The Last Kingdom III - HOLD ON TO YOUR SWORD (SPOILERS SEASONS 1-4)

Corvinus85

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Chad Vader said:

Wish they would release it earlier so people isolating can watch it. Good news though, I’ve been waiting for info on this and Wolf Hall season 2.

Don't worry, they'll still be isolating by then

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2020 at 5:41 PM, Mark Antony said:

Everyone get in here

Wonderful news! and I almost missed it :)

On 3/19/2020 at 6:20 PM, Which Tyler said:

Don't worry, they'll still be isolating by then

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Woo -- does that ever just plain look good!

They changed the look of some of the promo elements too.  Which look both a bit cheesy -- those flames -- and yet heartstopping exciting too.  Or maybe I've been shut up too long so anything looks exciting!

On 4/12/2020 at 11:25 AM, Mark Antony said:

leta fuckingggg goooooooooo

Great to see the excitement :D Looking forward to something suitably epic also being good. It's been too long since we had one of those.

3 minutes ago, GallowKnight said:

Is that long-haired kid supposed to be Sigtrygg? If so, he looks awful.

That or young Uhtred, the warrior son, not the priest son. They really need to start making the actors look older.

3 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

That or young Uhtred, the warrior son, not the priest son. They really need to start making the actors look older.

If the series Vikings has taught me anything, than it is that there used to be Keanu Reeves and Pharell Williams types of people everywhere in Scandinavia and England. 

3 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Why is this dropping on a Sunday instead of Friday? This displeases me. 

If it's midnight, i don't think most would have a problem with that.  Also, quarantine, where time has no meaning anymore.

13 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

If it's midnight, i don't think most would have a problem with that.  Also, quarantine, where time has no meaning anymore.

Still would make more sense to put it out on a Friday, and give people all weekend to watch it. Like most Netflix shows.

Some of us still have to go to work. ;)

On 12/12/2018 at 8:24 PM, Corvinus85 said:

I'd say it's time for a new thread, not to interrupt the riveting discussion about Skade's looks.

I would say one major critique I have about the show, this last great season included, is that from the start the show had the opportunity to go strong with historical accuracy, but ultimately still fell short. It is certainly more accurate than Vikings. I applaud them for the effort to have shield wall battles and resist, by Hollywood standards, the temptation to have main characters go full Conan on adversaries in battle. The use of old English names, as per the books, is also greatly appreciated. Or calling the folks with the longships Danes, instead of yelling out the word viking every time. And of course, the story is written with better sense, for the most part. (Not sure why the Danes spent an entire winter in a camp, waiting for Alfred to die)

But I wish they had made more of an effort when it comes to the accuracy of armor. Pretty much falling in the same pit as Vikings, people are constantly wearing leather jackets or vests, often 'studded', like that would do anything. Back in season 1, Alfred gifted Uhtred with a quality mail hauberk, that apparently Uhtred ignored. yeahhh... at least he should have given it to Finan. Poor guy clearly has not enough money, as he can only afford mailed sleeves sewn on a leather jerkin. 

Similar to Vikings, they decided to give the Mercians a different look from the West Saxons. Recall in Vikings, the Mercians had these yellow jerkins, studded I believe, as opposed to the Renaissance/Eastern mix that the West Saxons wore. Here we have the West Saxons in mail hauberks, with conical helms with nose guards, while the Mercians apparently are all very rich and wear scale hauberks, and something resembling spangenhelms. (props to the helms, though, they at least looked well fitted to the man) 

That being said, there are quite a lot of things to appreciate. As mentioned before, the shield walls, even in small scale situation, like the standoff at the abbey. Also, Uhtred, this latest season at least, has made use of his seax, Wasp-Sting, as much as his sword. I also spotted a good number of arm rings this season. (too bad the show didn't really address the importance of arm rings in Dane/Norse culture) Last season, a sleeveless Sihtric was the only one to have them, as best as I could tell.

End nitpick. I love this show.

I loved season 3, my favourite so far. It was the first time I didn't feel the show was too rushed and fast paced in adapting 2 books in a single season (I haven't read the books, but the number of plots and love interests and new friends that came and went was sometimes too much to feel the full emotional weight in seasons 1-2. In season 3, it greatly helped that the focus was on characters and relationships we had, at this point, been following for 3 seasons).

But I couldn't help being a linguistic nerd and was really bothered by the way everyone kept pronouncing "Skade". As if anyone would be pronouncing any names like that in the 9th century., even if half of the characters weren't Danes. Take your anachronistic Great Vowel Shift elsewhere, guys.

Archived