Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

6 minutes ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

LOLz

I just had a thought; D&D think that Sansas character and dialogue are 'smart'. This is what they think 'smart' is.

Dick, cock, cunt, bitch and balls are clever words that should be used 1000x per episode and Sansa is 'smart'. It actually makes perfect sense. And the reason we know they think she is smart is because Arya told us so, otherwise we wouldn't have known.

It is smart for Sansa to dislike Dany because she is pretty, that is very smart. duh

Yes, it’s all so very, very clever. And edgy! Don’t forget “edgy”! :rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

I also did not like the scene at all. It was rushed and at the end the first thing Jon said after it was explained was 'Dany is our Queen'.....irrelevant to the current conversation, ruined it for me. he should have been like 'Lyanna was my mother!!!!!, Rhaegar was my father!!!!! ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!' but he gets none of that.

I thought it was very rushed as well. I mean, isn’t that one of the central mysteries in the story? Jon’s bastard status has been a big him for him and the story since day 1. Then the reveal comes, and Jon is... nothing. Perhaps looking a tad more constipated than usual, but that’s it. 

4 minutes ago, Dragons Are Real said:

It was Danny's smirk that sold it as a heartfelt moment.

:lmao:

4 minutes ago, Dragons Are Real said:

That's sarcasm by the way.  She needs to get that in check or everyone left is going to start thinking she's nuttier than her father and her brother combined.

I agree. I was gonna say my least fave scene was when she replied to Sansa’s question, “what do dragons eat? (or whatever), “whatever they want (whatever) because the smirking there was pretty awesome too. 

But the main problem IMO is the writing. It always goes back to that, cant be helped. Also the whole idea of being so terribly secretive about things doesn’t quite work, does it? One gets the impression the actors are kept pretty much in the dark for as long as possible. Must make it horribly difficult to for them to perform. 

I think the reason for this is, at least in part, because of how much of the show’s success relies on surprising/shocking twists. They leave so much unexplained and then when they want the audience to learn something, we get some sort of silly infodump and that’s it. 

Like Bran seeing the past and all the stuff about Jon’s birth but not that Rhaegar and Lyanna had married... in comes Sam w/ the infodump. 

Now Sansa is the smartest person Arya has ever met... Ok? I don’t care? Because that’s the effect it has on me, the characters don’t feel real, and I find it extremely hard to even pretend to care about any of them, faves included. You should have seen my husbands horrified look when I started to literally laugh out loud when Talisa got stabbed in the foetus. :dunno:

1 minute ago, DMC said:

The political equivalent would not be Manafort, nor Cohen nor Flynn.  It would be a convert, whereas Manafort represented despots for a living, Cohen was his lawyer, and Flynn was just an idiot.  Tarly (Randyll) would be more like Mattis or McMaster.  Or Kelly, I suppose, in terms of the convert becomes the zealot cliche, although Kelly was always that zealous.

But we can agree that all have misplaced their loyalty in Trump, in the end he will turn over his own children to save himself if it comes to it, just as anyone who places their trust and devotion in Cersei is fucking stupid.

21 minutes ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

Also can we talk about how stupid it was for the Tarly's to lay down their lives out of loyalty to Cersei? it reminds me of Manafort and Trump--like how dumb are you? you think Cersei will reward anything for this loyal display now that you are both dead, what good did it do? what purpose did it serve? Has Dickon ever even met Cersei, did she strike fear in his heart to bring on this insane devotion?

Exactly. Also, Tarly had sworn lealty to Cersei 5 mins earlier? Cersei, who destroyed the Tyrells, Tarly’s sworn lieges since whatever? :lol:

But the Tarlys weren't ever even devoted to her, they turned their cloaks about 5 minutes ago, which, I maintain if they would abandon House Tyrell for Cersei, they wouldn't have a problem abandoning her for Dany, so the whole thing was stupid from beginning to end.  Why would you die for some stupid POS who isn't even a rightful queen, who has committed regicide, kinslaying, incest on top of a mass murder terrorist hit job on the Sept?????  But this goes back to the show just ignoring that in RL Cersei would need all her troops to prevent a storming of the Red Keep to drag her out and kill her.

4 minutes ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

But we can agree that all have misplaced their loyalty in Trump, in the end he will turn over his own children to save himself if it comes to it, just as anyone who places their trust and devotion in Cersei is fucking stupid.

Of course, I just like to be precise with my political analogies :) 

9 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

But the Tarlys weren't ever even devoted to her, they turned their cloaks about 5 minutes ago, which, I maintain if they would abandon House Tyrell for Cersei, they wouldn't have a problem abandoning her for Dany, so the whole thing was stupid from beginning to end.  Why would you die for some stupid POS who isn't even a rightful queen, who has committed regicide, kinslaying, incest on top of a mass murder terrorist hit job on the Sept?????  But this goes back to the show just ignoring that in RL Cersei would need all her troops to prevent a storming of the Red Keep to drag her out and kill her.

