Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

On 12/19/2018 at 3:32 PM, TheCasualObserver said:

The absence of bran in season 5 makes less and less sense in hindsight. A lot of people have said that him becoming an emotionally dead robot was jarring, especially since he was fine in season 6. If at least some of his season 6 plot was moved to 5 and we see his slide into inhumanity throughout season 6 it really could have helped sell the idea that his powers came at a cost.

Then again, Bloodraven never seemed particularly emotionally dead, despite having lots more power and knowledge than Bran, so it may never have made sense. 

I agree. On a personal level I'd hate it (so sad), but for the plot development it would make much more sense to have shown the gradual change, so take viewers along on the ride. The on/off switch of the Branbot was a real let down.

Bloodraven is almost gone to total mulch, and even he remembers his loves and warns Bran of the pain, and it's been nearly a century for him.

On 12/19/2018 at 9:32 PM, TheCasualObserver said:

The absence of bran in season 5 makes less and less sense in hindsight. A lot of people have said that him becoming an emotionally dead robot was jarring, especially since he was fine in season 6. If at least some of his season 6 plot was moved to 5 and we see his slide into inhumanity throughout season 6 it really could have helped sell the idea that his powers came at a cost.

Then again, Bloodraven never seemed particularly emotionally dead, despite having lots more power and knowledge than Bran, so it may never have made sense. 

Well, there is the possibility that they don't even know what they were going to do with Bran, or just decided they would switich his humanity off because of shock, to then make him return being normal.

After all, he kind of fucntions properly in the trials. It's so much on-and-off. With them one never knows

A reminder to those who seemed to have missed the point:

Discussion of why people disliked something is permitted, but remember the topic at hand: this is not a debate thread, it's a discussion thread specifically about episode details or events that posters disliked. Posts that ignore this will be considered off-topic. It is not a place to throw insults at one another or to act as if the normal rules of the forum do not apply. Likewise, per forum rules about flame wars, PLEASE IGNORE anyone trying to bring this thread down to a close.

13 hours ago, The Bear Who Knocks said:

I don't think I can muster up the energy, to care about what happens to any of the characters anymore in S8...

Yeah, the anger about the butchery has waned a bit. It is such a riotous laugh-fest at this point.

How much more insulting can they be?

Jon meets Dany, a woman with frickin' dragons, and they want him to think of her as "cute as a bug". That is the direction that adults are giving to other adults- real or not.

14 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Yeah, the anger about the butchery has waned a bit. It is such a riotous laugh-fest at this point.

How much more insulting can they be?

Jon meets Dany, a woman with frickin' dragons, and they want him to think of her as "cute as a bug". That is the direction that adults are giving to other adults- real or not.

"Cute as a bug" made me think of Starship Troopers. 

With a little self-irony the fx team could produce a short clip with that supersonic raven breaking the wall of sound.

On 1/8/2019 at 1:01 PM, alienarea said:

"Cute as a bug" made me think of Starship Troopers. 

With a little self-irony the fx team could produce a short clip with that supersonic raven breaking the wall of sound.

That'd be something to see, after all, they did rip us off when it came to all of Gendry's rowing.  I guess you could say they made it up to us with his orders from Jon:  RUN TO EASTWATCH!!  That shit is never not funny, LOLOLOL 

Cute as a bug, eh?  Hmmm, are there bugs in some of the wigs?  Dany's did look horrendous in that three second clip. 

• 1 month later...

Totally on board with mocking the scripts, however...I don't take these scripts as fact.

I think D&D are manipulative assholes who either write the scripts from the audience's perspective (FOR EXAMPLE: Cersei is written as being surprised at Euron storming off at the Dragon Pit), or they intentionally write misleading stuff in the scripts for spoiler protection, and instead rely on on-set direction that can't be leaked. I think a combo of these two is what happened in S7.

Many times scripts haven't matched up with what's on screen, IMO. And from what I've heard, this is normal for Hollywood. Scripts aren't meant to be read like novels.

All these jokey lines in there make it seem like the "official scripts" aren't that official anyway. Because yeah they seem like they are written by immature 15 year olds. I mean they are like that...but I also think they want to pull the wool over everyones eyes, as Dinklage said.

8 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

Many times scripts haven't matched up with what's on screen, IMO.

When it comes to this show, barely anything they write or say is actually on screen. So when people try to use scripts, interviews or inside the episode to prove their POV, I just have myself a laugh. It's pointless to use these as evidence for anything.

