Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

49 minutes ago, teej6 said:

How did Bran explain himself? He just said the same “I’m not Brandon Stark anymore” and some mambo jumbo about the NK making attempts on past 3ERs and how he’s the memory bank of humanity. I’m still confused.  

I'm so annoyed at the entire Branbot situation. This is the first episode we get even a hint at what Bran knows with everyone in the room. Shouldn't all of them be peppering him with questions on everything he knows? Sam is the only one even attempting to understand and figure out what Bran knows.

They literally have a omniscient demi-god sitting in front of them, and they care more about fucking songs, drinking and fucking.

1 minute ago, SuperMario said:

I'm so annoyed at the entire Branbot situation. This is the first episode we get even a hint at what Bran knows with everyone in the room. Shouldn't all of them be peppering him with questions on everything he knows? Sam is the only one even attempting to understand and figure out what Bran knows.

They literally have a omniscient demi-god sitting in front of them, and they care more about fucking songs, drinking and fucking.

It's pretty stupid, which suggests that maybe Bran Prime never leaves the far North and some of us who took this show version to mean he comes back were wrong. The characters in the books by and large aren't stupid, so anyone who is with Bran at WF is going to be talking to him non stop to find an advantage and understand how to use his power. Since no one really does that, it may be that he stays in the weirnet in the books that will not be written.

6 minutes ago, SuperMario said:

At least Tyrion took the time lol.

I liked that scene, he was like 'Ok I am pulling up a chair, please fucking tell me everything, because I (and apparently no one else) am slightly curious as to the fate of the world and everything that has happened.......

wouldn't it be funny if Branbot told Tyrion off screen that his father was Aerys targaryen... :rofl:

1 minute ago, SuperMario said:

Lol. They did have curious Tyrion pull up a chair and ask Bran to reveal all. Although the revelation of the Branbot mystery happens offscreen. And soon after this, we have a scene with Tyrion and Jamie discussing Tywin and hoping he was there to see his boys fight for Winterfell. And then of course, the whole merry band comes together for a bit of drinking and singing. Tyrion doesn’t seem to be in any way perturbed by his conversation with Bran, the person who may hold the key/knowledge to the mysteries and magic of the universe they live in. D&D seem to be totally averse to the magical elements of ASOIAF and that’s why you have Jon coming back from the dead and saying there’s nothing, although he was just resurrected by a sorceress, which makes no sense. It almost seems like they just wanted to show the politics and power dynamics in the show but didn’t want to address the fantasy elements. This is why they don’t want to or can’t seem to explain Bran’s powers.

13 minutes ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

I liked that scene, he was like 'Ok I am pulling up a chair, please fucking tell me everything, because I (and apparently no one else) am slightly curious as to the fate of the world and everything that has happened.......

wouldn't it be funny if Branbot told Tyrion off screen that his father was Aerys targaryen... :rofl:

Ah. You're right. Kind of forgot about the Tyrion scene. But yeah, nothing was learned. And yeah, the Ds love for things to be learned off-screen, so I am sure that is the case. Tyrion learns where whores go and his true Targ roots off-screen. hahaha.

3 minutes ago, SuperMario said:

Ah. You're right. Kind of forgot about the Tyrion scene. But yeah, nothing was learned. And yeah, the Ds love for things to be learned off-screen, so I am sure that is the case. Tyrion learns where whores go and his true Targ roots off-screen. hahaha.

Talking of which, it occurred to me as Tyrion was in conversation with his brother, that Tyrion hasn't been with a woman since Shae. I think that's right, isn't it?

20 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

Talking of which, it occurred to me as Tyrion was in conversation with his brother, that Tyrion hasn't been with a woman since Shae. I think that's right, isn't it?

Wasn't there that Volantene sex slave who loved him so much she was willing to sleep with him for free? Not sure if he did, but if there's one thing that's realistic on this show, it's that sex slaves will sleep with dwarves for free. :huh: :huh:

2 hours ago, Vaith said:

Sansa and Dany's talk is cut off by Theon

That seemed (almost) organic to story and character: Daenerys and Sansa are learning where each other's hard points are -- and Daenerys sees the Iron Islands are very close to Sansa  and the Starks, but particularly to Sansa, via Theon.  Not so much loyal to her, who needs their ships as much as anyone, particularly if the Battle goes all pearshape.  And this is before Daenerys learns that Jon is a Targeryan from the royal line.

As posted earlier, I too suspicion that the NK & WWs, or at least the WWs, will be taken care of in prolonged gruesome carnage next week, leaving the true villain to be Cersei -- because -- :idea: she's the only one of the primaries who isn't willing to be at Winterfell to fight for MAN. 

1 hour ago, lakin1013 said:

How could that smallish white husky be considered as GHOST?  Why can this show animate dragons, but cannot do a direwolf?  WHY!!!!

We know why, they admitted it: $$$$$. CGI direwolves are as expensive as CGI dragons and the dragons ate the budget…

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

That seemed (almost) organic to story and character: Daenerys and Sansa are learning where each other's hard points are -- and Daenerys sees the Iron Islands are very close to Sansa  and the Starks, but particularly to Sansa, via Theon.  Not so much loyal to her, who needs their ships as much as anyone, particularly if the Battle goes all pearshape.  And this is before Daenerys learns that Jon is a Targeryan from the royal line.

