Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

6 hours ago, The Coconut God said:

Arthas? :lol: Even current WoW characters have more depth than half the cast of the show, and WoW's writing isn't exactly fantastic.

A couple of years ago, I was comparing Cersei's crowning to Sylvanas being named Warchief. Both scenes are roughly two minutes and a half long, both are about an evil scheming bitch being put in charge over a nation. In those two minutes, the bloody in-game cutscene manages to communicate why she gets the title, address the fact that she was an unlikely choice, show us the reactions of the other leaders (who in this case were potential claimants themselves!) and show her some of the people behind her. At the end of the clip, you buy that she's in charge.

By comparison, Cersei's clip feels like empty weight. We are served a jarring plot development with no explanation. We don't see the lords or the people reacting to this, the only reaction we get is from Jaime, and he's mostly confused! They didn't even bother to add a simple "By the laws of gods and men" at the start of Qyburn's speech to at least establish on the spot that it is an accepted practice in Westeros for the dead king's mother to inherit the throne. No, that bum straight out "proclaims" her queen and that's that. Cue the music!

Qyburn is one of my biggest complaints on Cersei's crowning.  I don't care how many people Cersei blew up in The Sept., who in the Seven Hells is Qyburn to 'proclaim' anyone a Queen?  The show just doesn't even bother with logic.  I think the redoing of the Queen's Guard armor and all makes it even worse.  The tradition of the Guardsmen and their well known armor and attire would have lent Cersei more legitimacy and acceptance, I think.  Silly me, I'd think continuity in costuming would be something we could have, if not in story and sense. 

1 hour ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

Qyburn is one of my biggest complaints on Cersei's crowning.  I don't care how many people Cersei blew up in The Sept., who in the Seven Hells is Qyburn to 'proclaim' anyone a Queen?  The show just doesn't even bother with logic.  I think the redoing of the Queen's Guard armor and all makes it even worse.  The tradition of the Guardsmen and their well known armor and attire would have lent Cersei more legitimacy and acceptance, I think.  Silly me, I'd think continuity in costuming would be something we could have, if not in story and sense. 

Qyburn's actually been the new High Septon all this time :P

11 minutes ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

Is there even a High-Septon anymore? There's no small council right?

Everything in KL is run by Cersei and Qyburn and That. Is. It. amirite?

Therein lies the weakness of the show's later seasons.  Cersei is literally sitting in the Red Keep waiting for her close up, she is doing nothing, has done nothing, she's still in the show waiting for her final set of Big MomentsTM  So, the show will never even think about, let alone bother about trying to set up, even with a handful of throw away lines, any kind of realism...she and Q talking about riots, or the Faith or a small council or anything but her bwahahaha Ima kill enemies, and then guzzles some more wine. 

Same thing up at Winterfell, there's a visionary, a faceless man master assassin, two dragon riders, the former spymaster, a Dothraki horde [oh no Dothraki in the war council, roll eyes, and the unsullied.  No one's sharing any info, there is no sense that any of these skill positions are taken into consideration.  Because most of those people and groups don't belong at Winterfell in the first place and are there marking time until the show can make a clean sweep and kill off most of them to get to the final set of more Big MomentsTM 

3 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Therein lies the weakness of the show's later seasons.  Cersei is literally sitting in the Red Keep waiting for her close up, she is doing nothing, has done nothing, she's still in the show waiting for her final set of Big MomentsTM  So, the show will never even think about, let alone bother about trying to set up, even with a handful of throw away lines, any kind of realism...she and Q talking about riots, or the Faith or a small council or anything but her bwahahaha Ima kill enemies, and then guzzles some more wine. 

