Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

9 hours ago, Mystical said:

I mean Battle of the Bastards won an Emmy for writing right? And then you look at the script and wonder if everyone voting is just really, really drunk when they do. Their scripts always read like they are written by a bunch of immature boys.

Did it? Wow... 

I was talking about this episode w/ a couple of friends last night, because it was the first time I watched the whole thing. Until then I had only seen bits of the moronic battle proper, but nothing else. And I was especially annoyed at how abysmally bad the writing was! :lol:

5 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Did it? Wow... 

I was talking about this episode w/ a couple of friends last night, because it was the first time I watched the whole thing. Until then I had only seen bits of the moronic battle proper, but nothing else. And I was especially annoyed at how abysmally bad the writing was! :lol:

Yep no joke. The episode won 7 Emmys alone.

• Outstanding Makeup for a Single-Camera Series (Non-Prosthetic)
  • Outstanding Special Visual Effects
  • Outstanding Sound Mixing for a Comedy or Drama Series
  • Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series
  • Outstanding Stunt Coordination for a Drama Series, Limited Series or Movie
  • Outstanding Single Camera Editing For a Drama Series
  • Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series

And when you actually read the script you will realize how worthless the Emmys are that this show gets.

29 minutes ago, Mystical said:

Yep no joke. The episode won 7 Emmys alone.

• Outstanding Makeup for a Single-Camera Series (Non-Prosthetic)
  • Outstanding Special Visual Effects
  • Outstanding Sound Mixing for a Comedy or Drama Series
  • Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series
  • Outstanding Stunt Coordination for a Drama Series, Limited Series or Movie
  • Outstanding Single Camera Editing For a Drama Series
  • Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series

And when you actually read the script you will realize how worthless the Emmys are that this show gets.

:cheers:

Have to say, after reading the list above I’m left scratching my head even harder... wow. It’s really all about PRing and Hyping, and stuff like that. 

I hate to impose, but I am a lazy  person... you don’t happen to have a list of who GoT ran against handy by any chance, do you? :blushing:

I think there are maybe a couple of deserved awards in that list, but it kind of depends on who was the competition. For instance, editing. Editing is sometimes the worst thing in an episode (Oberyn x Mountain :ack: ) but sometimes it’s the only/one of very few things that actually work. :dunno:

12 minutes ago, Mystical said:

https://www.emmys.com/awards/nominees-winners/2016?page=1

There are pages to scroll through, this being the first one with GoT in it.

Tks. Dunno if I’m gonna make it to the end but for starters, GoT nominated not once but twice for directing! Hilarious, the directing is almost as bad as the writing. 

ETA: and who won Best Drama? I mean, BCS, The Americans, Mr Robot, and even DA. I sure as hell hope GoT didn’t get it. 

It's interesting how handsy-offy the showrunners sound:wacko:. I mean, listen to your people, bosses...

• The final six episodes took 10 months to film, he said—and, as previously reported, the season will include one of the biggest battles ever committed to screen. The entire sequence, Harington said, took 55 nights to shoot—in mid-winter in Belfast.“You really realize that humans are not nocturnal creatures when you put a crew through 55 night shoots,” Harington said. “And David and Dan just kind of swung up once a week, and the poison in everyone’s eyes . . . It was serious. It was a lot to ask. But I think it will be definitely worth it.”

On filming S6:

"This was a unique point in the show's history. Benioff and Weiss were still a couple of seasons away from being finished, but were now beginning to seriously think about the end. They'd decided the fates of every major character. Sometimes they gave actors cryptic suggestions when filming certain scenes, with those final episodes in mind. The actor didn't know why they were doing something a certain way, only that it was somehow important. After Thrones is finished, fans will look back and see subtle hints that were dropped" (Hibberd's EW cover story)

This is what I mean about the scripts. They are quite irrelevant when they're giving the actors their own suggestions on set. And those suggestions definitely wouldn't be in the scripts because they would contain spoilers for future seasons.

