MLB Offseason 2018: Harper, Your Herald Boras Sings

PyroclasticFlow

On 4/10/2019 at 10:48 PM, Myshkin said:

Super unclassy Cards.

I went to game 4. Found a great seat cheap on stubhub. Sat next to an old timer and his wife, both Dodgers fans. Dude was awesome, though the wife seemed disinterested in our baseball chatter other than an occasional nod and acknowledgement of a name she recognized. Anyway, he agreed that it was possibly the strangest game either of us had ever seen life. 

I can't even begin to describe how many strange things happened. Wacha was pitching meatball after meatball, 92mph up in the zone with no movement. Those first three innings, every damn Dodger was hitting hard hit fly balls - even the pitcher then Keke hit dingers. Buelher couldn't hit the strike zone. Bader got hit twice(!) with the bases loaded. Then scored from second on a wild pitch that ricocheted crazily off the catcher like past the damn home dugout. We scored four runs in the second off two singles, and eleven runs off only two doubles. The Dodgers scorecard says 2 errors, but it felt like 15 (and about 6 for us). Our RF Martinez innocently tossed a ball into the stands, only it sailed about 10 feet over his target and into a family, causing bodies to crash and knock over a bunch of food, and he spent a half inning sheepishly glancing over and waving apologies. A beer guy tried to hand me a beer from 3 rows away instead of one of us simply walking 5 feet, dropped it, and let out a loud F-Bomb, and was then scolded by an old lady Cardinal usher (which was about as Cardinals as it gets, to me).

Going to a Thursday day game is weird on its own - when you leave do you just keep drinking and then lose a Friday? Let the buzz run its course til you feel bad at dinner time? Why do I do this to myself? I love baseball.

3 hours ago, briantw said:

I don't follow baseball so I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about other than Wall having a shit contract.

Figured you followed all sports.

A super highly payed player has set a record by whiffing on his first 53 at bats. It's painful to watch.

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Figured you followed all sports.

A super highly payed player has set a record by whiffing on his first 53 at bats. It's painful to watch.

Mostly just basketball and football for me.  Never got into hockey or baseball.

I'd be happy if the Indians won a World Series because it'd be good for Cleveland, but I wouldn't really care all that much myself. 

44 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Not to worry, the Orioles start a series with the Red Sox, whose rotation is sure to help Davis break his slump.

I think Davis' contract is staggeringly less profitable than Wall's. Wall is seriously handicapping their roster salary, but there's still hope he will come back mid-season and play well enough. Basically, he still has a chance to not be a disaster. Davis is just shockingly fallen off a cliff the last two years and they still owe him a ton. 

I adore Pujols - even if he just shit on St Louis yet again for them not offering as much as LAA, get over it dude! - but his contract is still, I think, the worst lost value in MLB. They paid him 181 mil so far and only got 13.1 WAR out of him, and could become negative for the rest of it. Ouch. 

NBA contracts can be pretty terrible, like Joakim Noah's super-crappy 4 years in New York, but that was only 72 million. I think baseball albatrosses are the worst, though.

3 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Not to worry, the Orioles start a series with the Red Sox, whose rotation is sure to help Davis break his slump.

Ouch.  Good self-burn, although looks like the Sox are starting to right the ship.

2 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Chris Davis got a hit! The streak is over! Dante knows his team.

Three hits and four RBI, off three different pitchers. So far. Not coincidentally, Porcello was not offered a contract extension by the Sox.

Remarkable how consistent this stat was for  2017 MLB Batting Ratio according to Baseball Reference.Com.

About a quarter of all at bats result in a linedrive and that was for every single 2017 team in MLB. The low was 23% for the Angels and high was 28% for the Tigers with every single other club falling between 24-27 %

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB/2017-ratio-batting.shtml

It seems like something Billy Bean might appreciate under the heading of "not to overpay" for big name sluggers.

Archived