Same thing up at Winterfell, there's a visionary, a faceless man master assassin, two dragon riders, the former spymaster, a Dothraki horde [oh no Dothraki in the war council, roll eyes, and the unsullied.  No one's sharing any info, there is no sense that any of these skill positions are taken into consideration.  Because most of those people and groups don't belong at Winterfell in the first place and are there marking time until the show can make a clean sweet and kill off most of them to get to the final set of more Big MomentsTM 

bolded made me spit out my lunch lolz

Agreed none of it makes sense. Like where are all the lords of the Riverlands? Did everyone in High Garden just drop dead after Olenna was killed? Did everyone in Dorne drop dead when Poison Lips and Bad Pussy were killed by Cersei? are there no humans left anywhere? how are the people of KL doing? are they upset that their Vatican blew up? sigh

3 hours ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

Qyburn is one of my biggest complaints on Cersei's crowning.  I don't care how many people Cersei blew up in The Sept., who in the Seven Hells is Qyburn to 'proclaim' anyone a Queen? 

I couldn't tell you. Qyburn has the credibility of Ali G's experts in that scene.

Some forms of entertainment ask you to turn your brain off for a while. More often than not in the later seasons, GoT asks you to unplug it and throw it out a window into heavy traffic. There are scenes that start to unravel if you put even the barest minimum level of thought into them, and this is one of them (though not as bad as the Wight Hunt).

4 hours ago, Dragons Are Real said:

My word I hated that garbage.  That scene and the followup felt like the entire show was trying one-up it's stupidity with each moment.  I swear the only thing missing from that chase scene was a plate glass window being carried across the street for them to slam into.  While there were points before where you could see the writing on the wall, that was the moment where you knew they'd flat out given up any pretense of holding onto the plot.  Just toss whatever garbage you think of on screen and cross your fingers.

Bleh.

[Bolding mine.]

And a falling piano!  There's always a falling piano!  Also, the Benny Hill or Three Stooges theme playing along with it...

2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:
2 hours ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

Is there even a High-Septon anymore? There's no small council right?

Everything in KL is run by Cersei and Qyburn and That. Is. It. amirite?

Same thing up at Winterfell, there's a visionary, a faceless man master assassin, two dragon riders, the former spymaster, a Dothraki horde [oh no Dothraki in the war council, roll eyes, and the unsullied.  No one's sharing any info, there is no sense that any of these skill positions are taken into consideration.  Because most of those people and groups don't belong at Winterfell in the first place and are there marking time until the show can make a clean sweep and kill off most of them to get to the final set of more Big MomentsTM 

That is exactly what this season's Winterfell is... season 6 Baelor's Sept. Get 'em all in one place and just kill as many as possible in one swoop.

*wipes hand clean of plot logic*

8 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

That is exactly what this season's Winterfell is... season 6 Baelor's Sept. Get 'em all in one place and just kill as many as possible in one swoop.

This is the feeling I'm getting here too.  We're going to see a massive reduction in human numbers and a massive uptick in Night King troop counts next episode or two.  Frankly, the way the acting has been for all but some very select scenes for the last few seasons, they'll fit just fine as ice zombies, er, wights.

5 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I get why they are doing the battle at WF, even though it defies all in universe logic that anyone would march warm weather armies North instead of evacuate the Northerns to the South and make your stand below the neck where you've got logistics on your side. I'd be willing to suspend my disbelief on a stand at WF if it wasn't done so haphazardly.

But, the show doesn't even try anymore.  They simply do stuff and hope that the sheer stupidity or implausibility will be handwaved away by CGI, battles or a good scene.  But, things have devolved so much that there aren't even many good scenes anymore.  Everyone just sounds really stupid almost all the time.  The Brienne knighting scene, while no award winning dialogue there, at least was long enough that it felt realistic, which is why it got such a positive reaction from viewers.

5 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

4 hours ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

bolded made me spit out my lunch lolz

Agreed none of it makes sense. Like where are all the lords of the Riverlands? Did everyone in High Garden just drop dead after Olenna was killed? Did everyone in Dorne drop dead when Poison Lips and Bad Pussy were killed by Cersei? are there no humans left anywhere? how are the people of KL doing? are they upset that their Vatican blew up? sigh

LOLOLOL  Me too. 

It's amazing how the populations of entire kingdoms dwindle and drop as the Ds run out of story for a few characters in them. 

52 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

It's a good thing Qyburn doesn't have access to the Faces, he already has just about every job there is in KL. 

They could actually make this really comedic if they want to.

