MLB Offseason 2018: Harper, Your Herald Boras Sings

PyroclasticFlow

10 hours ago, DMC said:

Because you were suggesting the Yankees may be better off without the return of at least Stanton, Andujar, and Frazier.  And maybe Hicks, Didi, and Judge as well.

Except that is not what I was trying to say.  I was just pointing out that it isn't something that can be definitively known, as if it were a fact.  Indeed I never even mentioned 5 of the 6 players you mentioned.  The point is, you can't know, definitively what the answer would be.  Which is why you are right that it is a stupid question, because the answer is not knowable, but your above point is really apropos of nothing.

3 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Honestly I prefer Frazier over Hicks. And when he's back Clint is the one who is shit out of luck. 

There's room for both.  The guy that's gotta go to the bench for Frazier to take over is Gardner, which I think they're willing to do now.  Or at least I hope.

1 hour ago, .H. said:

The point is, you can't know, definitively what the answer would be.

Well, no, no one knows anything "definitively."  That's a ridiculous standard.

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

There's room for both.  The guy that's gotta go to the bench for Frazier to take over is Gardner, which I think they're willing to do now.  Or at least I hope.

Well, no, no one knows anything "definitively."  That's a ridiculous standard.

So far this season he has showed he deserves to more than a fourth outfielder. I don't know why they locked Hicks up for so long.

19 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I don't know why they locked Hicks up for so long.

Yeah, if Frazier ends up being a long term piece they're gonna get jammed up when Hicks needs to move to a corner in a few years.  That's one of those thing you figure will work itself out, and don't really worry about 3-4 years out.

13 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah, if Frazier ends up being a long term piece they're gonna get jammed up when Hicks needs to move to a corner in a few years.  That's one of those thing you figure will work itself out, and don't really worry about 3-4 years out.

That's the point, I'm afraid he's not going to get the chance to become that long term piece with Stanton, Judge and Hicks blocking him. Obviously he isn't going to play in front of any of them unless they DH Stanton full time.

Well, for the time being there's certainly room.  You can shift Judge and Stanton on DH duties and have Frazier as the other corner as long as Hicks can man center.  When Hicks can't is, hopefully, a few years out, so really no need to worry about it now.  Frankly if this becomes an issue I expect they'll just keep Hicks at center for far too long - like Bernie except at least Hicks has an arm.  Pretty awesome arm at that.

16 minutes ago, DMC said:

Well, for the time being there's certainly room.  You can shift Judge and Stanton on DH duties and have Frazier as the other corner as long as Hicks can man center.  When Hicks can't is, hopefully, a few years out, so really no need to worry about it now.  Frankly if this becomes an issue I expect they'll just keep Hicks at center for far too long - like Bernie except at least Hicks has an arm.  Pretty awesome arm at that.

I have a sneaking suspicion they are going to have to give Andujar time at DH too.

1 minute ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I have a sneaking suspicion they are going to have to give Andujar time at DH too.

Most certainly.  And Sanchez, and Voit.  There's enough DH time to go around.  And based on these past couple months, probably good to shift it around to try and keep everyone healthy.

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

Most certainly.  And Sanchez, and Voit.  There's enough DH time to go around.  And based on these past couple months, probably good to shift it around to try and keep everyone healthy.

I miss the days when there was one DH to be honest, because if there are so many a guy like Frazier might as well be sent to AAA if he still has options where he can actually play or be used as trade bait.

15 hours ago, DMC said:

Well, the Cards had Rick Ankiel, who def had that type of breakdown.  As for general sports:  David Duval.

Asked my Dad, it was Glenallen Hill. And the story was even weirder than I thought, as in addition to arachnophobia and nightmare, there was sleepwalking involved. Per Wiki:

During his early career, Hill was forced to go on the disabled list after suffering injuries during a sleepwalking incident. Hill, an arachnophobe, had a nightmare about being attacked by spiders and in the process went sleepwalking to try to get away. When he woke up from the incident, he had cuts all over his hands and feet due to walking across shards of broken glass from a table he knocked over and also fell down a flight of stairs. His teammates began calling him "Spiderman" afterwards.

35 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Asked my Dad, it was Glenallen Hill. 

Ah.  I recall Hill from when he was on the Giants.  Do not recall his breakdown or issues.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Ah.  I recall Hill from when he was on the Giants.  Do not recall his breakdown or issues.

Main Hill memory I have is the homerun he hit for the Cubs that landed on a rooftop across from Wrigley...

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

So it's May and the Twins have the best winning percentage in MLB. Didn't see that one coming, especially when you consider some of the guys we're missing.

They even took one game in the Bronx. Progress!

ETA: Just saw a crazy stat about Joey Gallo. He’s the first player to ever hit 100 homers before his 100th single.

15 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

They even took one game in the Bronx. Progress!

We were looking past the pathetic Yanks, taking three of four from the superior Astros. And last night we smashed the blue birds 9-1.

ETA: Just saw a crazy stat about Joey Gallo. He’s the first player to ever hit 100 homers before his 100th single.

There’s a weirder Gallo stat, but I can’t remember it ATM. It’s something like he just hit his first sacrifice run or pop up out. Something that shouldn’t take over four seasons to happen.   

Man, after a quarter of the season it is time to acknowledge the extent to which Cody Bellinger is tearing it up.  Looked up Trout's 23 yo season (not sure but I think Cody's July 13 bday usually qualifies as 23), and he should match that as long as he stays healthy.  Hell, even though it's very unlikely Cody's gonna keep up this pace, he has a fighting chance to match Harper's magical age 22 season in 2015.

Archived