In real life there's a better than average chance Cersei's troops will turn on her and kill her to prevent themselves from being wiped out for supporting a lunatic that needs to die.  We've seen monarchs pulled from their beds, drug into the street and torn to shreds for less than she's done in the real world.  I doubt any amount of troops would prevent that from happening in a place as populated as Kings Landing is purported to be.

1 minute ago, Dragons Are Real said:

In real life there's a better than average chance Cersei's troops will turn on her and kill her to prevent themselves from being wiped out for supporting a lunatic that needs to die.  We've seen monarchs pulled from their beds, drug into the street and torn to shreds for less than she's done in the real world.  I doubt any amount of troops would prevent that from happening in a place as populated as Kings Landing is purported to be.

I agree, and that would be interesting, as well as realistic.  If we saw angry mobs in KL.  If we saw, a Cersei who was, herself, melting down, paranoid, hysterical, using violence against the smallfok to maintain power,  instead of this regal emotionless, no facial expressions either version that Lena has given us the last couple seasons, and apparently not a single soul in KL cares that she has usurped the throne, killed the queen, caused her son's death, kinslayed, committed incest and so on.  Everyone is good with that even though there is no more Tyrell food coming for winter.

41 minutes ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

I also did not like the scene at all. It was rushed and at the end the first thing Jon said after it was explained was 'Dany is our Queen'.....irrelevant to the current conversation, ruined it for me. he should have been like 'Lyanna was my mother!!!!!, Rhaegar was my father!!!!! ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!' but he gets none of that.

But that was because sam was guiding the conversation in that direction. Jon was clearly shocked after he accepts that sam is telling the truth and is guiving automatic responses...

I still have hope that jon will want to speak further about his parents with bran and sam. The scene can t just end like that without jon asking why poeple think that lyanna was kidnaped or asking bran to see into the past and tell him about his mother and father… Besides the fact that jon must feel betrayed and confused...

22 minutes ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

It's not a good analogy.  Trump has a base of support, who are loyal to him. So some people stay loyal to him because they want to placate that base. There is no equivalent base in the Cersei analogy, she doesn't have the smallfolk, she doesn't have the nobility, and she doesn't have the faith, what's her base?

Is It just me or It seems like a Lot hotter than It should in winterfell?

Also, the zombie army is way past the wall with a dragon zombie. 

We dont see scouts and effective preparations for the Battle. Instead we get some waterfall love, wedding's plans, lord intrigues. The only thing that should make Sense was obsidian weapons and they nesses It up like we said.

Bran told The dead were coming and everybody looks fine...

We should at least  get a hint of some war plan. Maybe The plan os Just attack the dead with 12 obsidian weapons...

5 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I agree, and that would be interesting, as well as realistic.  If we saw angry mobs in KL.  If we saw, a Cersei who was, herself, melting down, paranoid, hysterical, using violence against the smallfok to maintain power,  instead of this regal emotionless, no facial expressions either version that Lena has given us the last couple seasons, and apparently not a single soul in KL cares that she has usurped the throne, killed the queen, caused her son's death, kinslayed, committed incest and so on.  Everyone is good with that even though there is no more Tyrell food coming for winter.

More than that. She also killed kevan and probably other lannisters in the sept explosion. Why do the lannister troops still follow her? Wasn t kevan their comander?

5 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

It doesn't even feel like Cersei is even in King's Landing. It's like she is in this floating pyramid like Ra from Stargate and all her people are down below. When was the last time we've seen a normal scene in King's Landing? Every scene is either in the Dragon's pit or inside the Red Keep. There is no sense of her being the ruler of an actual city, let alone the 7 Kingdoms.

1 minute ago, SuperMario said:

It doesn't even feel like Cersei is even in King's Landing. It's like she is in this floating pyramid like Ra from Stargate and all her people are down below. When was the last time we've seen a normal scene in King's Landing? Every scene is either in the Dragon's pit or inside the Red Keep. There is no sense of her being the ruler of an actual city, let alone the 7 Kingdoms.

We have seen the smallfolk praising euron for capturing the elaria and friends… The question is why would they do that when they hated cersei 3 or 4 eps before...

2 minutes ago, divica said:

More than that. She also killed kevan and probably other lannisters in the sept explosion. Why do the lannister troops still follow her? Wasn t kevan their comander?