I remember people doing that with the S7 Sansa/Arya story to defend Arya. Especially once the scripts came out and it amounted to nothing more than those people contradicting themselves. 'Well the script proves Arya was right etc.' but then the script also made it clear that they hid the Sansa/Arya/Bran working together to bring down LF in the script themselves. They wanted the audience to think differently so the true story isn't even in the scripts. So the scripts proved nothing except that even in the script they hide their actual intend. Same with the Cersei reaction you mentioned.

I mean Battle of the Bastards won an Emmy for writing right? And then you look at the script and wonder if everyone voting is just really, really drunk when they do. Their scripts always read like they are written by a bunch of immature boys.

They want to surprise the audience. So people talk about the show afterward. They do it absurdly sometime all the time. People acting out of their way, just to mislead. And then have a more or less convincing explanation why. For Sansa and LF, I could imagine they wanted to frame him just because he framed them before. Or to have an example of his schemings for the Vale's lords to observe, and convince them of LF treacherous ways. If it happened, no one cared to explaining it to us. But they mislead us, cheated us, during a few episodes, with no way of detecting the plot. And the actors are not there to explain everything before the season. On the contrary.

Exactly, its a really childish and immature way of writing just to get to a twist. On the Arya/Sansa WF plot:

Benioff: "So much of that scene is about what happens beforehand and building up the tension between Sansa and Arya where you really believe where one will kill the other. It's one of the benefits of working on a show like this where over the years so many beloved characters have been killed and so many characters make decisions you wish they hadn't that you can believe that Sansa might conspire against Arya or that Arya might decide that Sansa has betrayed the family and deserves to die."

Uh no, I never believed that would happen because the premise was completely bonkers.

Weiss: "Knowing that you're aiming at that it really helps in the writing of it is because your only goal in those scenes is to build towards what feels like a real rift between them in a way that makes it extremely fraught when you get into that room with them at the end."

It's clear in S7 that a lot of trickery is going on, that they are writing to fool the audience into believing things. Character and logic be damned but that's how they do. They play games and "misinform the audience and send them in the wrong directions" - Alexander Siddig

16 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

Totally on board with mocking the scripts, however...I don't take these scripts as fact.

I think D&D are manipulative assholes who either write the scripts from the audience's perspective (FOR EXAMPLE: Cersei is written as being surprised at Euron storming off at the Dragon Pit), or they intentionally write misleading stuff in the scripts for spoiler protection, and instead rely on on-set direction that can't be leaked. I think a combo of these two is what happened in S7.

Many times scripts haven't matched up with what's on screen, IMO. And from what I've heard, this is normal for Hollywood. Scripts aren't meant to be read like novels.

All these jokey lines in there make it seem like the "official scripts" aren't that official anyway. Because yeah they seem like they are written by immature 15 year olds. I mean they are like that...but I also think they want to pull the wool over everyones eyes, as Dinklage said.

Scripts found

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/12/game-of-thrones-scripts-secrets-cersei-pregnancy-tyrion-daenerys-snow-on-the-throne

Of course, the lovely Emmy winning script, for example:  From the Emmy site.

http://m.emmys.com/sites/default/files/collateral/118 Game Of Thrones - The Dragon and the Wolf.pdf

2 minutes ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

:dunno:As I said the lines  the scripts are used manipulate. Script notes are more trustworthy. On set direction even more so. What's on screen matters more than any script.

Your post said:  however...I don't take these scripts as fact.

I provided a link, should others think the existence of the scripts are not fact.  I also added in the official emmy winning submitted script from Season 7.  I just wanted the thread to be clear on the fact that the scripts do exist, are actually saved in official places by official organizations, such as the Emmy Board, for example.  There are also some at a college collection for GRRM as well.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/game-of-thrones-unaired-pilot_us_5c0af138e4b0ab8cf6934dbe

https://today.tamu.edu/2017/07/14/game-of-thrones-and-texas-am-5-things-you-need-to-know/

http://m.emmys.com/sites/default/files/collateral/118 Game Of Thrones - The Dragon and the Wolf.pdf

The point of my post was just to clarify that the scripts do exist, no alternate facts, so to speak. 

20 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

I provided a link, should others think the existence of the scripts are not fact.

I know the scripts exist. I've read all of them. That's when I came to the conclusion that they lie in the scripts, like the Arya/Sansa and Cersei examples I gave above. D&D also mention how they wrote the scenes up to the Red Wedding to manipulate the audience into thinking Robb was really going to win. 

Archived