Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

4 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

Yup.  That was the end scene for Bran and Co in season 4, as they weren't in season 5.  Remember the Three Eyed Raven, take 1?  Some old dude stuck in a nest?  HA  It was all pretty terrible.  Prior to that, the wights weren't all that fast moving.  

No... in fact, I have no recollection whatsoever. :eek:

I think I never rewatched s4, seeing as I hated it and couldn’t be bothered. 

And damn, didn’t even remember Bran & co weren’t in s5!

10 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

No... in fact, I have no recollection whatsoever. :eek:

I think I never rewatched s4, seeing as I hated it and couldn’t be bothered. 

And damn, didn’t even remember Bran & co weren’t in s5!

It's season 5 and 6, and the order, and all that happened FOR SURE, that is my issue when coming to memory.  The end of Season 4 is the spot where the pileup of issues was at the precipice for me, and it felt like it could go either way, back up in quality or.....not, LOL  Well, season 5 answered that with a hard and hearty FUCK NO at the chance of it getting better instead of worse, so I can relate to you having no recollection. 

It was only my discussing the prior scenes that reminded me of The Old Man in the Nest, aka, Three Eyed Raven, take 1.  Plus, I remember ranting and raving about all of that as well, at the time.  Still, in season 4 we had the shine of Oberyn and a few other things to distract us from the feeling of doom.  I had a feeling it would only get worse, and I do think that has contributed to most of season 4 not being the rewatch material that previous seasons were.  I'm not surprised that I'm not the only one that dropped off on the rewatching.  Season 5 only proved the fear well founded, alas. 

ETA:  You have to tell me if you saw my little 'what's in the box?'  :lmao:

4 hours ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

I was trying to remember when the wights became the silly Halloween skeletons that they are now.  If memory serves they seem to become speedier as they lose flesh?  Well, I'm kidding on that, kinda.  But, IIRC, it was when Bran and Co first reached the tree and the cave and the children..........all of the sudden we had those crazy dancing skeletons of super speed from Jason and The Argonauts.  And THEY kill Jojen?  It was almost.......disrespectful, LOL 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkMEB0_dxWk&list=RDhkMEB0_dxWk&start_radio=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF_Fi7x93PY

To me, immediately it was the Elder Scrolls skeletons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGGySLdZdN8

17 hours ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

It's season 5 and 6, and the order, and all that happened FOR SURE, that is my issue when coming to memory.  The end of Season 4 is the spot where the pileup of issues was at the precipice for me, and it felt like it could go either way, back up in quality or.....not, LOL  Well, season 5 answered that with a hard and hearty FUCK NO at the chance of it getting better instead of worse, so I can relate to you having no recollection. 

It was only my discussing the prior scenes that reminded me of The Old Man in the Nest, aka, Three Eyed Raven, take 1.  Plus, I remember ranting and raving about all of that as well, at the time.  Still, in season 4 we had the shine of Oberyn and a few other things to distract us from the feeling of doom.  I had a feeling it would only get worse, and I do think that has contributed to most of season 4 not being the rewatch material that previous seasons were.  I'm not surprised that I'm not the only one that dropped off on the rewatching.  Season 5 only proved the fear well founded, alas. 

ETA:  You have to tell me if you saw my little 'what's in the box?'  :lmao:

I'm in complete agreement about season 4. I had my doubts about at least some of the choices made in earlier seasons (the sexposition, Talisa, Robb's war ect) but season 4 was where the wheels started coming off.

I knew there was something wrong with Jon's trip to crasters keep, Jaime seemed off because Sansa was still in KL, and the watchers on the wall was kind of boring for a massive action scene, but the absence of any mention of Tysha in the season finale was the watershed moment. I disagreed with that "adaptional decision" strongly and thought it weakened the character of Tyrion in a really bad way. 

And after that came season 5. And that's when the anger set in. 

4 hours ago, TheCasualObserver said:

I'm in complete agreement about season 4. I had my doubts about at least some of the choices made in earlier seasons (the sexposition, Talisa, Robb's war ect) but season 4 was where the wheels started coming off.

