MLB Offseason 2018: Harper, Your Herald Boras Sings

PyroclasticFlow

24 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

Because they have to.  History shows someone will.

And how often has that worked out? I'd much rather offer a guy $200m over 5 or 6 years than getting stuck in the length of the deal. 

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

And how often has that worked out? I'd much rather offer a guy $200m over 5 or 6 years than getting stuck in the length of the deal. 

So would everyone.  So far that hasn't been accepted by anyone.

7 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

So would everyone.  So far that hasn't been accepted by anyone.

You just have to offer it when they're young, like at age 26. There's only one guy worth that contract in MLB today and it's neither of these two.

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

You just have to offer it when they're young, like at age 26. There's only one guy worth that contract in MLB today and it's neither of these two.

I think you're nuts if you don't think someone offered Harper a shorter contract at a very high rate.

19 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

I think you're nuts if you don't think someone offered Harper a shorter contract at a very high rate.

You’re probably right, but I didn’t seen much reporting on it. Look, I get teams will be suckered into making these deals, but the Padres aren’t a team that should be doing that. Unless I am mistaken, they are not a franchise that can afford to burn money.

35 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The notion that huge long term contracts don't work out much is not empirically supported.  The notion that huge long term contracts when the guy is around 30 and don't is, but this is different.  MLB just updated the biggest contracts in history.  ARod's first deal was amazing value, let alone worked out.  His second deal sucked because of how old he was.  As did Pujols', and Cano's will these last few years (although he's arguably provided enough value already).  Price was a bad signing at 29, yeah, but Scherzer actually has already been way more productive than possibly imagined, and more than worth it.  Fielder and Grienke?  Yeah, most people thought those were stupid when they happened.  Also, since I'm Yankee centric, here's a deeper dive into the big long-term contracts they gave out throughout the past 20 years.  Are there some busts?  Sure, but there's more that were definitely worth it.

Anyway, the point is Harper and Machado ARE 26 right now.  That means you're getting their 26/27-35/36 seasons on a 10 year deal.  That's fundamentally different than getting their 31-40 seasons because of how much you actually should benefit on the front end if they maintain elite level play for ~4-5 years.

31 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Are..are you arguing against yourself here?  They ARE that young - actually younger than Trout by a bit.  Just because Trout would get ~$400-450 million on the open market doesn't mean ~$300-350 million isn't market value for Harper and Machado.

Hoh boy, Aaron Hicks signed a 7 (!) year contract extension worth $70 million with a club option for an eighth year.  That is absolutely GREAT AAV for a guy like Hicks, and should be great value these next few years if he stays healthy.  But still, a 7 year extension for a 29 year old non-elite player?  You don't see that type of length often.  Whatever, though, it ain't my money and I love me some Hicksie!

57 minutes ago, DMC said:

Hoh boy, Aaron Hicks signed a 7 (!) year contract extension worth $70 million with a club option for an eighth year.  That is absolutely GREAT AAV for a guy like Hicks, and should be great value these next few years if he stays healthy.  But still, a 7 year extension for a 29 year old non-elite player?  You don't see that type of length often.  Whatever, though, it ain't my money and I love me some Hicksie!

Smart signing by the Yankes at that AAV. I have to think that Hicks could get more ... but he now has financial security for life. He's made about 8M - career to date - with a 6M arb contract this year. Locking in $70M would be pretty nice.

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

Harper to Phillies, 13 years for $330, no opt outs.  Other than the 330 number, not the greatest deal for him.

And what other OF is gonna be available in a few years from Philly? Could you even fathom Trout and Harper on the same team??? It would be like the Braves in the 90s, just pencil them in to win the division every year. For that to happen though they would have to shed a lot of salary.

Forgive me while I stew that the Yanks couldn't match an offer that's (slightly less than) $25.5 million AAV for Bryce Harper.  Just offer him an opt out or two to make it better.  If he opts out, who cares, it's a probably a good thing!

10 minutes ago, DMC said:

Forgive me while I stew that the Yanks couldn't match an offer that's (slightly less than) $25.5 million AAV for Bryce Harper.  Just offer him an opt out or two to make it better.  If he opts out, who cares, it's a probably a good thing!

George is rolling over in his grave.

36 minutes ago, DMC said:

Harper to Phillies, 13 years for $330, no opt outs.  Other than the 330 number, not the greatest deal for him.

Well, it's permanent protection for him against injury risk, and he did have that knee problem a couple seasons ago. Also protection against the chance that the next labor agreement makes it harder to get big deals like this. And when the number for career earnings gets that big, there's a pretty attractive upside to just locking it in. That's enough money for him and any descendants to never work again, assuming its properly invested. 

5 minutes ago, Fez said:

Well, it's permanent protection for him against injury risk, and he did have that knee problem a couple seasons ago. Also protection against the chance that the next labor agreement makes it harder to get big deals like this. And when the number for career earnings gets that big, there's a pretty attractive upside to just locking it in.

The point is you could easily insert an opt out after the CBA expires to maintain flexibility.  And I think most teams wouldn't mind to much.  There's no downside to that on the players side - I'm sure we'll see many players not exercising their opt out in the next couple years based on this market.  And speaking of that, Harper turned down 10/300 cuz he thought he could get a better deal on the open market.  The open market just told him fuck you.

Just now, DMC said:

The point is you could easily insert an opt out after the CBA expires to maintain flexibility.  And I think most teams wouldn't mind to much.  There's no downside to that on the players side - I'm sure we'll see many players not exercising their opt out in the next couple years based on this market.  And speaking of that, Harper turned down 10/300 cuz he thought he could get a better deal on the open market.  The open market just told him fuck you.

True, though I blame Boras for that. I think he screwed this up; quite badly actually and that probably also contributes to Harper never wanting to have to deal with free agency again. I also wonder if Harper was only able to get a deal that long (and therefore a total that large) by giving up any player opt outs.

Just now, Fez said:

True, though I blame Boras for that.

It's easy and convenient to blame Boras.  And I do.  Same thing happened with ARod when he opted out.  Boras almost entirely fucked him over until ARod turned to Warren Buffett of all people for advice.

3 minutes ago, Fez said:

I also wonder if Harper was only able to get a deal that long (and therefore a total that large) by giving up any player opt outs.

I think that's most likely the case, which just further emphasizes how bad this deal is for him (relatively), and why the Yanks could have easily stepped in!!  Sorry, still in the grieving process.

It’s just beyond annoying that Cashman used the “loaded” Yankees OF excuse to not even consider(in the public at least)getting a young lefty bopper like Harper. Because Gardner, Ellsbury and Frazier aren’t HUGE question marks. 

Also, the Bobby Bonilla contract still outlasts Harper’s.

Archived