The Last Kingdom III - HOLD ON TO YOUR SWORD (SPOILERS SEASONS 1-4)

Corvinus85

13 hours ago, SeanF said:

As a matter of real life history, I've always found it remarkable that both Alfred and Athelstan allowed their rival claimants to live.  It's a kind of running joke in the books that Uhtred frequently urges Alfred to dispose of Athelwold.

I think he was consciously emulating the Carolingian project (where dynastic.. "truncation"? for as long as that lasted was a matter or serendipity), also there is the Wittan mechanism. Saxon kings often had direct experience with letting rival claimants live working out.

I only just noticed that S4 is available now. Just watched Ep1 - pretty good. Hopefully the story will pick some more momentum now.

The battle scene camerawork was almost nauseatingly jerky.  It’s bad enough that it’s a lazy crutch for poorly choreographed action, but it’s bloody difficult to watch. 

• 1 month later...

Woo.  Nor is there any problem that the actors could age out from their characters, no matter how long it will take to do this.  Can they still do their Hungary location sequences, I've been wondering for a while.

14 hours ago, Zorral said:

Woo.  Nor is there any problem that the actors could age out from their characters, no matter how long it will take to do this.  Can they still do their Hungary location sequences, I've been wondering for a while.

If you mean Covid restrictions, probably. Generally we only accept EU members (plus Switzerland) without a 14-day quarantine, but they’ll be able to apply for a special license for a 90-day stay (plus mandatory quarantine) and likely get it because their filming here’s good for the economy. Same is likely to go for The Witcher. 

I’m so glad they were renewed for season 5 :commie: 

8 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

If you mean Covid restrictions, probably. Generally we only accept EU members (plus Switzerland) without a 14-day quarantine, but they’ll be able to apply for a special license for a 90-day stay (plus mandatory quarantine) and likely get it because their filming here’s good for the economy. Same is likely to go for The Witcher. 

I’m so glad they were renewed for season 5 :commie: 

Thank you!  The location shots are spectacular and really make the series.

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Interview with Bernard Cornwell, on the publication of the last novel in the Saxon Stories.  Didn't know he is descended from Uhtred himself (of whoever the Lord of Bebbanburg was)!  Thought it was a completely fictional character.

IIRC It is a completely fictional character.

He's descended from someone called Uhtred who was lording it in that area a few hundred years later.

Yeah, Cornwell took the Uhtred of 100 years later and basically moved him back in time.

He didn't think it was too much of a stretch, as there was a lot of toing and froing between the Dane lands and the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms. Territories changed hands so many times you ended up with quite a mixed population, Danish mercenaries fighting for the Anglo-Saxon kings and vice versa.

• 6 months later...
Just now, GallowKnight said:

Makes sense.

Reveal hidden contents

They're presumably coming to the retaking of Bebbanburg in the fifth season, which is a pretty good place to quit storywise. Plus the final three books are fairly boring anyway

Agreed. I'm not overly disappointed at the news. Ending off with The Flame Bearer does provide a satisfactory conclusion to the series. Maybe a time skip epilogue if they want to add some details from the conclusion of War Lord. Uhtred's age (and Finan's) did become a problem in the books and the show has stretched the lack of ageing as much as they can already.

13 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Ending off with The Flame Bearer does provide a satisfactory conclusion to the series.

:agree:

Also people, including tech crew, signing up for other jobs, because of not knowing what the future would / will be.

Still, I would like one more season.  T

Spoiler

hough I can quite do w/o that yet-another-wife-to-Uhtred!  He's so careless with them.  And always a sucker for sorcerous types, whether he marries them or not.  Naturally the best wife was the one he wasn't able to marry -- Æthelflæd, which was, one may think, quite fortunate for her.

I'm also ok with it ending like this. The books were largely about the formation of England from the perspective of Uhtred, but the show was more about Uhtred's adventures. They could always do a movie as an epilogue with Aethelstan becoming king and annexing Northumbria.

It all depends on the execution I suppose. I would have liked to have seen Aethelstan taking Northumbria and forcing the Welsh, Scots and that other kingdom I keep forgetting about to submit to him. I guess however that @Corvinus85 has a point. The formation of England was always the focus of the books, but the show was more about Uthred being a badass. 

• 3 weeks later...

‘The Last Kingdom’: ‘Domina’ Actor Ewan Horrocks Joins Final Season Of Netflix’s Saxon Saga
https://deadline.com/2021/05/the-last-kingdom-ewan-horrocks-cast-netflix-1234760864/

EXCLUSIVE: Domina actor Ewan Horrocks has landed a recurring role in the final season of Netflix’s historical drama The Last Kingdom.

Horrocks will appear throughout the season as Aelfweard. He is currently filming in Budapest, Hungary, where Carnival Films is producing the fifth season of The Last Kingdom, which is based on Bernard Cornwell’s best-selling The Saxon Stories novels.

The newcomer is currently starring in Sky’s Ancient Rome series Domina as Drusus, in what represents his first major television role. Domina will premiere on Epix in the U.S. in the coming weeks.

Archived