I knew there was something wrong with Jon's trip to crasters keep, Jaime seemed off because Sansa was still in KL, and the watchers on the wall was kind of boring for a massive action scene, but the absence of any mention of Tysha in the season finale was the watershed moment. I disagreed with that "adaptional decision" strongly and thought it weakened the character of Tyrion in a really bad way. 

And after that came season 5. And that's when the anger set in. 

Oh yes, the Craster's Keep Rapefest of Boredom.  You know it's bad if characters/actors themselves look bored with all the rape and violence and have the motto;  Rape 'em til their dead, or whatever it was.  Even Karl Fookin' Tanner (who I have multiple problems with) could only get excited about rape again once he was provided with a new curly haired potential victim.  Ughhhhhh  Things like that had my anger already stoked (even though I enjoyed other things), so I think I quickly moved onto, through, and past anger to eventual acceptance as season 5 aired. 

I do think you're right about the handling of Tyrion's story at the end of season 4 being a watershed moment.  Not only did they not include Tysha for much of the meaning in what Tyrion does, they even added Shae grabbing for a knife first, trying to make her killing a bit of self defense.  And then, he has the nerve to whine about loving her to Tywin, and not being able to go back in the room with her dead body, right?   I think it made the killing of Tywin come off as quite.........small, for lack of a better word.  It also stymied Tyrion's character from then on.  No, Tyrion wasn't much fun in ADWD, but he did seem to finally be turning a corner by the end of that book, a necessary corner.  The Ds and their version of the Lannister family still puzzles me sometimes, to this day.  The took the possibilities of real acting from Peter Dinklage, though.  Then again, that can be said for many. 

16 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

Oh yes, the Craster's Keep Rapefest of Boredom.  You know it's bad if characters/actors themselves look bored with all the rape and violence and have the motto;  Rape 'em til their dead, or whatever it was.  Even Karl Fookin' Tanner (who I have multiple problems with) could only get excited about rape again once he was provided with a new curly haired potential victim. 

Yeah, the Rapefest at Craster’s was pretty bad. And not just for obvious reasons, but also plot wise. 

Ughhhhhh  Things like that had my anger already stoked (even though I enjoyed other things), so I think I quickly moved onto, through, and past anger to eventual acceptance as season 5 aired. 

I don’t remember anything I liked in s4, but tbh I don’t remember much of it. That’s when we had the Battle at the Wall, right? I really didn’t like that... Also Jaime and Cersei, maybe? :ack:

I do think you're right about the handling of Tyrion's story at the end of season 4 being a watershed moment.  Not only did they not include Tysha for much of the meaning in what Tyrion does, they even added Shae grabbing for a knife first, trying to make her killing a bit of self defense. 

Of course. :rolleyes:

And then, he has the nerve to whine about loving her to Tywin, and not being able to go back in the room with her dead body, right?   I think it made the killing of Tywin come off as quite.........small, for lack of a better word.  It also stymied Tyrion's character from then on.  No, Tyrion wasn't much fun in ADWD, but he did seem to finally be turning a corner.  The Ds and their version of the Lannister family still puzzles me sometimes, to this day. 

Agree. And the bold, well, in one of the s 6 or 7 eps I watched the last few days they had Cersei say something along the lines of, “you always were the stupidest Lannister” to Jaime. Like the writers hadn’t made that painfully clear to viewers all along. Yikes.

The took the possibilities of real acting from Peter Dinklage, though.  Then again, that can be said for many. 

So much this. I would really like to have seen Dinklage’s talent shine through w/ real Tyrion... And I feel sorry for all the lost opportunities over the years w/ Stephen Dillane, Alexander Siddig, Jonathan Pryce, Max von Sydow, Ciarán Hinds, Anton Lesser, and so many others. :bang:

12 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

@TheCasualObserver and @Lady Fevre Dream, completely agree with you both.  But the moment for me in S4 was the Brienne and Hound fight.  Things had been building for awhile, of course, but that was the moment for me when any positive feelings I had just...shattered:rolleyes: 

Why, oh why are you doing this to me? I had completely deleted the Bri/Hound fight from my brain, and now you brought it back! :bawl:

7 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Why, oh why are you doing this to me? I had completely deleted the Bri/Hound fight from my brain, and now you brought it back! :bawl:

