MLB Offseason 2018: Harper, Your Herald Boras Sings

PyroclasticFlow

Looks like best case scenario for the Yanks at this point is signing Machado and Britton.  Was thinking about, and it'd almost be like they bought the O's a year ago and reinvested in the only things worthwhile.

Yanks sign DJ Lemahieu for 2/24.  Another meh signing - just fine in a vacuum but almost certainly means the Yanks will not be signing either Machado nor Harper.  I got MLB ticket last season cuz I was excited for the Yanks.  I will not be doing so again, fuck the cheap ass MLB.  I've never been more pro-strike in my life.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Yanks sign DJ Lemahieu for 2/24.  Another meh signing - just fine in a vacuum but almost certainly means the Yanks will not be signing either Machado nor Harper.  I got MLB ticket last season cuz I was excited for the Yanks.  I will not be doing so again, fuck the cheap ass MLB.  I've never been more pro-strike in my life.

I am livid that he is the big ticket acquisition of the offseason. Hal Steinbrenner is the second coming of Jeff Wilpon.

6 hours ago, DMC said:

They have the 3rd ranked starting pitching in baseball, according to Fangraphs' projections.

It isn't about the ranking of the current five on paper, CC is just coming off heart surgery, Paxton has never pitched more than 160 innings in a season. I'm concerned we're in for another season of 15 or 20 starts from Domingo German, Loaisiga and who ever else they can trot out there.

Yeah, the rotation is fragile.  Just pointing out that they're depth is just as good as almost anybody's - German/Lasagna/Adams are pretty great 6-8 starters comparatively.  I agree they could use a veteran swingman though, especially since I'm still assuming they'll trade Gray and I'm pretty sure Cessa is out of options (which means he'll probably be DFA'd or traded before the season).  Something like picking up Liriano sounds good.

So sounds like they're finalizing a deal of Gray for Shed Long (the Reds' 7th ranked prospect), their competitive balance round draft pick, and a lesser prospect.  That draft pick is 36 right now.  I like Long, looks like a pretty good lefty hitter who will start next year in Triple A, and really like the draft pick.  That's cool.

The Gray deal is finally done, although specifics on what the Yanks are getting back beyond Long have yet to be reported.  The deal was being held up because the Reds wanted to sign Gray to an extension - which they did for 3/30.3, with a $12 million club option for a fourth year.  Combined with this years salary, the Reds have control over Gray potential through 2023.  Why a team would be so interested in locking up Gray for 5 years after the season he just had is beyond me, but whatever.  Hope the Yanks get that pick!

ETA:  Oh shit, just saw this - 

Now I have to look up who Josh Stowers is...

ETA II:  Alright, the specifics of the deal seem to be confirmed now - 

• Reds get: Sonny Gray and lefty pitching prospect Reiver Sanmartin
  • Mariners get: Second base prospect Shed Long
  • Yankees get: Center field prospect Josh Stowers and a Competitive Balance Round A draft pick

Love that pick!  Looked up Stowers, and while it's true they needed more outfield than infield depth in the minor leagues, I would have preferred Long - closer to the majors and a lefty.  Oh well, doesn't seem to much difference between the two in terms of them as assets, and I guess at least with Stowers the Yanks theoretically have more development time with him than Long.

HoF Class of 2019 has been announced:

Lee Smith, Harold Baines, Edgar Martinez, Roy Halladay, Mike Mussina, and Mariano Rivera.

Solid class. And most notably, Mariano Rivera is the first unanimous selection. Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens still aren't in, but are inching upwards; this time they hit 59.5% and 59.1% respectively.

Pleasantly surprised Mo becomes the first ever unanimous selection - figured at least one writer would be an asshole.  Also pleasantly surprised Moose got in.  And happy Clemens and Bonds moved up incrementally - I think keeping out every PED player is absurd - but still doesn't look like they'll hit the 75% before they run out of eligibility.

19 minutes ago, DMC said:

Pleasantly surprised Mo becomes the first ever unanimous selection - figured at least one writer would be an asshole.  Also pleasantly surprised Moose got in.  And happy Clemens and Bonds moved up incrementally - I think keeping out every PED player is absurd - but still doesn't look like they'll hit the 75% before they run out of eligibility.

Honestly, kind of bugs me that Mo was unanimous. It's not some stand that if Babe, or Gehrig or all those legends were unanimous no one should, it's more of a practical thing. There were plenty of guys on the ballot that could have used the votes. The fact that some guys who had good careers are one and done, is kind of silly. Lance Berkman and Roy Oswald are the two that jump out at me as guys who you can kind of make a case for, and then there is the guys who could use some momentum for next year, like Larry Walker or Scott Rolan.

Archived