Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

1 minute ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

I literally cant think of anything with worse writing than this show.

Well, then you must not watch many bad shows.

2 minutes ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

I think everyone's complaints about the obisidian are that it is a metal you would carve, not melt and rework.

Sure, I'm just saying "magic" is often the answer in a fantasy series, and one that shouldn't be dismissed out of hand even for the books.

1 minute ago, divica said:

Jon and sam's scene was also real. It might not be the scene we wanted, but given sam's talk with danny it made sense. Even how jon reacted when he sees that sam was sad thinking it was something related with gilly… It just lacked epicness...

Matter of opinion. One can even argue that all scenes are real since they “exist”. 

I didn’t like the scene w/ Jon and Sam. 

And speaking of Jon... can someone explain to me why the hell the costumes are all over the place? Jon is dressed w/ a ton of layers and fur and whathaveyou, all the time, as far as I recall. Even indoors. And everyone else dressed in various levels of coverage/protection. It really caught my eye, and I found it quite annoying, even if it’s not as atrocious as the dialogue.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

Well, then you must not watch many bad shows.

Sure, I'm just saying "magic" is often the answer in a fantasy series, and one that shouldn't be dismissed out of hand even for the books.

Yeah, but Gendry doesn't know any magic.  There are dozens of things I would put ahead of complaining about the dragonglass being melted, though. The poor writing didn't particularly stand out to me in this episode, although it does appear sometimes that the actors don't seem to know what they are supposed to be emoting at any given moment, so there is a lot of stony glances.  Sansa is a terrible character on the show, and I'm sorry, but her behavior is not that of a 'smart' person but an immature, and not too nice person, I guess that she is supposed to be now smart and praiseworthy, despite her actions being selfish and petty, says more about the showrunners than anything else.

4 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

That was a great post, thank you for the Obsidian information, and Welcome!! 

A Girl is out of time now, but I look forward to the possibility of posting with you in the future.  :cheers:

ps.  YES!!  Nik is wonderful as Jaime, isn't he?  And, he's not even CGI'd in like the dragons, wink wink.  The lack of dialogue from the Ds always helps, though, doesn't it? 

That's the rub.  Tough to act well when you're trying to speak the words of the fools writing this show.  The best moments are silence.

I will say Sam did alright, even if his dialog was a little stilted.  I did enjoy his, "well, at least I can go home now," line.  That was believable.

8 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

And speaking of Jon... can someone explain to me why the hell the costumes are all over the place? Jon is dressed w/ a ton of layers and fur and whathaveyou, all the time, as far as I recall. Even indoors. And everyone else dressed in various levels of coverage/protection. It really caught my eye, and I found it quite annoying, even if it’s not as atrocious as the dialogue.

I saw this mentioned in one of the reviews I read - pointing out that even back in Ned Stark days the main guy (now Jon) always dressed with, like, 8 foxes on his neck or something while everyone else looked relatively lax on the layers.  I don't really care about it, but it is observable, and kind of just randomly weird.

5 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Yeah, but Gendry doesn't know any magic. 

YET

5 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

The poor writing didn't particularly stand out to me in this episode, although it does appear sometimes that the actors don't seem to know what they are supposed to be emoting at any given moment, so there is a lot of stony glances.  Sansa is a terrible character on the show, and I'm sorry, but her behavior is not that of a 'smart' person but an immature, and not too nice person, I guess that she is supposed to be now smart and praiseworthy, despite her actions being selfish and petty, says more about the showrunners than anything else.

Agree with pretty much all of this.  Sansa has been rewarded with always being right by the showrunners since the beginning of the 6th season.  I guess that's her reward for getting raped.  But particularly when she's whining about the Glovers going back to Deepwood I really wanted Jon to say "oh noes, I brought the biggest army in the world and in exchange we lost Glover's levies."  Like, seriously, the show seems to be intentionally trying to make the North - and by extension Sansa - look like the whiniest douchebags ever.

3 minutes ago, Dragons Are Real said:

will say Sam did alright, even if his dialog was a little stilted.  I did enjoy his, "well, at least I can go home now," line.  That was believabl

It is especially believable b/c it’s there just so Dany can go, “Gotcha! I saved the best for last, burned your lil brother alive too!”. Yikes.

I think somebody mentioned that you should watch this show with the sound turned off, so you can enjoy the imagery without dealing the awful written plot and dialogue.  You can fill in the blank.

I do wonder if maybe one day, when (if?) the books are released and we have the real ending, some enterprising fan will reedit the last few season with dubbed in dialogue that would make it all better.

On the obsidian forging, I agree with all criticism. A medieval forge can't get enough heat to melt that stuff.

At the very least, they could have had the characters stuck on this issue, until they decide to use DRAGON FIRE, to melt the obsidian.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

Like, seriously, the show seems to be intentionally trying to make the North - and by extension Sansa - look like the whiniest douchebags ever.

The North doesn't remember shit in the show, least of all do they remember their oaths to House Stark.  They don't remember this either:

"When there was a Stark in Winterfell, a maiden girl could walk down the kingsroad in her name-day gown and still go unmolested, and travelers could find fire, bread, and salt at many an inn and holdfast. But the nights are colder now, and doors are closed ...."

