yankees quite possibly spent the lowest percentage of revenue on payroll among the 30 teams.

29 minutes ago, PyroclasticFlow said:

@DMC, does the signing of Tulo further push the needle on the odds of the Yanks trading Andujar into “Possibly” territory? 

Or is he just a Torreyes replacement?

Well, I wouldn't say Toe replacement - if he doesn't have a starting spot by the end of Spring Training I expect there's at least a handshake deal to release him.  But, yes, infinitely closer to Toe replacement than increasing the odds of trading Andujar.

Archived