UK Politics: Deal, or No Deal. To May and Beyond.

A Horse Named Stranger

2 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Say what you will, but Brexit is really life imitating art, namely Monty Python. The UK goverment and hteir hapless actions really look like a giant Monty Python sketch, about some goverment project htat has gone off the rails a long while ago, while the bureaucrats pretend  it's all going according to plan.

I mean I can literally see a younger John Cleese playing some sort of Grayling arguing how it makes perfect sense for the goverment to hire a ferry company, without ferries. Or blocking a motorway with 80 lorries.

You say Monty Python, I say The Thick of It. To the point where one of the reasons Armando Iannucci made Death of Stalin was he felt he couldn't parody modern politics anymore.

45 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

You say Monty Python, I say The Thick of It. To the point where one of the reasons Armando Iannucci made Death of Stalin was he felt he couldn't parody modern politics anymore.

Don't be hysterical, we're simply in a new reality.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/mps-police-angry-protesters-anna-soubry/

Those guys protesting Anna Soubry really demonstrate the level of debate going on. Pretty disgusting individuals. You can see the one guy holding his phone up filming the whole thing, I'm sure it is for some YouTube channel somewhere to go on a 'Anna Soubry Nazi get OWNED' video. 

This level of harassment now seems so commonplace sadly.

It's like the country learned nothing from Jo Cox's death, Pandora's Box is really open and the level of hate and lies and fear is truly worrying. I don't know how to turn this around but honesty would help a lot. Businesses need to speak up, charities and journalists need to call out the lies. Everyone seems to be stuck in a place of fear at the moment. That will only fester. 

Why are they calling her a Nazi, exactly?

Has she said or done anything to cause people to use that particular term, or is it just a term they’re falling back on because they’re incapable of articulating themselves and by diluting the term they are attempting to reduce the impact of its use against themselves?

I expect I know the answer, but just wanted to be sure.

4 minutes ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

Has she said or done anything to cause people to use that particular term, or is it just a term they’re falling back on because they’re incapable of articulating themselves and by diluting the term they are attempting to reduce the impact of its use against themselves?

Because she supports Remain

5 minutes ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

I think you are looking for sense, where there is none. They even mistake one guy for David Lammy which is maybe the clearest indication of where they are coming from.

It seems like these incidents are happening more and more often now, whether you dislike the victims or not, nobody should ever try and and justify this sort of stuff. I don't care if its Owen Jones or Nigel Farage, we shouldn't tolerate this behaviour.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/tom-swarbrick/anna-soubry-protester-explosive-row/

This guy (though he won't admit it) appears to be one of the crowd shouting abuse at her. I'd guess his reasoning is that if Nazi is going to be used liberally to describe anyone you don't like then he can do it too. 

Either way, the guy is using up good oxygen and wasting it. 

2 hours ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

Because she supports remain.

The internal logic of that argument goes something like that - I apologize in advance for the rabbit hole you have to go through. Simply put, the EU is a German instrument of power to rule over Europe. Thus, siding with the EU is siding with ze Germans, thus it makes Soubry a Nazi.

The EU being the means by which Germany rules Europe was a trope also used by BoZo in some shape or form during the referendum campaign. Of course Brexit being that far right project it is, makes that argument even more farcial than it already is.

But Brexit was never about logic arguments, but rather about some vague feeling of being ruled from the outside.

7 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Because she supports remain.

The internal logic of that argument goes something like that - I apologize in advance for the rabbit hole you have to go through. Simply put, the EU is a German instrument of power to rule over Europe. Thus, siding with the EU is siding with ze Germans, thus it makes Soubry a Nazi.

The EU being the means by which Germany rules Europe was a trope also used by BoZo in some shape or form during the referendum campaign. Of course Brexit being that far right project it is, makes that argument even more farcial than it already is.

But Brexit was never about logic arguments, but rather about some vague feeling of being ruled from the outside.

There is definitely some truth in that (mixed with less true things) 

Saw some rumblings on Twitter about the 1.1 million votes in the referendum, mostly from expats living overseas, which were declared invalid (a lot of them because there was insufficient time to apply for the postal ballot, have it show up and then return it in time), being possibly a new source for a legal challenge to Brexit. Seems unlikely, as this was identified as an issue two years ago and nothing seemed to come of it (although there was another flurry of discussion on it in October), but yet another nod that serious question marks remain over the legitimacy of the result even beyond the funding question marks.

Ha, that would have been a catch 22 to all the benidorm brits, who are inevitably pro brexit, but don't want to be kicked out of their lovely sunny hideaway. 

on a seperate note why the fuck should they have been allowed to vote (morally, not legally)?

So, London on track for another bumper year of death by stabbing, does any political party have the will to genuienly do something about it?  I got rather sick of cleaning up dead people, so much so that i decided not to anymore and work in a nice comfy office instead.

15 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Ha, that would have been a catch 22 to all the benidorm brits, who are inevitably pro brexit, but don't want to be kicked out of their lovely sunny hideaway. 

on a seperate note why the fuck should they have been allowed to vote (morally, not legally)?

Because the rules around Brexit impact them to, plus the secondary impacts if they have properties/investments in the UK, plus they're UK citizens?

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

So, London on track for another bumper year of death by stabbing, does any political party have the will to genuienly do something about it?  I got rather sick of cleaning up dead people, so much so that i decided not to anymore and work in a nice comfy office instead.

What would be your solution?

17 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

What would be your solution?

Draconian sentences for carrying knives, a massive, long term investment in education (aimed at primary schools and early secondary schools, most older secondary school kids are lost already, this is part of the problem polictal parties get no benefit from a strategy that will only show results 8-10 years down the line).  A huge investment in long term gangs targetting, both in diversion (this is not something i feel should fall to the police, but nobody else seems to be doing it) and enforcement (not just as currently where we kneejerk to wherever a problem has just emerged).  And stop and searching the shit out of everyone even remotely likely to be carrying, this upsets some people, so what, its not as upsettting as getting a knife through your heart or having to tell someone that their little boy is dead.     

Archived