Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

7 hours ago, Ser Drewy said:

Anyone else find the piano music at the end cheesy and hilarious? 

I can't believe this is how they handled the 'song of ice and fire' conflict. It's hilariously bad. 

5 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

Yes, it was cheesy and hilarious. It didn't belong with the scene or the genre. Then again, none of the things that happened belonged, either. Everything was so random, might as well throw in the wrong music.

4 hours ago, Nowy Tends said:

This music was grotesque, completely out of place… Even Ramin Djawadi manages to create crap, now…  What a shipwreck :blink:

Yes, I found myself wondering why music from Westworld was playing?:D

1 hour ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

And yeah why are Sansa and Tyrion 'the leaders' hiding in a corner while tiny children and women not in battle armor are getting killed?

Why did every person in that crypt not have at least 1 obsidian dagger?

Yep.  We were explicitly told that Sansa is "the smartest person" and that Tyrion's big brain will be needed in the future.  And neither of them (or anyone else, for that matter) had the thought that it may be a bad idea to lock themselves into a place full of dead bodies when an enemy that, you know, can raise the dead was about to show up?! :rolleyes:

I gotta admit, though, I was a bit surprised that was even included or addressed.  I mean, I thought it was only logical that the dead in the crypts could possibly rise...so, of course, I didn't think it would even be thought of in the show.

19 minutes ago, Ser Quork said:

Yes, because the Night's King was never the original Other - he was a corrupted man later down the line.  If it plays out like that for book Euron and possibly Cersei, it's not quite the same stretch.

I think you will be disapointed...

At this point we know what will happen in the next 2 eps.

In ep 4 will be mouning the dead, regroup, form a plan to invade KL and set sail. And in kl we will have cersei and euron also making their preparations. The ep will end with they arriving in KL.

In ep 5 we will have a battle...

1 minute ago, TheCasualObserver said:

Wasn't this series supposed to have an anti-war message? Or an environmental message?

Or any message?

Well, 85% of Westeros's population was completely unaffected by the Others, it seems. Cersei can literally sit back and wait for them to finish it off. The Others seem to do literally nothing to threaten the balance of power or make the high lords reconsider their games, it's just a pause before Cersei and Dany can start fighting each other again. 

1 minute ago, TheCasualObserver said:

Wasn't this series supposed to have an anti-war message? Or an environmental message?

Or any message?

Since when? War, or war preempting treachery, has pretty much been the answer to all conflicts in the books and show. I think the books make it a point to show the horrors of war. But thus far, that hasn't slowed war down any. And all the environmental issues are based on magic.

3 minutes ago, Vaith said:

Well, 85% of Westeros's population was completely unaffected by the Others, it seems. Cersei can literally sit back and wait for them to finish it off. The Others seem to do literally nothing to threaten the balance of power or make the high lords reconsider their games, it's just a pause before Cersei and Dany can start fighting each other again. 

If they hadn t shown the wight in KL people wouldn t even belive in the ww...

4 minutes ago, TheCasualObserver said:

Or any message?

Message?  Hmm...that's a great question.  Maybe "Creatively it made sense to us, because we wanted it to happen"?  Or maybe "Oooooh, shiny!"  Or maybe "Shut off your brain, sit back, and enjoy!" :dunno:

1 minute ago, divica said:

I think you will be disapointed…

Disappointed about what?  I'm not making any predictions - just pointing out that it's not completely potty to think book Euron could be another Night's King (because the book Night's King was supposed to be just a man, not a supernatural creature) but impossible for show Euron to be a new Night King  (unless there are any CotF to perform the magic … which there aren't).

Will the future legends of Westeros tell of the Short Night and the trials of the new last hero and her arduous task of running really fast and sneaky through Winterfell to shank an ice man ending the threat before almost every person on the continent knew it was happening. 

1 hour ago, lakin1013 said:

Sansa is portrayed as a total coward, along with Tyrion. We have watched Sansa be competent as the lady of WF.  We have seen Sansa put on her hard face to ask Dany "what about the North?"   What about the North indeed!  We find Sansa hiding behind graves.  Surely she had time to fit in some sword practice during her time as the LofWF.  Arya gave her a sword. Lady Mormont picked up a sword.  Even Dany picked up a sword.  Sansa picked a headstone.  She is done in this story.  I don't care how she ends up, or what she gets from Dany re: the north.  She is not smart or brave at all.

That's what happens when you have different writers for each episode instead of a cohesive group of writers. None of the characters were consistent this episode then with ep 1 or 2. They might, MIGHT, seem more consistent from this episode forward, based on the fact that D&D are the only ones writing again. But that doesn't mean the characters will be consistent with anything from season 1, or season 7, or even the first two episodes.

