Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

48 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Ha.  Like many things with the show, they started out good, I liked the 'take' on the middle ages costumes in the first couple of years, always liked the Lannister soldier armor....always thought the men's costumes were too similar, not enough color or difference, which was a 'miss' in a show with SO many characters, a few better signifiers and a little color would have been helpful for viewers to remember whose who.

The women's costumes, at present, I think are ugly. Unflattering, weird, not quite anachronistic, but still not feeling very authentic.  The strange dress we see Sansa wearing with the choke chain is very strange in any timeframe outside of "Hellraiser".

The costumes seem to cover every period and society, from Ancient Greece (the clothes of the Smallfolk in Kings Landing) to Victorian England (Ser Roderick Cassel and Catelyn in The Vale in Season 1).

56 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Ha.  Like many things with the show, they started out good, I liked the 'take' on the middle ages costumes in the first couple of years, always liked the Lannister soldier armor....always thought the men's costumes were too similar, not enough color or difference, which was a 'miss' in a show with SO many characters, a few better signifiers and a little color would have been helpful for viewers to remember whose who.

The women's costumes, at present, I think are ugly. Unflattering, weird, not quite anachronistic, but still not feeling very authentic.  The strange dress we see Sansa wearing with the choke chain is very strange in any timeframe outside of "Hellraiser".

I liked some of the earlier stuff, but definitely not all. For instance, I have always disliked the wildlings costumes. Very ugly, and looks like a video game camo type thing. Also they’re all exactly the same, like a uniform, and that’s totally ridiculous imo. It really annoyed me when I rewatched the Hardhome ep. 

Very much agree re colours - or lack thereof! - and the men’s costumes. Also on the fact that the women’s costumes, especially in later series, are very unflattering, very weird, and look horribly uncomfortable. The men’s look super uncomfortable as well. 

Sansa, Dany and Cersei take the cake for weird and ugly, and I will never be able to forget Sansa’s “murder” dress (pun intended) dress from s4. :ack:

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

The costumes seem to cover every period and society, from Ancient Greece (the clothes of the Smallfolk in Kings Landing) to Victorian England (Ser Roderick Cassel and Catelyn in The Vale in Season 1).

And Cenobite - Cersei season 6.

4 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

This is what I’ve been expecting Cersei to look like for a while now. :uhoh:

Clapton should just go for it. She already has the black and creepy ring of death on Sandra's outfits. Might as well go full crazy and have Cersei's face full of pins for the final season.

At this point GoT is basically just a cover of an Iron Maiden album.

5 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

They really are... The costumes look so modern and out of place, the color palettes and patterns are boring, the symbolisms are obvious and not subtle, I can barely see the difference between S7 and S8. 

Costumes are dreadful, I agree with all the comments.

Just had a thought, the characters are so flat and one-dimensional, it would help if we saw them just doing normal day to day things. Like having a cup of hot chocolate before bed or something. Something to make them seem human.

But then again... scary to think what Clapton would put them in for lounging around, so never mind. Sandra never takes her choke chain off, so no doubt she'd wear that to bed, along with her black pajamas and black robe and black slippers.

17 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

But then again... scary to think what Clapton would put them in for lounging around, so never mind. Sandra never takes her choke chain off, so no doubt she'd wear that to bed, along with her black pajamas and black robe and black slippers.

And they would put Ghost in bed next to her. The reason we would get would be along the lines of 'she is all in black, he's all in white....symbolism, yay. we have no idea what it symbolizes (after a 20 min interview full of word salad) but the b&w contrast always symbolizes stuff, right?'.

On 4/1/2019 at 12:34 AM, kissdbyfire said:

Well, s7 is now on its infernal loop and I caught a couple of eps last night. Too much to moan about now, but this one I need to get out of my chest. 

