MLB Offseason 2018: Harper, Your Herald Boras Sings

PyroclasticFlow

New thread for Fantasy Baseball 2019 for anyone interested. We typically run one league a year with about 9-10 active owners -- would be great to have another one or two active owners! Also looking for owners to start up a dynasty league -- we tried to get one started last year but a bit too late before the start of the season.

So the Yanks signed Sevy to an extension - essentially 4/40 with a 15 million option for the fifth year.  As a Super Two, that buys out his four years of arbitration and potentially gives them control of a fifth, if they want.  Damn good deal for the Yanks, and Sevy gets security.  Me like.

3 minutes ago, PyroclasticFlow said:

Machado to the real home of the Chargers for 10 yrs $300 million. What does this mean for Harper approaching spring training games? Wasn’t he offered similar $ from the Nats? 

For some reason, I have this itching notion that the Yanks will come out of nowhere and sign Harper

Doubt it.

4 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Agreed.

But does Harper get a dime less or a day shorter?

Plus, Machado will likely be looking for a way out by the end of year three when the Padres continue to suck...

My guess now is that Harper gets a slightly larger deal just so it can be said that he beat Machado’s deal

9 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

My guess now is that Harper gets a slightly larger deal just so it can be said that he beat Machado’s deal

The Phillies though?  

Who else would it be. Much as I'd like the Cubs, it's not happening...

19 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Plus, Machado will likely be looking for a way out by the end of year three when the Padres continue to suck...

The Padres have a deep, deep farm system.  They may be on the verge of coming out of a long funk.  Four of the top ten MLB.COM prospect LHP are Padres.  Five of the top 35 prospects overall.  Obviously, they won't be able to keep them all together once the time for FA comes, but until then they could be pretty scary.

29 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

The Phillies though?  

Who else would it be. Much as I'd like the Cubs, it's not happening...

Phillies and White Sox have seemed to be the most aggressive teams throughout the offseason that still have come up (largely, in the Phils case) empty.  There have been murmers about the Giants but I don't see that happening.  Could go back to the Nats. 

No matter where it is, I bet Harper makes more than Machado, either in years, AAV, or both.  Was wondering if all this waiting meant the two would have to take lower-than-expected deals.  Just like last year, doesn't seem to be the case for elite free agents, they just have to wait really long.

51 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

His opt out as after the 5th year, rather than the 3rd, which is kind of surprising - the 3rd year opt out would have let him hit the market again after a new CBA is reached (if ever).  But, I agree with Bronn that the Padres could be quite competitive pretty soon with that farm system.  Guys are starting to arrive.

I don’t get why baseball teams offer these super long deals. Are these two worth $30m a year? Probably not, but it’s not the end of the world. Will they be worth that in their mid-30’s? God know, history says, unless you’re in the conversation for the best player ever (Bonds).

29 minutes ago, PyroclasticFlow said:

I couldn’t even fathom. OF with Harper, Franchy, Franmil, Margot also Myers/Renfroe. 

Infield Hos, Kinsler, Urias, Machado with Hedges/Mejia catching.

Their pitching staff doesn’t impress though, only a few exceptions

Tatis is coming.  Kinsler is a band-aid, maybe not even for one year.

The pitching is in the minors.  Plus, they somewhat rely on the ballpark to make ordinary pitchers better.

28 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I don’t get why baseball teams offer these super long deals. Are these two worth $30m a year? Probably not, but it’s not the end of the world. Will they be worth that in their mid-30’s? God know, history says, unless you’re in the conversation for the best player ever (Bonds).

Because they have to.  History shows someone will.

Archived