MLB Offseason 2018: Harper, Your Herald Boras Sings

PyroclasticFlow

2 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Seeing as it's the MLB and they're trying to fix problems that aren't truly problems overall, all in the name of bringing fans back and growing the product, yet they continue to blackout games keeping people from actually consuming the product...is it supposed to make sense?

Let potential fans view games? You're crazy! But seriously, blackouts are the worst thing to happen to baseball. How many fans has baseball lost due to pace of play? They're more likely to push fans away with this shit.

3 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Let potential fans view games? You're crazy! But seriously, blackouts are the worst thing to happen to baseball. How many fans has baseball lost due to pace of play? They're more likely to push fans away with this shit.

The individual clubs must like it though. I wonder when/if Congress ever looked at this more closely. 

5 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Is this an MLB thing or an FCC/Cable thing?

I think it's just an MLB thing. Maybe it could be challenged by going after baseball's anti-trust exemption, but does anyone in Congress really want to get on that train?

16 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

12 years, $430,000,000.00

Ho-ly ****

Dumb. Trout is a generational player, but in baseball you need a lot more than one guy to sustain any kind of success. They will have to continue shelling out boatloads of cash to other FAs, cross their fingers and hope they put it all together before Trout's inevitable decline. 

The flipside is that they're doing this for leverage - lock him up now so that you maintain the ability to trade that gargantuan contract 2 or 3 years down the road to a Yankees/Dodgers type huge spender who's willing to eat the back end of that deal. I can't think of another logical reason for the Angels to do this. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

12 years, $430,000,000.00

Ho-ly ****

Still a bargain.

The value per WAR of a positional player isn't firmly established, but it's usually pegged at around $6 million. Mike Trout has averaged 9.2 WAR per season, which means, if you think his production is going to remain at his current level, his contract should be worth $55.2 million per year; this is still not close to that.

6 minutes ago, Fez said:

Still a bargain.

The value per WAR of a positional player isn't firmly established, but it's usually pegged at around $6 million. Mike Trout has averaged 9.2 WAR per season, which means, if you think his production is going to remain at his current level, his contract should be worth $55.2 million per year; this is still not close to that.

Yes, the contract is worth it. To a team with a hope of contending. 

If all he's doing is helping the Angels win 80 games instead of 71 games, then it's not worth it to them. 

1 hour ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Dumb. Trout is a generational player, but in baseball you need a lot more than one guy to sustain any kind of success. They will have to continue shelling out boatloads of cash to other FAs, cross their fingers and hope they put it all together before Trout's inevitable decline. 

The flipside is that they're doing this for leverage - lock him up now so that you maintain the ability to trade that gargantuan contract 2 or 3 years down the road to a Yankees/Dodgers type huge spender who's willing to eat the back end of that deal. I can't think of another logical reason for the Angels to do this. 

18 minutes ago, Fez said:

Still a bargain.

Fez has the right of it. It’s a huge contract, but unlike Harper, Trout is a sure thing and literally has a chance to be the best player ever. You never let that kind of talent leave the building.

Also, the Angels have a monster T.V. deal, valued at around $150m a year, so they can afford to spend. And besides, the value in owning a sports team is not to make an annual profit, it’s to grow the value of the franchise, and Trout certainly helps to achieve that goal.

3 hours ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Yes, the contract is worth it. To a team with a hope of contending. 

If all he's doing is helping the Angels win 80 games instead of 71 games, then it's not worth it to them. 

The Angels have more than enough resources to compete with Trout on this deal - which I agree is very good market value.  In fact, having the best player in the world on a market value deal should give them an advantage in competing, all else being equal.

Okay, y'all have convinced me. I guess when you've got a player as transcendent as Trout and you can't manage to win a playoff game over a seven year stretch, it doesn't engender a lot of confidence in the organization. They've still got a ways to go, particularly with the pitching staff, but Trout is also still only 27 so there's time. 

Also, kudos to the guy for wanting to stay with the same team his whole career, despite the fact that the Yankees or someone else would certainly have thrown a lot more money at him. You don't see much of that anymore. 

4 minutes ago, PyroclasticFlow said:

Ichiro starting was a nice gesture by Servais to the Japanese fans. 

Also, it appears they subbed him out while he was playing defense.  That way he got the huge ovation as he came off the field.

Ichiro is confirmed as retiring after this last Japan series game today. Ichiro coming to the US and that first season is one of the major memories I have of baseball, partly because it is coupled with the amazing 2001 season, but also he was just so cool and exotic. He remains the only sports figure I have ever had on my bedroom wall.

11 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Sawks extend Sale through 2024 for $150 mm

Sounds about right.  The real question is when are they gonna sign Kimbrel?  You can't go into October with that bullpen.

Archived