Sansa doesn't really have a relationship with the Iron Islands, though? That's more of Bran's thing, seeing as he's the one who had to flee Winterfell when Theon took over. They have a close relationship, sure, but that's mostly because of the Sansa Marriage Strike plot.

And I don't really know how much importance the Isles are going to have at this point. Besides, Dany already let the Isles have semi-independence in Season 6, so she's not as bothered with what they're doing as with the Northerners, apparently. 

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

As posted earlier, I too suspicion that the NK & WWs, or at least the WWs, will be taken care of in prolonged gruesome carnage next week, leaving the true villain to be Cersei -- because -- :idea: she's the only one of the primaries who isn't willing to be at Winterfell to fight for MAN. 

But that still makes her a secondary villain -- she prolonged the fight, but it was giving way for the NK to cause more death. The effects of her choices cause more death, but it isn't death itself.

Surely it'd be quite... underwhelming? If it was truly a race for the throne at the very end of the show rather than life vs death, humanity vs its destruction. 

10 minutes ago, Vaith said:

Sansa doesn't really have a relationship with the Iron Islands, though? That's more of Bran's thing, seeing as he's the one who had to flee Winterfell when Theon took over. They have a close relationship, sure, but that's mostly because of the Sansa Marriage Strike plot.

After rescue Yara takes their remaining ships to sail back to the Iron Islands, while Theon goes on to Winterfell (evidently via 7 League Boots or something).  She says their fleet is so depleted, and it can't get to Winterfell anyway, so she's preparing the Iron Islands as a bolt hole for the coalition of the living in case the Dead are not stopped.

Theon tells Sansa the same thing, and really, Jon, because Jon told him he was also Stark.  So he's a Stark in a real sense too, and thus he's there for them particularly, not particularly for Daenerys -- though like everyone else he and Yara are on Team Human Life and know that many and maybe all will die against Team Everybody Dead.

In other ways though, it did seem as though Sansa and Theon hadn't been so close before.  But honestly I hardly watched anything that happened at Winterfell in seasons 5 and 6, so there seems to be far more there than I saw, since I honestly couldn't bear to watch the large number of the prolonged torture scenes, of so many kinds with that one whose name I neither type nor speak.

So then -- what does my totally squeamish self know. 

Surely it'd be quite... underwhelming? If it was truly a race for the throne at the very end of the show rather than life vs death, humanity vs its destruction. 

When Sauren was taken out, Sauraman still had mischief to commit.  But of course, I don't know anything, so I'm just speculating.

On 4/14/2019 at 10:23 PM, Nowy Tends said:

The real fun comes 10 mn after the show, in this thread! :lol:

This thread is the best thing about the show.  People have a very advanced sense of the absurd.  It cracks me up.

4 hours ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

I think this is our ending no matter what at this point.

Sadly I think you're right. If that is the case then I'm checking out as soon as the White Walkers are defeated. At this point The Hound is the only character I care about on the show and I don't care who ends up on the IT on it. I'm only in it for wanton dragon carnage and the occasional boob now.

The minute they switch from White Walkers to IT it's going to be wall to wall speeches and icey stares from what they unironically refer to as "strong female characters".

3 hours ago, SuperMario said:

Wasn't there that Volantene sex slave who loved him so much she was willing to sleep with him for free? Not sure if he did, but if there's one thing that's realistic on this show, it's that sex slaves will sleep with dwarves for free. :huh: :huh:

3 hours ago, SuperMario said:

Obviously, sex slaves are so happy with their lives that they give it away for free.  They don't have to worry that masters will beat them, or anything like that.

3 hours ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

Or Walder Frey.

5 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

It's pretty stupid, which suggests that maybe Bran Prime never leaves the far North and some of us who took this show version to mean he comes back were wrong. The characters in the books by and large aren't stupid, so anyone who is with Bran at WF is going to be talking to him non stop to find an advantage and understand how to use his power. Since no one really does that, it may be that he stays in the weirnet in the books that will not be written.

Of course he won't leave the cave! He is going to become a tree. The show just had a pointless and quite stupid action scene there after which the character of Bran became effectively useless which he still is. All he still is is a MacGuffin the Lich King apparently would like to kill - which, in context of the books, makes no sense at all considering that the Others must have known for a very, very long time that there still greenseers and Children of the Forest in their land. They could have dug them out and killed them all a long, long time ago. If Bloodraven is still alive in the books when Bran reaches him, there is no reason to believe that a greenseer is that much a threat to the Others.

Oh, I don't doubt that Bran can and will become a nuisance to the Others, but not a real or dangerous enemy.

George set up a perfect system how to have him interact with the other characters without ever leaving the cave. He can talk through the trees, he can talk through animals, he can talk and act through other people. That's enough to continue to play a big role.

I never understood what people thought Bran could ever do or contribute to the plot if he ever physically got out of the cave that he couldn't do from in there.

Archived