They wouldn't.  She killed Kevan and Lancel and probably other Lannisters as well.  The Lannister bannermen would tell her to fuck off.  I can't express how galling it is that the Lannister bannermen, hell, even the Tyrell bannermen are more loyal to Cersei...than any of the Northern houses are to the Starks.  

2 minutes ago, divica said:

We have seen the smallfolk praising euron for capturing the elaria and friends… The question is why would they do that when they hated cersei 3 or 4 eps before...

I'm okay with that, the Martells after all in addition to killing their own Martell cousin and uncle for revenge that their aunt was killed [not too bright those SS], but they also killed the princess.  Everyone should cheer that those kinslaying assholes were caught, killed and/or imprisoned.  They were a menace to society 

1 minute ago, Cas Stark said:

I'm okay with that, the Martells after all in addition to killing their own Martell cousin and uncle for revenge that their aunt was killed [not too bright those SS], but they also killed the princess.  Everyone should cheer that those assholes were caught, killed and/or imprisoned.  They were a menace to society 

They killed the princess and the martells but cersei killed the queen and the high sparrow and a bunch of other important people and they know it! If they hate the SS then they must hate cersei!

3 minutes ago, joaozinm said:

Is It just me or It seems like a Lot hotter than It should in winterfell?

Also, the zombie army is way past the wall with a dragon zombie. 

We dont see scouts and effective preparations for the Battle. Instead we get some waterfall love, wedding's plans, lord intrigues. The only thing that should make Sense was obsidian weapons and they nesses It up like we said.

Bran told The dead were coming and everybody looks fine...

We should at least  get a hint of some war plan. Maybe The plan os Just attack the dead with 12 obsidian weapons...

HA!  Yes, yet another "wtf" moment!  I mean, we've always known the undead army moves at the speed of plot (i.e. glacially) but now it has an undead dragon which, as established last season, can cover half the length of Westeros in a matter of hours.  Realistically (who am I kidding?), the NK could just do to every stronghold of the living basically what Balerion did to Harrenhall before the living even have a chance to prepare.  Also, yes, Winterfell would have scouts out or at least would be receiving ravens with info on the movements of the undead army.  Oh well, maybe next ep?  

Something Prince of the North said there tripped a memory of one of my rants last night as I watched the episode.  As a motorcycle enthusiast I have to say riding bareback on a beast that can go as fast as dragons can up that high when it's supposed to be winter would be BRUTALLY cold.  Like, any exposed skin would be frozen within minutes level cold.  It drives me nuts that Jon and Danny just casually jump on the dragons and go joy riding without anything covering their faces or hands.  WTH?

I suppose we're supposed to believe the heat of the dragons escapes through their massive plate armor and keeps them warm even when going at those speeds?  Right, because the motorcycle engine does the same thing through open air to my legs.  NOT.

I know it's a tiny little nit to pick at when there's massive scabs everywhere else (grey scale), but damn if I can't help picking at it.

My bad apparently on the obsidian.

I've argued in other threads about Sam's point with regards to Dany and how at least that burning of the Tarlies had a pay off, but yeah, the whole pay-off is based on a non-sensical plot of Cersei even managing to proclaim herself queen without people at KL and Lannister soldiers throwing her out of a tower at the Red Keep. If Cersei did such a thing in the books, George would have KG plotting to poison her, and civilians called Hog proclaim themselves king instead. Not even dead-Clegane could stop them. Least of all, Cersei would be able to convince any southern house who are devout followers of the Faith to fight for her. Only Euron is crazy arrogant enough to do that. A pay-off out of a hamfisted set-up isn't much of a pay-off.

19 minutes ago, Dragons Are Real said:

Something Prince of the North said there tripped a memory of one of my rants last night as I watched the episode.  As a motorcycle enthusiast I have to say riding bareback on a beast that can go as fast as dragons can up that high when it's supposed to be winter would be BRUTALLY cold.  Like, any exposed skin would be frozen within minutes level cold.  It drives me nuts that Jon and Danny just casually jump on the dragons and go joy riding without anything covering their faces or hands.  WTH?

I suppose we're supposed to believe the heat of the dragons escapes through their massive plate armor and keeps them warm even when going at those speeds?  Right, because the motorcycle engine does the same thing through open air to my legs.  NOT.

I know it's a tiny little nit to pick at when there's massive scabs everywhere else (grey scale), but damn if I can't help picking at it.

I know exactly what you mean. I come from a motorcycle riding family, and even I who hasn't ridden near as much as some others in my family have, even I know how unrealistic this is. It's one of the "turn the brain off" moments.

Speaking of wind speed effects, it is good to know that there are secret curling irons everywhere Dany flies to because her hair is always perfectly coiffed, never windblown. And now with Jon, too, I suppose :dunno: Staying hot is hawt!

Archived