Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

4 minutes ago, lakin1013 said:

How telling is it that we have to ask each other if a particular character lived or died (Ghost, Gendry).  Presumably we watched the episode and still have to ask .....

Really, that is perhaps the most telling point.  We can't even know for sure what happened, how hard is to be clear on the living and the dead?  MY GAWD!! 

Sansa is portrayed as a total coward, along with Tyrion. We have watched Sansa be competent as the lady of WF.  We have seen Sansa put on her hard face to ask Dany "what about the North?"   What about the North indeed!  We find Sansa hiding behind graves.  Surely she had time to fit in some sword practice during her time as the LofWF.  Arya gave her a sword. Lady Mormont picked up a sword.  Even Dany picked up a sword.  Sansa picked a headstone.  She is done in this story.  I don't care how she ends up, or what she gets from Dany re: the north.  She is not smart or brave at all.

Another gem from the OtE:

they talk a few times about “all the deaths”, and “all the characters who died”. Hmm. Who do they mean besides Edd, Jorah, Lyanna, and thousands of Dothraki redshirts?

54 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

LOL, well, that's nice that they followed their 'khaleesi' across the Narrow Sea, and into battle instead of staying safe in their own land, and all they got was death.  I can't wait for this terrible show to be over.  Looks like khals were right about her, she is a dangerous witch and they would have been better off if they'd killedher

I mean, we never got a reason why they shouldn't have put her to death after she used a brazier to kill all the khals. :P And hey, even the khals followed precedent by just offering to make her Dosh Khaleen... that is, before she threatened to kill them all. 

11 minutes ago, lakin1013 said:

Sansa is portrayed as a total coward, along with Tyrion. We have watched Sansa be competent as the lady of WF.  We have seen Sansa put on her hard face to ask Dany "what about the North?"   What about the North indeed!  We find Sansa hiding behind graves.  Surely she had time to fit in some sword practice during her time as the LofWF.  Arya gave her a sword. Lady Mormont picked up a sword.  Even Dany picked up a sword.  Sansa picked a headstone.  She is done in this story.  I don't care how she ends up, or what she gets from Dany re: the north.  She is not smart or brave at all.

This is the problem with Benioff & Weiss's scripting. The other writers have done some awful shit to her character, but at least has made her appear reasonable in appearing concerned about provisions, but D&D themselves? They can't even have her protect her people, comforting them as their liege lady, handing out food and stuff like that. Nope. If a character isn't martial they're pointless, I guess. 

I still want to say that Sansa has been pretty reasonable and intelligent the past few episodes, though. 

5 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Another gem from the OtE:

they talk a few times about “all the deaths”, and “all the characters who died”. Hmm. Who do they mean besides Edd, Jorah, Lyanna, and thousands of Dothraki redshirts?

Mel, Theon, and possibly Alys Karstark from when she disappeared from the Godswood. 

1 minute ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Well George must really not have seen this season's episodes when he made the recent comment that the ending won't differ too much from that in the books. Bloody hell, is it even possible to describe how bad this Show is?

Well, this is probably the ADOS "ending" in the loosest sense that humanity wins. We'll probably get the TWOW political ending the next 3 weeks, in the loosest sense of "who, if anyone, has their ass on that throne."

So Cersei was right not to get involved in the War against the Dead. In the end it didn't touch her. I guess according to D&D human political conflicts really were more important than saving humanity from being wiped out by an existential threat. This while George has made it clear that all the petty human squabbles are irrelevant in the face of the threat of the Others.

One nice thing is that the books don't even have the Night's King as a character. As far as we know the Others aren't all animated by a single godking who, when slain, will result in a "Hasta la Vista, baby" disintegration of all wights.

7 minutes ago, Vaith said:

Mel, Theon, and possibly Alys Karstark from when she disappeared from the Godswood. 

Alys? LOL

And even w/ Mel and Theon, doesn’t come anywhere near “all the deaths”, in the sense that the death toll was not that great. 

Just now, kissdbyfire said:

Alys? LOL

And even w/ Mel and Theon, doesn’t come anywhere near “all the deaths”, in the sense that the death toll was not that great. 

Apparently she was in the Godswood with Bran at the beginning of the ep, and vanished by the end when it was only him and the NK, so... who knows.