Like, have a small council session where it's Qyburn talking to himself and changing a hat every time he adopts the position of Hand of the Queen, Master of Whisperers, High Septon, Grand Maester, Master of Laws, Master of Coin, and Master of Ships. With UnGregor just like, sulking in a corner or something.

Maybe Euron is Master of Ships though? I mean they could have at least mentioned it offhandedly if he is going to be running her navy and popping back to KL every now and then.

Also, Dany making Sansa Master of Coin or something could have been a really good move if they wanted to show them getting along, and parallel S1E1 where the monarch arrives to invite the ruler of Winterfell on the small council. 

50 minutes ago, Vaith said:

They could actually make this really comedic if they want to.

Like, have a small council session where it's Qyburn talking to himself and changing a hat every time he adopts the position of Hand of the Queen, Master of Whisperers, High Septon, Grand Maester, Master of Laws, Master of Coin, and Master of Ships. With UnGregor just like, sulking in a corner or something.

Maybe Euron is Master of Ships though? I mean they could have at least mentioned it offhandedly if he is going to be running her navy and popping back to KL every now and then.

Also, Dany making Sansa Master of Coin or something could have been a really good move if they wanted to show them getting along, and parallel S1E1 where the monarch arrives to invite the ruler of Winterfell on the small council. 

Good job, you ran with the idea well.  If Euron had any sense, he'd be afraid of Qyburn.  Well, this Euron would.  Interesting idea with Dany and Sansa.  I'm sure the Ds were too busy working on the contrast and compare they have planned for Sansa taking care of the wives and children, a la Cersei in Blackwater.  Sadly, we'll be the ones needing:  MORE WINE!! 

5 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

I get why they are doing the battle at WF, even though it defies all in universe logic that anyone would march warm weather armies North instead of evacuate the Northerns to the South and make your stand below the neck where you've got logistics on your side. I'd be willing to suspend my disbelief on a stand at WF if it wasn't done so haphazardly.

But, the show doesn't even try anymore.  They simply do stuff and hope that the sheer stupidity or implausibility will be handwaved away by CGI, battles or a good scene.  But, things have devolved so much that there aren't even many good scenes anymore.  Everyone just sounds really stupid almost all the time.  The Brienne knighting scene, while no award winning dialogue there, at least was long enough that it felt realistic, which is why it got such a positive reaction from viewers.

I don t think anyone understands why the civilians weren t evacuated into the riverlands. That part makes no sense!

Just like it makes no sense to not man the Wall with everything they have. If the northerns want to save the north it had to be done at the Wall. Otherwise the dead can just invade the north and kill easy targets until the people in the protected areas run out of food...

And if the north falls the last hope for westeros is to stop the dead at the neck. Otherwise they can just spread through westeros and it would be impossible to kill them all. So it should make no sense to run from winterfell to dragonstone or any other place that isn t the twins or moat callin… By escaping to one of the islands they are letting the dead kill everybody in the north, riverlands, westerlands, vale… Are we supposed to believe that the army of the dead wont be unstopable if they have access to all these regions?

44 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

I really disliked Jon and Dany in the last episode.

Is it me or they are just so plain boring?

Why are they suppsed to be the heroes? 

I also disliked Sansa's armour and circle.

It’s not you, they’re uber boring. Yawn.

Also hated Sansa’s outfit, her collar and leash or whatever that is, it’s hideous. Dany’s was bad too. I think? I remember not linking it when I watched, but can’t remember what it looked like anymore. :lol:

That’s the thing w/ GoT, it’s so damn forgettable... 

41 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

I miss Meera so much.......

I’m actually pretty pissed off about Meera not being there. We have literally every character still alive there, minus Cersei and Qyburn (the Mountain doesn’t count), and they leave her out? WTF. Why? She actually belongs there, unlike several others. 

14 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I’m actually pretty pissed off about Meera not being there. We have literally every character still alive there, minus Cersei and Qyburn (the Mountain doesn’t count), and they leave her out? WTF. Why? She actually belongs there, unlike several others. 

I think the problem is that they decided to cut howland reed from the show because of reasons. And now they didn t know how to bring her back without her father...

But yes, I think these are 2 awful decisions...

Archived