Sam cures Jorah’s greyscale? And not only he cures it, but he does it by basically flaying the disease outta Jorah? WTF? Why give Jorah greyscale in the first place? Is this the Ds idea of drama? And was it necessary for the blasted thing to cover so much of Jorah’s body? I mean, if they’re gonna have Sam flay it off anyway, why not keep it down a notch? Maybe it would have looked a tad less ridiculous. :rolleyes:

This has always been hilarious to me because it makes zero medical sense. And not only that, but we also have seen things that indicate greyscale has some role to play in the coming books: ADWD set up the stone men, Connington bringing it to Westeros, and Val's frightened warnings that Shireen is dangerous, that greyscale does not go away it merely "sleeps".  Seems like another big thing (along with, say, Aegon and Stoneheart) that they cut out. 

23 minutes ago, Ser Drewy said:

This has always been hilarious to me because it makes zero medical sense. And not only that, but we also have seen things that indicate greyscale has some role to play in the coming books: ADWD set up the stone men, Connington bringing it to Westeros, and Val's frightened warnings that Shireen is dangerous, that greyscale does not go away it merely "sleeps".  Seems like another big thing (along with, say, Aegon and Stoneheart) that they cut out. 

Ordinary everyday things don’t make sense... characters decisions in certain contexts (yes, Sansa Poole, I’m looking at you), travel speed/time makes zero sense, the “plot” (using the word as loosely as possible) doesn’t make sense... were you really expecting for their “medical” stuff to make sense? :lol:

Are we now supposed to forget that Jon died and was resurrected? I'm still waiting for a point and as more time passes, it feels more and more like it's only going to be a cheap plot device to get out the NW. It's willfully ignoring the intent of the NW oath using ambulance-chaser, sleezeball lawyer logic. And if Jon legit got out the NW for that, anyone can get out of the NW by converting to the Drowned God and getting baptized. It's such a face-whack to GRRM's only death can pay for life and the idea that there's a cost to something that big. 

Jon's death and resurrection episodes haven't made the rewatch list. Telling I guess. 

8 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

Are we now supposed to forget that Jon died and was resurrected? I'm still waiting for a point and as more time passes, it feels more and more like it's only going to be a cheap plot device to get out the NW. It's willfully ignoring the intent of the NW oath using ambulance-chaser, sleezeball lawyer logic. And if Jon legit got out the NW for that, anyone can get out of the NW by converting to the Drowned God and getting baptized. It's such a face-whack to GRRM's only death can pay for life and the idea that there's a cost to something that big. 

Jon's death and resurrection episodes haven't made the rewatch list. Telling I guess. 

Not as telling as the fact that only one episode of season 5 made the list. 

19 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

This doesn't rise to the level of a rant, but it's getting pretty close:)

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2019/04/game-of-thrones-season-8-preview-hbo-last-season/586834/

I do agree w/the writer that wight hunt is probably the stupidest plot the show conceived, though the Sansa marriage to Ramsay is almost as bad.

And a hearty "Preach it!" to that.  Good read!:thumbsup:

24 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

And a hearty "Preach it!" to that.  Good read!:thumbsup:

Ha.  Yes I felt the same way, it's about time the world catches up to the rant and ravers, LOL.  I also noticed he mentioned a few times his belief that you know who will never finish his series and I agree there too.  

On 4/8/2019 at 8:52 PM, Le Cygne said:

Sandra never takes her choke chain off, so no doubt she'd wear that to bed, along with her black pajamas and black robe and black slippers.

Can't wait to see Sandra in her lorica segmentata get up. Guess we'll be seeing her hurling rude insults at the White Walkers from the front ranks of Legio X Smirkus.

15 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

This doesn't rise to the level of a rant, but it's getting pretty close:)

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2019/04/game-of-thrones-season-8-preview-hbo-last-season/586834/

I do agree w/the writer that wight hunt is probably the stupidest plot the show conceived, though the Sansa marriage to Ramsay is almost as bad.

Great article.

And I agree. Over the countless dumb plots this show has done or abandoned, it has to be the wight hunt as the worst. It's kind of sad that grown adults came up with something so awful. Not just the plotline itself, but everything that encompassed it.

Still very convenient how Jon came across a White Walker patrol and killed the walker leaving only 1 remaining wight. How that made it to the air is beyond me.

It's like a cross between a plot 10-year-old me would have come up with after playing with Monsters in my Pocket/the cheesiest outcomes on Finding Bigfoot.

Archived