Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

10 hours ago, SuperMario said:

Still love how PJ refers to Jon as Kit Harrington in every scene. Such an accurate description.

Accurate! The characters are all the actors now. The dragons are usually the best actors, but even they can't work with a bad script. As he says in the video, is the dragon watching Jon and Dany cockblocking or does he want in on the action... no one knows.

(Oh and Shade of the Lamp made an appearance, too! He has a starring role on the show.)

32 minutes ago, Dragons Are Real said:

Are we allowed to rant about merchandising here?  Well, I guess I'm gonna, and the mods can feel free to edit it out if they like.

I didn't complain about the wines, ridiculous though they may be.  I didn't complain about the oreos, because hey, they're charging normal prices for 'em so who cares.  But I will complain about the Fender Custom Shop Game of Thones House Guitars.  It offends me as both a guitarist and a GoT fan.  Especially that they're custom shop instruments starting at, get this, $25,000 and up.  I saw pricing for one of them over $30,000.  Really?  Who's going to pay that kinda money that isn't high, stoned, so rich they can't see the guitar over their stacks of money or so stupid that they believe it will give them a huge return on investment somewhere down the line?  Depreciation on those is going to be BRUTAL when people get over their starry-eyed view of the final season and realize what a travesty has occurred here.

Also a guitarist and a Fender fanboy, but I wouldn't buy one of those for more than $100, and even then I'd leave it at home because graphic finishes on guitars are only cool if you're 14 or younger. Nevermind the fact that I wouldn't be interested even if I was 14 or younger because of course there was no Baratheon guitar.

As far as the episode goes though...anyone else kind of just wish the entire show was just the subplot with Tormund, Edd and Beric at this point? I'd be stoked about the fact that the show seems to be setting up conflict between Jon and Dany too via Sansa and Sams apprehension towards her, but I'm not holding my breath because D$D have seemingly set up and failed to fall through on Dark Dany so many fucking times now only to just go back to glorifying her.

This is a good point. They cut out the in between things, and that's the best part. It's always been clear things were going to end badly for most of them. What's missing is meaning, and that's found in the in between things.

As the storytelling speeds toward the show’s conclusion, it increasingly doesn’t tell stories. It sets stories up and pays them off, and hopes that you don’t notice it didn’t do anything in between... Increasingly, Game of Thrones just shows us the beginnings and endings of things, like Theon’s rescue of Yara, or Daenerys’s decision to go to Westeros, or Cersei’s decision to raise an army of her own. Often, we’ll see a character declare they’re going to do something, and the next time we see them, they’ll have done it.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/4/17/18411022/game-of-thrones-season-8-premiere-recap-winterfell-second-act-bad

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

PJ reviews are fun, but he's pretty crazy in his 'theories' as I remember.

For a few years I saw Kit's acting improving, but he seems to have hit a plateau, which let us say, is still a far reach from being a great or good actor.  

Yeah, his skinchanging Sweet Robin stuff is the main reason I kinda stayed away from his episode reviews.  No offense meant to him, but then again, I stay away from many other theorists and their videos.  I have to REALLY want to hear what someone has to say about anything in order to watch a video that is more than just a few minutes long.  And I mean the short, short version of a few minutes, LOL  As many here have kept recommending his episode reviews, I'd given one or two a peek last season.  I did watch this one, too.  He does keep his book theories out of the reviews, it seems, he brings up many good points, but since I haven't always watched, I am a bit 'out of the loop' on some of his jokes. 

1 hour ago, Dragons Are Real said:

So in the photos released in promos, it looks like Bran now has a fully modernized wheelchair, just without rubber wheels?  That struck me as odd.

Are we allowed to rant about merchandising here?  Well, I guess I'm gonna, and the mods can feel free to edit it out if they like.

I didn't complain about the wines, ridiculous though they may be.  I didn't complain about the oreos, because hey, they're charging normal prices for 'em so who cares.  But I will complain about the Fender Custom Shop Game of Thones House Guitars.  It offends me as both a guitarist and a GoT fan.  Especially that they're custom shop instruments starting at, get this, $25,000 and up.  I saw pricing for one of them over $30,000.  Really?  Who's going to pay that kinda money that isn't high, stoned, so rich they can't see the guitar over their stacks of money or so stupid that they believe it will give them a huge return on investment somewhere down the line?  Depreciation on those is going to be BRUTAL when people get over their starry-eyed view of the final season and realize what a travesty has occurred here.

