Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

11 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I do wonder if there is a book reason why the Northern lords in the show are all disloyal backstabbers.  Glovers betrayed the Starks, then bent the knee again and promised to fight, and now a couple of episodes later, they tell their liege lord to fuck off a second?third? time.  Or, maybe it's to remind us, that when Jon finally dies, it didn't matter, because he sucked as a leader? Or? is it totally random?

Northerns are the worst people in westeros. They are always betraying someone! 

I think Jon was the only king questioned at everything he did with vassals wanting to unname him king within 3 or 4 eps... Seriously, poor dude having to hear Sansa always saying he is wrong without giving a better alternative

57 minutes ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

"You've completely ruined horses for me."

Is that a Stark horse-face reference? Crap writing leaves me not know whether something is a bad joke or foreshadowing. 

59 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

That is the exact thought I had about Arya speaking of Sansa, and actually when Cersei tells Euron how clever and craaazy he is, it felt like the script was trying to tell the viewer what we should be thinking in that scene. The Behind the Episodes are now part of the scripts.

It's consistent with both Jon and Dany needing to be told that they were falling for each other last season like they were both 12 because the writing and acting weren't trusted. 

54 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I do wonder if there is a book reason why the Northern lords in the show are all disloyal backstabbers.  Glovers betrayed the Starks, then bent the knee again and promised to fight, and now a couple of episodes later, they tell their liege lord to fuck off a second?third? time.  Or, maybe it's to remind us, that when Jon finally dies, it didn't matter, because he sucked as a leader? Or? is it totally random?

The North is wildling-lite in that they follow strength because winters are so bad. Don't want a weak king in those winters. Robb had to prove himself when he called banners and even then he wasn't declared KitN until after he'd beat down Tywin repeatedly. Catelyn throws shade at Renly's pageantry because she's been in the North long enough to know it falls short in hard times. The Dance with the Dragons story had southerners tossing weak rightful heirs for strong lesser heirs when times got bad. Then there's Old Nan's horror stories. 

The World of Ice and Fire - The North: The Kings of Winter 

Song and story tell us that the Starks of Winterfell have ruled large portions of the lands beyond the Neck for eight thousand years, styling themselves the Kings of Winter (the more ancient usage) and (in more recent centuries) the Kings in the North. Their rule was not an uncontested one. Many were the wars in which the Starks expanded their rule or were forced to win back lands that rebels had carved away. The Kings of Winter were hard men in hard times. 

ADWD Davos IV

"Then a long cruel winter fell," said Ser Bartimus. "The White Knife froze hard, and even the firth was icing up. The winds came howling from the north and drove them slavers inside to huddle round their fires, and whilst they warmed themselves the new king come down on them. Brandon Stark this was, Edrick Snowbeard's great-grandson, him that men called Ice Eyes. He took the Wolf's Den back, stripped the slavers naked, and gave them to the slaves he'd found chained up in the dungeons. It's said they hung their entrails in the branches of the heart tree, as an offering to the gods. The old gods, not these new ones from the south. Your Seven don't know winter, and winter don't know them." 

But D&D forgot Sam was a POV character, so I'm doubtful this has anything to do with the show. This also doesn't come across on the show at all because the supposed big scary winter is a joke. 

Oh - and Torrhen Stark was the King who Kneeled or something. Kind of a wildling sounding thing. 

Why did Dany allow Yara to keep the title Queen of the Iron Islands while she was being a bloodthirsty conqueror in Season 6

But now she apparently only cares about humanity, she’s crying about the Lady of Winterfell giving mild criticisms of her ruler?

6 hours ago, OldGimletEye said:

Yeah, I was completely frustrated by that whole scene with Euron and Cersei. What a waste of time.

I liked it. It showed Cersei's self-loathing that she had to be a women to keep Euron onside.

Overall I liked the episode, the characters are all more or less in place so the writing is stronger, the reunions were all great moments, Bran waiting for Jamie was brilliant, the tension among Dany and the North is building nicely and the revelation that Jon is he true king will only add nicely to that.

6 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

It's late so one last question.

When did Valyrian steel become "too heavy"?

I feel like they're trying to reference Arya telling Syrio the wooden sword is too heavy for some reason, forgetting that Valyrian steel is lighter than regular steel, or Syrio's advice: "It's as strong as it needs to be to make you strong." But I'm just guessing. 

11 minutes ago, joaozinm said:

What about daario? Killed offscreen? Back to a Dumbo rivalry agaisnt Jon? Back to dany's love story cause Jon stepped aside?

I'm still hoping he'll ride in like the US cavalry to put the Second Sons to route in Kings Landing when Dany turns south.

Just now, House Cambodia said:

I'm still hoping he'll ride in like the US cavalry to put the Second Sons to route in Kings Landing when Dany turns south.

I don t think daario has any other use than create a teen soap opera. 

It is better to use that time to develop dorne, riverlands, the reach or the stormlands.

1 minute ago, divica said:

It is better to use that time to develop dorne, riverlands, the reach or the stormlands.

Going by the new opening credits, they've all dropped off the map. Just WF and KL left now.

6 minutes ago, divica said:

He might be used as Deus ex Machina for Dany plus a love sacrifice like benjen

4 hours ago, eldanielfire said:

I liked it. It showed Cersei's self-loathing that she had to be a women to keep Euron onside.

Overall I liked the episode, the characters are all more or less in place so the writing is stronger, the reunions were all great moments, Bran waiting for Jamie was brilliant, the tension among Dany and the North is building nicely and the revelation that Jon is he true king will only add nicely to that.

I actually thought BranBot sitting in one spot through the whole episode and staring at everyone/freaking them all out was stupid. But yeah him and Jaime having the eye contact was epic.  At least Jaime didnt waste any time and got to WintferFell via teleportation.

2 minutes ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

At least Jaime didnt waste any time and got to WintferFell via teleportation.

Didn't Tormund spell out that one whole day had passed between the Wall being breached and the undead army sacking Last Hearth? One day! Jamie's horse is faster than a dragon!

Dany and Jon are not believable. There's no passion. He is already wavering in his love for her, which means it didn't mean that much to begin with. Which is lame because their shipping was the main driving point of the series, they should at least deliver a little better and be crazy head-over-heels in love so that we all feel it!!

Archived