Well... misery loves company, right?! :P  No, actually, I really am sorry to have reminded you of the incredibly contrived stupidity that was the Brienne vs. Hound fight:(

2 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

Well... misery loves company, right?! :P 

:lol:

2 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

No, actually, I really am sorry to have reminded you of the incredibly contrived stupidity that was the Brienne vs. Hound fight:(

It really was, wasn’t it? And iirc, Arya was just there, a few feet away and nothing came of it. It was really just to showcase two “badass”  characters having a go at it.  :ack:

I thought season 4 was the last much more good than bad season.  There were a lot of high points and great scenes, but it's also when the plotting really started to go off the rails in a big way, I think this was the year that "Asha" and the IB fought Ramsay shirtless, but maybe that was 5?  also the year that Arya and the Hound announced who they were at the Eyrie and no one cared or questioned them and the fan service Brienne and the Hound fight, which ended up making everyone involved look bad, and as others have just said, the resolution of the Shae story was pretty poor from a characterization perspective.  The show was always more flawed from a plotting perspective than most people admitted, but it really went off kilter in a big way from season 5 onward.  

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

It really was, wasn’t it? And iirc, Arya was just there, a few feet away and nothing came of it. It was really just to showcase two “badass”  characters having a go at it.  :ack:

*cough* Arya/Brienne *cough*

Season 4 started out badly immediately when you think about both Jamie and Brienne being in KL while Sansa is STILL THERE and NEITHER do a damn thing about it.

7 minutes ago, Mystical said:

*cough* Arya/Brienne *cough*

Season 4 started out badly immediately when you think about both Jamie and Brienne being in KL while Sansa is STILL THERE and NEITHER do a damn thing about it.

Yup, that made no sense whatsoever. 

4 hours ago, Prince of the North said:

@TheCasualObserver and @Lady Fevre Dream, completely agree with you both.  But the moment for me in S4 was the Brienne and Hound fight.  Things had been building for awhile, of course, but that was the moment for me when any positive feelings I had just...shattered:rolleyes: 

3 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

3 hours ago, Prince of the North said:

Well... misery loves company, right?! :P  No, actually, I really am sorry to have reminded you of the incredibly contrived stupidity that was the Brienne vs. Hound fight:(

3 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

:lol:

Yup, I do my best to not think about the travesty of the Brienne/Hound fight.  It seems the same with the show, they just shrugged it off and shared info and adoration of Arya.  Well, gee, I'm glad that was so important, right?  LOL  And Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh  There was so much wrong with season 4, but it was still somewhat camouflaged by acting and story.  But, it's been all downhill ever since. 

4 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Yeah, the Rapefest at Craster’s was pretty bad. And not just for obvious reasons, but also plot wise. 

I don’t remember anything I liked in s4, but tbh I don’t remember much of it. That’s when we had the Battle at the Wall, right? I really didn’t like that... Also Jaime and Cersei, maybe? :ack:

Of course. :rolleyes:

Agree. And the bold, well, in one of the s 6 or 7 eps I watched the last few days they had Cersei say something along the lines of, “you always were the stupidest Lannister” to Jaime. Like the writers hadn’t made that painfully clear to viewers all along. Yikes.

So much this. I would really like to have seen Dinklage’s talent shine through w/ real Tyrion... And I feel sorry for all the lost opportunities over the years w/ Stephen Dillane, Alexander Siddig, Jonathan Pryce, Max von Sydow, Ciarán Hinds, Anton Lesser, and so many others. :bang:

It seemed like that battle at the Wall was delayed, on pause, on pause, delayed, Tormund and Ygritte and The Thenns slow walked to The Wall, Stannis disappeared after his depression and then........by the time we get to the battle, it feels entirely too delayed and I am ready for Ygritte to die, LOL  Well, not happy enough to let Ollie get away with it, but that's an issue for another season.  :P  Remember the Giant Scythe?  HAHAHAHA  And yes, season 4 was also the mess of Jaime and Cersei with all the wrong timing, as well as confusion of whether or not they are taping a rape scene. 

Honestly, I think it's Siddig I feel the worst for, poor guy.  Of course, it's the Bad Pussy they kept around longer, maybe they wanted more scenes set to Benny Hill music.  It is an improvement. 

Archived