Yeah. It's 6 deaths in total, maximum, and Melisandre's was kind of a voluntary death once she had fulfilled her great purpose in life (at least in my reading). So very few characters, mostly tertiary, some secondary, and although Alfie Allen and Carice Van Houten appear in the opening credits... I wouldn't really call them "major characters." 

7 hours ago, Ser Drewy said:

This is a video game/Marvel movie. They turned ASOIAF into Marvel, ffs. 

I find this statement wholly unfair to Marvel.  I never leave a Marvel movie feeling like I've been actively insulted by the writers.

I haven't watched the episode yet, but find comfort in reading spoilers because it helps me judge how much alcohol I need in me before I click the play button tonight.  Sounds like I may need to make as top at the liquor store on the way home.

Can we take a moment between ranting about how shit the show's become to rant about how shit the fan theories have become?  First off, if I hear one more person tell me how "badass and awesome" Arya killing the NK was, I'm gonna choke a bitch.  Now, onto the theories:

Somebody told me last week that they know, 100%, that the Night King will survive and Cersei will marry him for the power, find a way to kill him/put him down and become the Night Queen.  WHAT?  Like seriously, WHAT?  At least this week's episode can crush their silly theory.

I've heard some other doozies, but that one hit me so wrong I wanted to grab the person and throw them against the nearest hard object over and over again until they stopped making noise.  Because that would be "badass and awesome!"

I've got an acquaintance that is literally getting all jittery over the show ending.  They've said things to me about how this is the greatest television show of all time, and they're not sure how they will survive when it ends.  Really?  I can get enjoying some of the spectacle a little, but how do you shut down enough of your brain to see it as the greatest show ever?  HOW?  Someone explain it to me because I'd love to be able to stop thinking that much.

I had so many people over the past few weeks tell me I must be smoking crack to think Cersei would be the ultimate big-bad because the show runners are in love with her.  Well, break out the pipes boys and girls, 'cause it's time for everybody to take a nice long pull from it.

I really hope George finishes the story at some point.  It'd be nice to find out what all the buildup was actually leading to, rather than this fanfic gone horribly wrong we're seeing on the show.

1 minute ago, Vaith said:

Apparently she was in the Godswood with Bran at the beginning of the ep, and vanished by the end when it was only him and the NK, so... who knows.

Yeah. It's 6 deaths in total, maximum, and Melisandre's was kind of a voluntary death once she had fulfilled her great purpose in life (at least in my reading). So very few characters, mostly tertiary, some secondary, and although Alfie Allen and Carice Van Houten appear in the opening credits... I wouldn't really call them "major characters." 

Yup, that’s my point. :)

Also, not sure if .i asked here or the other rant thread, but have we seen Pod, Tormund, Brienne, Jaime, Gendry, Sam (and others?) towards the end? I don’t remember seeing Gendry at all? Well, it was a struggle to see anything, but still. Jaime and Brienne last I saw were being totally overrun by wights?  

1 minute ago, Dragons Are Real said:

I find this statement wholly unfair to Marvel.  I never leave a Marvel movie feeling like I've been actively insulted by the writers.

I haven't watched the episode yet, but find comfort in reading spoilers because it helps me judge how much alcohol I need in me before I click the play button tonight.  Sounds like I may need to make as top at the liquor store on the way home.

Can we take a moment between ranting about how shit the show's become to rant about how shit the fan theories have become?  First off, if I hear one more person tell me how "badass and awesome" Arya killing the NK was, I'm gonna choke a bitch.  Now, onto the theories:

Somebody told me last week that they know, 100%, that the Night King will survive and Cersei will marry him for the power, find a way to kill him/put him down and become the Night Queen.  WHAT?  Like seriously, WHAT?  At least this week's episode can crush their silly theory.

I've heard some other doozies, but that one hit me so wrong I wanted to grab the person and throw them against the nearest hard object over and over again until they stopped making noise.  Because that would be "badass and awesome!"

I've got an acquaintance that is literally getting all jittery over the show ending.  They've said things to me about how this is the greatest television show of all time, and they're not sure how they will survive when it ends.  Really?  I can get enjoying some of the spectacle a little, but how do you shut down enough of your brain to see it as the greatest show ever?  HOW?  Someone explain it to me because I'd love to be able to stop thinking that much.