Which leads me to the bright side.  If any of them appealed to me, I'll probably be able to pick one up in a pawn shop in twenty years for a couple Benjamins.  I mean, whoever is paying new price now is definitely smoking something that costs 'em, and eventually they'll have to sell it to get that fix.

OK, now back to the show:

I'm very hopeful we'll see some much needed death soon, though it's looking like we're going to have to go through a farce trial for Jamie first, where they'll all come at him guns blazing the whole trial, then pat him on the back and welcome him to the fray because reasons.  Hopefully he'll just tell everybody they're too stupid to team up with and ride off into the sunset.

That is absolutely #BatShitCrazy  I imagine Fender is thinking about all those 1%ers that must be watching GOT?  I didn't check out the link, but part of me wants to ask if this is for electric or acoustic guitars, but the other part of me is just envisioning smashing them anyway. 

I love your idea for Jaime, since I'm fairly certain you have described his farce of a trial perfectly.  Perhaps Brienne the Brute will manage to go with him without making a badass comment about it first. 

11 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

Yeah, his skinchanging Sweet Robin stuff is the main reason I kinda stayed away from his episode reviews.  No offense meant to him, but then again, I stay away from many other theorists and their videos.  I have to REALLY want to hear what someone has to say about anything in order to watch a video that is more than just a few minutes long.  And I mean the short, short version of a few minutes, LOL  As many here have kept recommending his episode reviews, I'd given one or two a peek last season.  I did watch this one, too.  He does keep his book theories out of the reviews, it seems, he brings up many good points, but since I haven't always watched, I am a bit 'out of the loop' on some of his jokes. 

Yeah, I basically don't agree with any of his theories, but I enjoy his episode review videos.

18 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

I love your idea for Jaime, since I'm fairly certain you have described his farce of a trial perfectly.  Perhaps Brienne the Brute will manage to go with him without making a badass comment about it first. 

I'm envisioning all Jaime's known crimes being listed off for several hours and him responding with "But...but...Aerys was gonna torch Kings Landing!  He had to be stopped to save countless innocent lives!"  And everyone going "Oh!  Well, in that case, you're alright by us!" with a few attaboys and hearty back slaps thrown in for good measure.

Then Bran'll be all like "Psst!  Jaime!  Over here.  Glad you're off the hook for that whole Kingslaying thing but there's still that other small matter we need to discuss (wink, wink).  Well, if you do this certain thing (suicide mission) for me, all will be forgiven.";)

Or would something like that make too much sense?:P     

10 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

I'm envisioning all Jaime's known crimes being listed off for several hours and him responding with "But...but...Aerys was gonna torch Kings Landing!  He had to be stopped to save countless innocent lives!"  And everyone going "Oh!  Well, in that case, you're alright by us!" with a few attaboys and hearty back slaps thrown in for good measure.

Then Bran'll be all like "Psst!  Jaime!  Over here.  Glad you're off the hook for that whole Kingslaying thing but there's still that other small matter we need to discuss (wink, wink).  Well, if you do this certain thing (suicide mission) for me, all will be forgiven.";)

You're thinking in terms of character and story.  That's way too deep and almost skirts along the edge of an overriding theme for their character arcs.  And you know what themes are for: eighth grade book reports.

Any interaction between Bran and Jamie will likely be Bran saying thank you and Jamie giving him massive WTF looks.  Until he smiles knowingly for absolutely no reason whatsoever and then they shake hands and sing bromance songs together until Brienne comes in and breaks it up in a jealous rage.

2 minutes ago, Dragons Are Real said:

You're thinking in terms of character and story.  That's way too deep and almost skirts along the edge of an overriding theme for their character arcs.  And you know what themes are for: eighth grade book reports.

