Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

I've mentioned it before, but it is utterly impossible for Cersei to be queen in season 7, if anything we know about this world is true.

It reminds me of Varys' riddle about the three men and the swordsman: is he motivated by religon, authority or wealth? At the start of season 7, how does cersei fulfilling any of those motivations? She blew up the sept so she's an affront to anyone religous, she murdered the queen and (it is assumed) murdered her own son so she has no legal authority, and the mines of casterly rock are empty so she has no money.

How, HOW can she possibly hold any power at all? Her own Lannister guards would cut her throat whilst she slept. 

1 hour ago, TheCasualObserver said:

I've mentioned it before, but it is utterly impossible for Cersei to be queen in season 7, if anything we know about this world is true.

It reminds me of Varys' riddle about the three men and the swordsman: is he motivated by religon, authority or wealth? At the start of season 7, how does cersei fulfilling any of those motivations? She blew up the sept so she's an affront to anyone religous, she murdered the queen and (it is assumed) murdered her own son so she has no legal authority, and the mines of casterly rock are empty so she has no money.

How, HOW can she possibly hold any power at all? Her own Lannister guards would cut her throat whilst she slept. 

I assume Benioff + Weiss are presenting the Lannister domains as being like the Sith Empire from SWTOR where literally nobody cares if their leaders are being the worst piece of shit in the world. They are just evil worshippers who love usurpers. It would be funny to get the perspective of anybody supporting Cersei bar Qyburn, Jaime, and unGregor. 

I find heartbreaking than in season 6 we have a lot of sibling relations like the tyrels, lannisters (not including tyrion), greyjoys,sandsnakes and the starks were the only siblings where 1 of them was keeping secrets and almost conspiring against the other. This is just sad...

36 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

I miss many of the Rant'n'Ravers of yesteryear; hopefully they will join us one more time. While I'll be very glad once GOT is over, those threads were fun!

I think the big gaps have made a lot of book fans forget about the show, tbh. I forgot it was on before the weekend. I hope the R&R salt is back on (never really been active during show time, but stalked the threads for a good while) 

8 minutes ago, divica said:

One day I would really like to know why sansa kept the knights of the vale a secret from jon. What was the point?

Faux-tension. That’s part of the problem, actually. Everything is faux. 

1 minute ago, kissdbyfire said:

If the objective was tension why not make it known to everybody that the knights of the vale were coming.

So the boltons want to kill jon before before they arrive and jon is trying to survive until they arrive. And nobody knows if they will get there on time…

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

I completely forgot about that stupid Vale Army plot. Other than Sandra playing "I got a secret" games, I want to know how Ramsay didn't notice about 10,000 guys hangin' out in the North.

Faux-tension leads to a whole lotta of stupidity.

1 hour ago, divica said:

If the objective was tension why not make it known to everybody that the knights of the vale were coming.

So the boltons want to kill jon before before they arrive and jon is trying to survive until they arrive. And nobody knows if they will get there on time…

Well apparently even Ramsay didn't know. He can destroy entire field armies with 20 men or whatever, but evidently couldn't locate a few sentries or spies.

And let's not even get into the practical realities of trying to unite two separate forces on the battle field at once. The whole thing was absurd.

I think we might have all got dumber by watching it, because it was so mind numbingly dumb.

6 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Well apparently even Ramsay didn't know. He can destroy entire field armies with 20 men or whatever, but evidently couldn't locate a few sentries or spies.

And let's not even get into the practical realities of trying to unite two separate forces on the battle field at once. The whole thing was absurd.

I think we might have all got dumber by watching it, because it was so mind numbingly dumb.

It's on right now, or was, as I cannot stomach too much of their Ramsey.  Well, it's on HBO right now, in all it's stupidity, it's just not on my television.  I didn't feel like watching the horror of Rickon dying without even letter the actor mutter a word. 

9 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

I completely forgot about that stupid Vale Army plot. Other than Sandra playing "I got a secret" games, I want to know how Ramsay didn't notice about 10,000 guys hangin' out in the North.

Faux-tension leads to a whole lotta of stupidity.

And, it would not have taken much imagination to create a credible plot in which Jon Snow knows that the Vale army is coming, but is still forced to fight when heavily outnumbered, and the tension comes from wondering if the Vale knights will get there in time.

5 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

It's on right now, or was, as I cannot stomach too much of their Ramsey.  Well, it's on HBO right now, in all it's stupidity, it's just not on my television.  I didn't feel like watching the horror of Rickon dying without even letter the actor mutter a word. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they spend the entire season or that episode beating into our heads how our crafty and cunning Ramsay is?

And then 10,000 dudes slip into his territory and he doesn't even notice. 

Any affection I have for any character on this show is only because of two reasons:  the affection I have for them from their books characters and the glimpses many of the terrific actors of have given us of them.  The story the Ds are telling, though..........hasn't been recognizable for a while.  The show is just glimpses and remembrances of what was and could have been.  Plus, a WHOLE LOTTA frustration. 

1 minute ago, OldGimletEye said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they spend the entire season or that episode beating into our heads our crafty and cunning Ramsay is?

And then 10,000 dudes slip into his territory and he doesn't even notice. 

Yup, with the great battle commander Batfinger helping pull it off.  Stunning, huh? 

Just now, SeanF said:

And, it would not have taken much imagination to create a credible plot in which Jon Snow knows that the Vale army is coming, but is still forced to fight when heavily outnumbered, and the tension comes from wondering if the Vale knights will get there in time.

Yep. They could have certainly handled it that way, and still had their drama to boot, while creating a plausible scenario.

The only reason I can think they didn't is because of laziness basically.

2 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

Any affection I have for any character on this show is only because of two reasons:  the affection I have for them from their books characters and the glimpses many of the terrific actors of have given us of them.  The story the Ds are telling, though..........has been recognizable for a while.  The show is just glimpses and remembrances of what was and could have been.  Plus, a WHOLE LOTTA frustration. 

There are some excellent scenes, and some excellent acting, but it is let down by lazy plotting.

1 minute ago, SeanF said:

There are some excellent scenes, and some excellent acting, but it is let down by lazy plotting.

I agree.  There are some amazing stand alone scenes.  But their plotting is short term, at best.  What works for an episode or a few, or a season at best.  The North Remembers?  Not this season. 

Archived