5 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

On filming S6:

"This was a unique point in the show's history. Benioff and Weiss were still a couple of seasons away from being finished, but were now beginning to seriously think about the end. They'd decided the fates of every major character. Sometimes they gave actors cryptic suggestions when filming certain scenes, with those final episodes in mind. The actor didn't know why they were doing something a certain way, only that it was somehow important. After Thrones is finished, fans will look back and see subtle hints that were dropped" (Hibberd's EW cover story)

This is what I mean about the scripts. They are quite irrelevant when they're giving the actors their own suggestions on set. And those suggestions definitely wouldn't be in the scripts because they would contain spoilers for future seasons.

I do enjoy self-owning quotes like that. They are effectively saying that characters behave in a certain way for a big payoff later, except the actor doesn't know what the payoff will be until it comes, so how can it factor into the performance? Could it be any more clear that characterisation is secondary for these people?

I always knew that D&D got into the show to make the red wedding, which was the big shocking moment of the books, but it is painfully clear now that that shock is the primary appeal of the show to the majority of its audience and its writers. 

21 hours ago, Mystical said:

When it comes to this show, barely anything they write or say is actually on screen. So when people try to use scripts, interviews or inside the episode to prove their POV, I just have myself a laugh. It's pointless to use these as evidence for anything.

I remember people doing that with the S7 Sansa/Arya story to defend Arya. Especially once the scripts came out and it amounted to nothing more than those people contradicting themselves. 'Well the script proves Arya was right etc.' but then the script also made it clear that they hid the Sansa/Arya/Bran working together to bring down LF in the script themselves. They wanted the audience to think differently so the true story isn't even in the scripts. So the scripts proved nothing except that even in the script they hide their actual intend. Same with the Cersei reaction you mentioned.

I mean Battle of the Bastards won an Emmy for writing right? And then you look at the script and wonder if everyone voting is just really, really drunk when they do. Their scripts always read like they are written by a bunch of immature boys.

I still don't understand what happened in the Arya/Sansa plotline. Everyone was talking about how the starks and particularly sansa brought down LF, but that's not what the show gives us. Arya and Sansa legitimately looked taken in by LF's idiotic ruse, until bran used his magic knowledge to set them straight. I'm only piecing that together from what the show gave us (which was practically nothing) because Arya and Sansa argue over the bag of faces and that wasn't a trick because LF is nowhere to be seen. Even if he was, I don't understand why Arya would give him the knowledge that she's a magical assassin. How does that help trap him? If anything it would make him more eager to get away from winterfell, which defeats the point.  

16 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

I know the scripts exist. I've read all of them. That's when I came to the conclusion that they lie in the scripts, like the Arya/Sansa and Cersei examples I gave above. D&D also mention how they wrote the scenes up to the Red Wedding to manipulate the audience into thinking Robb was really going to win. 

I just find the written scripts to be more important than claims made about them before, during, or after the airing of the show.  They all talk shit, but what is written is hard to ignore.  That's all. 

Speaking of The Red Wedding............there seems to be an article in the new EW GOT issue, I think?, with more before, during and after the fact commenting, LOL

https://ew.com/tv/2019/03/08/game-of-thrones-red-wedding-oral-history/

The pictures of Roose and Cat in a different article mentioning this one.......had me a bit hopeful that perhaps we'd hear from Michael McElhatton as well.  Nope, no Roose POV in the interview.  He was a terrific Roose.  It's too bad the Ds seemed to fall in love with their Ramsay and his Twenty Good Men. 

I haven't found the EW GOT issue out about in the RW.  I'm not ordering it special, I would buy it if I stumble across it out in stores while shopping.  It was supposed to hit news stands on Friday, perhaps with a couple days in, I'll find one today?  Wish me luck...........I GUESS?  HA

16 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

It's interesting how handsy-offy the showrunners sound:wacko:. I mean, listen to your people, bosses...

