Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PyroclasticFlow

MLB Offseason 2018: Harper, Your Herald Boras Sings

4 minutes ago, PyroclasticFlow said:

Ichiro starting was a nice gesture by Servais to the Japanese fans. 

Also, it appears they subbed him out while he was playing defense.  That way he got the huge ovation as he came off the field.

Ichiro is confirmed as retiring after this last Japan series game today. Ichiro coming to the US and that first season is one of the major memories I have of baseball, partly because it is coupled with the amazing 2001 season, but also he was just so cool and exotic. He remains the only sports figure I have ever had on my bedroom wall.

11 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Sawks extend Sale through 2024 for $150 mm

Sounds about right.  The real question is when are they gonna sign Kimbrel?  You can't go into October with that bullpen.

Cardinals look to be extending Goldschmidt for five years.  Pretty happy about that.  He's 31, but I expect several more good years.  Nice to hopefully have a serious bat for the foreseeable future.  Ozuna only signed this next season though but hoping that they're going to thrive next to each other in the lineup.  

3 hours ago, DMC said:

Sounds about right.  The real question is when are they gonna sign Kimbrel?  You can't go into October with that bullpen.

That bridge seems burned.  It appears that with Knebel headed for TJS, he'll be heading to Miwakeee

Yeah if you google Craig Kimbrel right now there's lots of Brewers rumors.

Random Cardinals thoughts going into opening day that y'all didn't ask for:

• very excited not only to have added Goldschmidt but to have signed him for a while.  Hoping for this year that he makes Ozuna better
  • Carpenter's year last year where he was one of the worst hitters in baseball for the first two months and then MVP-esque in the second half...what's up with that?  Hoping he's still money, and now Carpenter, Ozuna, and Goldschmidt could be a really nice core of the lineup for a team that's not scored enough last few years.
  • Is potential super prospect Reyes going to bounce back from his freakish lateral dislocation that occurred four scoreless innings into his return from Tommy John?  What a wild start to a career, but recall that this guy struck out nine straight batters on his way back from TJ in a AA game and then was four scoreless in his first major league game back
  • The several still anonymous young pitchers that came up last year and led that great 2nd half to the season...are they all big time legit future MLB starters or was that lightning in a bottle?  Flaherty is good for sure, need more sample size for the rest
  • On that note, surprised that Miles Mikolas is opening day starter and thought it would be Flaherty who has more ace potential.
  • Yadi still Yadi, hopefully

Finally, fuck the Cubs.  

Everyone shut up, the Dodger game is about to start!

Bird- an 0-2 homer against a lefty to avoid the Golden Sombrero. I’ll take it. 

Cain, wild catch to end the game. Baseball!

Man, that Cain catch was a gut-punch, but hey it's opening day. I feel like I'm 0-for-lifetime watching Opening Day Cardinals games from my apartment like this. Exciting game. Sunday we have another afternoon game up there to make those wretched shadows confusing again. Hader throwing from the shade into the sunny home plate was hilarious to watch. Our guys might as well have been swinging at BB gun shots.

Chapman's velocity - or more specifically lack thereof - has rather immediately gone to near the top of my pile of Yankee worries.

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

Chapman's velocity - or more specifically lack thereof - has rather immediately gone to near the top of my pile of Yankee worries.

Really? It’s March. Has it been a bigger “issue” than normal in spring training this year, or just general concern that it has been dipping a little since 2016? I wasn’t paying attention to it in the 9th today either.

4 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

Has it been a bigger “issue” than normal in spring training this year, or just general concern that it has been dipping a little since 2016? I wasn’t paying attention to it in the 9th today either.

Well, it has been dipping gradually for a few years, but what I'm worried about is indeed the former.  From Axisa:

As for Chapman, he looked sneaky crummy this spring, with a fastball that sat mostly 94-96 mph rather than 97-98 mph. I know it’s only Spring Training, believe me, but Chapman’s fastball averaged 99.1 mph last March. For a guy who’s already losing velocity, seeing mid-90s rather than upper-90s this spring was a little worrisome. Hopefully he will regain those last few miles-an-hour as the weather warms up and the ninth inning adrenaline flows.