The first flip-flop that stood out to me as making a massive 180 dive was Samwell. Episode 2 he was the brave Night's Watchman who verbally lashed at his friends that he was more/just as accomplished than they were, listing off all of his battles he has won. This is why he wanted to stay up top and not down in the crypts. But in virtually no time flat, when this battle broke out the showrunners and authors had Samwell Tarly laying on his back like a helpless turtle.

37 minutes ago, TheCasualObserver said:

Or any message?

Yes, the book canon does include that message. The constant petty wars are not the answer and that unity is.

In general, issues with the real world environment are not some trendy 2000's idea. This issue has been real for decades now. As are other elements like corporate greed, feminism, truth vs history, religious zealotry.

As GRRM describes at the TusCon 43 event a few years ago, the current environmental (and governmental) issues are not direct parables in his storytelling, but these issues do play a role on his influence. He was and a SciFi writer and that is a huge theme that reflects not how cool technology is in the future, but rather the future reflects the mistakes of past (current) generations. It was a major undercurrent in his Tuff Voyaging series.

GRRM: I'm not an "American First" (and maybe because I read science fiction) I'm a "Terran First". I'm a human being first. And I have this sympathy for other human beings no matter what side of the giant ice wall they happen to be born on.

Just now, Free Northman Reborn said:

So what was the actual point of Jon? Was there a single battle he was not rescued in?

He is the greatest underachiever in the Show and yet DD expect us to feel he is a hero of some kind?

Based on what?

I had the same questions with friends last night. And I also wondered what was the purpose of his dying and being brought back on the show... by supposedly the Lord of Light? He did nothing. He played peek-a-boo with a wighted dragon, and the magic of NK had zero effect on Jon- just nothing means nothing.

But apparently in the Behind the episode (the stuff that should be shown in episode), the showrunners thought it was a better idea to switch to Arya as the savior because Jon (or Dany?) seemed too obvious. So :dunno:

28 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

That's what happens when you have different writers for each episode instead of a cohesive group of writers. None of the characters were consistent this episode then with ep 1 or 2. They might, MIGHT, seem more consistent from this episode forward, based on the fact that D&D are the only ones writing again. But that doesn't mean the characters will be consistent with anything from season 1, or season 7, or even the first two episodes.

The first flip-flop that stood out to me as making a massive 180 dive was Samwell. Episode 2 he was the brave Night's Watchman who verbally lashed at his friends that he was more/just as accomplished than they were, listing off all of his battles he has won. This is why he wanted to stay up top and not down in the crypts. But in virtually no time flat, when this battle broke out the showrunners and authors had Samwell Tarly laying on his back like a helpless turtle.

Come on. Arya was bragging that she wanted to meet this new face of death last ep and in this she kills the NK! Seriously?

That was the worst build up ever! Is like I am so good I have nothing to fear from the big bad monsters everyone is afraid. Then the next ep she kills the biggest monster ever proving her arrogance was right...

AWFUL!

7 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

So what was the actual point of Jon? Was there a single battle he was not rescued in?

He is the greatest underachiever in the Show and yet DD expect us to feel he is a hero of some kind?

Based on what?

His purpose is tension with Dany--obviously.

That's why they melded him with fAegon and melded Dany with Val.

Real answer? No idea what they intend to do with him. Or why/how his being undead himself was remotely helpful to the plot/purpose/etc.

Big resurrection! Little show.

Question:

NK raised dead from the battle and dead in the crypts.

So: where were Lyanna, Brandon, and Rickard? Rickon? Completely Headless Ned?

The newest crypt corpses just get to sleep in?

Did I miss them in the darkness, or did D&D not include them because they didn't want to pay the Rickon actor any more money?

1 minute ago, divica said:

Come on. Arya was bragging that she wanted to meet this new face of death last ep and in this she kills the NK! Seriously?

That was the worst build up ever! Is like I am so good I have nothing to fear from the big bad monsters everyone is afraid. Then the next ep she kills the biggest monster ever proving her arrogance was right...

AWFUL!

Arya is my second favorite Stark in the books. Bran is the first by far. So what the show has done to Arya on screen is an abomination to the source material. They made her in to the uber-ninja she is because creatively it made sense to them because they wanted it to happen. Literally. That's it. They decided three years ago to take Arya this way. This was after Mel looked in to Arya's eyes and gave the "brown, green, blue" speech. Mel should have seen then that Stannis wasn't the chosen one, but she didn't. Mel followed Stannis until the end, burning his child, all for what? To pull a switcheroo and make Arya the something that was promised.

Archived