• The final six episodes took 10 months to film, he said—and, as previously reported, the season will include one of the biggest battles ever committed to screen. The entire sequence, Harington said, took 55 nights to shoot—in mid-winter in Belfast.“You really realize that humans are not nocturnal creatures when you put a crew through 55 night shoots,” Harington said. “And David and Dan just kind of swung up once a week, and the poison in everyone’s eyes . . . It was serious. It was a lot to ask. But I think it will be definitely worth it.”

LOL  Really, this little snippet does speak to how much it seems D&D are not even really 'of' the cast and crew.  I think the coming years will see lots of BTS stuff exposed as interviews are given. 

2 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

LOL  Really, this little snippet does speak to how much it seems D&D are not even really 'of' the cast and crew.  I think the coming years will see lots of BTS stuff exposed as interviews are given. 

That's pretty standard if you are a good leader actually.  You don't hire experts (Directors) and then get in their way.  Best to stay out of the way and just check progress once or twice a month to make sure everything is on track and in budget.  Plus they'd have had a lot more to focus on that just one episode.

1 hour ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

It's been very bad for the performances on the show. There are loads of complaints from the actors about the lack any consistency in their characters because of this disengagement. They get told very different things about their characters depending on the specific director and there's no one making them get on the same page.

Just one example. Dillane went through 24 episodes basically being directed by Liam Cunningham. 

https://ew.com/tv/2017/12/05/game-of-thrones-stephen-dillane-regret/

8 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

It's been very bad for the performances on the show. There are loads of complaints from the actors about the lack any consistency in their characters because of this disengagement. They get told very different things about their characters depending on the specific director and there's no one making them get on the same page.

That's really interesting!  You got any links to where the actors are complaining?

1 minute ago, Ser Gareth said:

That's really interesting!  You got any links to where the actors are complaining?

There's about oh, ten years of stuff on these threads and on google.  I'm sure you could look it all up if you want. 

On 12/12/2018 at 5:22 PM, The Fattest Leech said:

Welcome to Rant and Rave without Repercussions, the scripts version. Waiting Wading through the seasons...

In the words of King o'the Board,

The topic of the thread is discussing things you dislike about the show, and this thread specifically focuses on the scripts and directors notes in relation to how it effected the show plot past, present, and future (Season 8) .

Discussion of why people disliked something is permitted, but remember the topic at hand: this is not a debate thread, it's a discussion thread specifically about episode details or events that posters disliked. Posts that ignore this will be considered off-topic. It is not a place to throw insults at one another or to act as if the normal rules of the forum do not apply. Likewise, per forum rules about flame wars, PLEASE IGNORE anyone trying to bring this thread down to a close.

Remember, open spoilers for all are being discussed here.

Links:

1. https://winteriscoming.net/2018/12/06/vanity-fair-finds-easter-eggs-scripts-game-thrones-season-7/
  2. https://winteriscoming.net/2018/12/08/hbo-changed-george-rr-martin-final-game-of-thrones-script/

Just bringing forward, as I'm sure reminders like this may be necessary with the season about to kick in.  What fun it will all be, I AM SURE!!  Granted, the fun will be for different reasons to different peeps, but this one thread is always a certain kind of fun. 

I wasn't sure if this was brought here, but it seems Nik is alluding to a certain act of his;  IE, chucking a child out of a window before he could um.........fly?  It would seem to fit in with Jaime's trailer proclamation, doesn't it?

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bumg8ygF3Nq/

What? Don't judge, LOL

6 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

There's about oh, ten years of stuff on these threads and on google.  I'm sure you could look it all up if you want. 

Tried already, but can't find anything from any kind of reputable source.  Do you have any to hand?

I'd been looking for this for a couple days, having seen posts on Twitter but not knowing for sure where they came from.  It seems Carice, Melisandre (is that the right spelling? LOL) has spoiled that it will NOT be Samwell Tarly sitting the Iron Throne in the end.  I'm shocked, I tell ya, SHOCKED!! 

https://winteriscoming.net/2019/03/10/carice-van-houten-looks-back-on-her-time-on-game-of-thrones/

Archived