19 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

He and everyone else are wearing furs inside the great hall, because apparently none of the fireplaces work. :P The more annoying part is how he is constantly wearing armor.

Poor Yohn Royce, constantly carrying that big chest plate all over. His back must be fucked by now.

5 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Poor Yohn Royce, constantly carrying that big chest plate all over. His back must be fucked by now.

Is he even called Yohn in the show?  I prefer to think of him as Nestor.

22 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Yeah, but Gendry doesn't know any magic.  There are dozens of things I would put ahead of complaining about the dragonglass being melted, though. The poor writing didn't particularly stand out to me in this episode, although it does appear sometimes that the actors don't seem to know what they are supposed to be emoting at any given moment, so there is a lot of stony glances.  Sansa is a terrible character on the show, and I'm sorry, but her behavior is not that of a 'smart' person but an immature, and not too nice person, I guess that she is supposed to be now smart and praiseworthy, despite her actions being selfish and petty, says more about the showrunners than anything else.

LOLz

I just had a thought; D&D think that Sansas character and dialogue are 'smart'. This is what they think 'smart' is.

Dick, cock, cunt, bitch and balls are clever words that should be used 1000x per episode and Sansa is 'smart'. It actually makes perfect sense. And the reason we know they think she is smart is because Arya told us so, otherwise we wouldn't have known.

It is smart for Sansa to dislike Dany because she is pretty, that is very smart. duh

31 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Matter of opinion. One can even argue that all scenes are real since they “exist”. 

I didn’t like the scene w/ Jon and Sam. 

I also did not like the scene at all. It was rushed and at the end the first thing Jon said after it was explained was 'Dany is our Queen'.....irrelevant to the current conversation, ruined it for me. he should have been like 'Lyanna was my mother!!!!!, Rhaegar was my father!!!!! ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!' but he gets none of that.

22 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

It is especially believable b/c it’s there just so Dany can go, “Gotcha! I saved the best for last, burned your lil brother alive too!”. Yikes.

It was Danny's smirk that sold it as a heartfelt moment.

That's sarcasm by the way.  She needs to get that in check or everyone left is going to start thinking she's nuttier than her father and her brother combined.

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

Is he even called Yohn in the show?  I prefer to think of him as Nestor.

Unfortunately, it is Yohn. The symbol on the rags he's wearing over the armor is that of the Royces of Runestone, and I'm pretty sure the name was dropped once in a previous season.

19 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

On the obsidian forging, I agree with all criticism. A medieval forge getting enough heat to melt that stuff.

At the very least, they could have had the characters stuck on this issue, until they decide to use DRAGON FIRE, to melt the obsidian.

Although i find this issue nitpicking... Obsidiana does look more like a regular stone that needs carving and does not behaves like a metal. That being Said, could be a chance to use gendry this season and Maybelline tyrion. The dwarf says dracarys and then The dragon melt some obsidian and we got 2 cock jokes in between.  A use for chracters they dont know what to do

1 minute ago, Dragons Are Real said:

It was Danny's smirk that sold it as a heartfelt moment.

That's sarcasm by the way.  She needs to get that in check or everyone left is going to start thinking she's nuttier than her father and her brother combined.

Also can we talk about how stupid it was for the Tarly's to lay down their lives out of loyalty to Cersei? it reminds me of Manafort and Trump--like how dumb are you? you think Cersei will reward anything for this loyal display now that you are both dead, what good did it do? what purpose did it serve? Has Dickon ever even met Cersei, did she strike fear in his heart to bring on this insane devotion?

Also can we talk about how stupid it was for the Tarly's to lay down their lives out of loyalty to Cersei? it reminds me of Manafort and Trump--like how dumb are you? you think Cersei will reward anything for this loyal display now that you are both dead, what good did it do? what purpose did it serve? Has Dickon ever even met Cersei, did she strike fear in his heart to bring on this insane devotion?

There is really no reason for anyone to be loyal to Cersei.  But D&D loves her so they "wanted it to happen".

I ranted about this last season.  Why is ANYONE loyal to Cersie at this point?  She's proven over and over again that she can't be trusted.  Even the commoners know she took out their equivalent of the pope, along with countless other dignitaries and royal family members.  She killed off the beloved queen of the people which lead to her own son's death, and she's literally betrayed anyone that was ever stupid enough to remain loyal to her.  So by all means, let's lay down our lives for this empty, soulless, mindless failure of spite and rage.

It kills me that D&D like Cersie as a character, so they refuse to see her through any glass other than rose tinted, no matter how evil she behaves or how many she betrays.  That's not the way people react to crazy, deluded leadership.

So they have just as good a grip on this as they do any other potential plot point.

10 minutes ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

The political equivalent would not be Manafort, nor Cohen nor Flynn.  It would be a convert, whereas Manafort represented despots for a living, Cohen was his lawyer, and Flynn was just an idiot.  Tarly (Randyll) would be more like Mattis or McMaster.  Or Kelly, I suppose, in terms of the convert becomes the zealot cliche, although Kelly was always that zealous.

Archived