Any interaction between Bran and Jamie will likely be Bran saying thank you and Jamie giving him massive WTF looks.  Until he smiles knowingly for absolutely no reason whatsoever and then they shake hands and sing bromance songs together until Brienne comes in and breaks it up in a jealous rage.

I know, silly me!  I was just thinking it could make some sense, as just one example, for Professor X-Bran to send Jaime to kill his sister, evil Queen Melificercei.  It could even neatly tie back into that whole Valenqar prophecy thing that was actually established several seasons ago.  You know, actually tie up a loose end in a "somewhat" logical manner like real stories sometimes do:rolleyes:  

28 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

It won t be a trial. They are all just pissed with him because cersei lied and want to vent...

1 minute ago, divica said:

It won t be a trial. They are all just pissed with him because cersei lied and want to vent...

Oh, you're probably right.  But, in any case, the world (and especially Dany) is gonna learn the reason for the kingslaying.  Hopefully, they'll do something interesting or remotely realistic with Dany's reaction to it.

11 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

Oh, you're probably right.  But, in any case, the world (and especially Dany) is gonna learn the reason for the kingslaying.  Hopefully, they'll do something interesting or remotely realistic with Dany's reaction to it.

I think if jaimie tells that aerys wanted to burn KL it will make everybody like danny even less and be afraid of her. I don t know how much impact that will have on her though. She already know her dad was mad and she doesn t have a prob with burning people. Besides the fact that she doesn t have a lot of reason to believe him...

2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

For a few years I saw Kit's acting improving, but he seems to have hit a plateau, which let us say, is still a far reach from being a great or good actor.  

Kit is one of the few actors in got that can express emotions with his face. It is still too early this season to tell (specially with the weird scene in front of the waterfall that to me was balanced with his scene with sam) but he did a really good job last season. We could understand how he was feeling without being told...

17 minutes ago, divica said:

I think if jaimie tells that aerys wanted to burn KL it will make everybody like danny even less and be afraid of her. I don t know how much impact that will have on her though. She already know her dad was mad and she doesn t have a prob with burning people. Besides the fact that she doesn t have a lot of reason to believe him...

Yup, hopefully, the show puts half the thought into this that you just did;)

17 minutes ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

I think Dany should leave Jon and hook up with Jaime instead after he apologizes for killing her father and they all hug.

To be fair, bad boy kingslayer is much more the type of man book Dany likes than pouty, brooding boring Jon Snow, jon snow is like a more handsome version of quentyn, but mud ( or snow?) still, not the fire "young girls and fools" like, according to Barristan, and would fit the "a more young and beautiful queen will come and take everything from you".

3 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

I agree, the merchandising and marketing seems like they said yes to anything and everything, there isn't any kind of actual 'branding' methodology behind anything....which I guess since this is the last season, it would certainly max out the $$$ for everyone involved, but is kind of a shame.

Most of the customers for high end items like the guitars are -- duh -- the silicon valley elite.

The customers for Ani and Alex GOT jewelry, like those for the Wonder Woman jewelry some years back (already!), are pretty middle of the road types, who buy it for girlfriends, daughters, nieces and so on.

The Varvartos clothes though -- gads, who has that much bad taste -- I mean they are far lower end Billions wardrobe wannabes, and the Billions wardrobe persons think through every piece every character wears.  And it is the real stuff.

I walk for work every day I'm here past an Ani & Alex and a Varvartos shop, so I see them all the time.

4 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Yeah, I think he's the one that came up with "The Wall is a spaceship."

3 hours ago, Prince of the North said:

I think Jaime's defense of killing Aerys because of potential wildfire is actually less coherent when... he supported Cersei for an entire season after she ACTUALLY used wildfire to kill the High Septon, queen, and Lord of Highgarden, as well as her own uncle and cousin and many other courtiers. 

1 minute ago, Vaith said:

I think Jaime's defense of killing Aerys because of potential wildfire is actually less coherent when... he supported Cersei for an entire season after she ACTUALLY used wildfire to kill the High Septon, queen, and Lord of Highgarden, as well as her own uncle and cousin and many other courtiers. 

Lack of coeherence that makes this theory even more likeable to happen.

Archived