I had so many people over the past few weeks tell me I must be smoking crack to think Cersei would be the ultimate big-bad because the show runners are in love with her.  Well, break out the pipes boys and girls, 'cause it's time for everybody to take a nice long pull from it.

I really hope George finishes the story at some point.  It'd be nice to find out what all the buildup was actually leading to, rather than this fanfic gone horribly wrong we're seeing on the show.

Actually, that theory has morphed into "Euron is Bloodraven's failed protegé because of his eldritch stuff from the TWOW sample chapters, Euron and Cersei will be the new Night King and Queen." 

2 hours ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

This has been percolating in my mind for awhile now.  If the show had really ever done anything appropriate with the House of Black and White and Arya, they would have concentrated on how the Faceless Men would have been horrified at the idea of men and things that cannot die.  The Kindly Man (in the books) even says something to Arya once about how in all the world there aren't people that don't die, or defy Death unnaturally.  But the Ds never really grasped anything about that, anyway.  They thought the FM was all about just being an assassin.  No, it's also about certain ideology that goes with it. 

And the fact that you give up your identity.  So she was 'no man' after all.  I think in the books it's Robert Strong who can't be killed by a any man.  So I wonder if Brienne will dispatch him in the end.  If Arya has to give the gift of mercy to anyone, I'm guessing it will be Jon.  God I'm to starved for tWoW.

3 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Is it at all possible that in the next episode a few more deaths will be revealed? Like, they’re gonna show us that people died off screen? It’s so incredibly underwhelming, cheap, and stupid that it might just happen. :D

I doubt it. I didn't really expect any major characters to die against the WW. It seemed obvious that some of the minor name characters were kept alive well past their point to fill that role. And since they simplified the objectives of each side, the NK targeting Bran, and the living targeting the NK, it seemed likely everything else would get simplified as well. It was always inevitable that the living that survived the WW and wights would jump right back into the "game of thrones." Not sure what will happen in the books, but I suspect the "game of thrones" will claim the lives of a number of major characters.

Just now, kissdbyfire said:

Yup, that’s my point. :)

Also, not sure if .i asked here or the other rant thread, but have we seen Pod, Tormund, Brienne, Jaime, Gendry, Sam (and others?) towards the end? I don’t remember seeing Gendry at all? Well, it was a struggle to see anything, but still. Jaime and Brienne last I saw were being totally overrun by wights?  

I'm not sure if they were in the previews (I think some might have been) but if they were going to give that much time to Edd and Beric's deaths, they would've done the same for Brienne or Jaime. They were fine, even if they were overrun with 6 wights they have plot armour to protect them!

4 minutes ago, Vaith said:

I'm not sure if they were in the previews (I think some might have been) but if they were going to give that much time to Edd and Beric's deaths, they would've done the same for Brienne or Jaime. They were fine, even if they were overrun with 6 wights they have plot armour to protect them!

:lol:

And just to clarify, I don’t think they’re dead, but it would have been nice to see the main characters? A little bit? Instead of having super long scenes on whatever, to have given us a bit more on more characters. 

11 minutes ago, Vaith said:

Actually, that theory has morphed into "Euron is Bloodraven's failed protegé because of his eldritch stuff from the TWOW sample chapters, Euron and Cersei will be the new Night King and Queen." 

Yes, because the Night's King was never the original Other - he was a corrupted man later down the line.  If it plays out like that for book Euron and possibly Cersei, it's not quite the same stretch.

2 minutes ago, Ser Quork said:

Yes, because the Night's King was never the original Other - he was a corrupted man later down the line.  If it plays out like that for book Euron and possibly Cersei, it's not quite the same stretch.

Yes, but people are saying that this will happen to show Euron, who thus far has been depicted as just a rather lewd pirate. :P

Is it possible that Bran is just some kid who figured out he could roll his eyes back and act robotic around his family?  During the battle to save his home, he goes a'wargin cuz he is so all-seeing.  What if even the NK fell for his act and wanted to capture him to see what he knows.  What if :-- Bran Stark, You know nothing.

Archived