Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

21 minutes ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

One thing I thought was sort of cool was when down in the Crypt, Sansa is STILL talking petty trash about Dany (because Sansa's whole purpose now seems to be to stir up problems where there are none). And Missandei shut her the fuck down, loved it.

Oh yeah, I loved that. Team Missandei.

Sandra: I must be with my people! (Ignores her people and props up the only other noble there.)

2 minutes ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

Have you seen Breaking Bad? The Sopranos? the Wire? Deadwood? GOT doesn't compare

I'd add a few UK series (Black Mirror, Utopia), but I still think GoT was fantastic until S5… 

Unfortunately it seems impossible to explain to a fan why and how a series is now crap for retarded…

12 minutes ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

My Twitter feed is blowing the fuck up with how much everyone loved it. Especially Arya, they LOVED IT.

I have a hard time because how can you look at a show like this with such bad writing, etc. and say it's the best show of all time? Have you seen Breaking Bad? The Sopranos? the Wire? Deadwood? GOT doesn't compare

Are you serious?

I feel like I want to cal people stupid!

2 minutes ago, Nowy Tends said:

I'd add a few UK series (Black Mirror, Utopia), but I still think GoT was fantastic until S5… 

Unfortunately it seems impossible to explain to a fan why and how a series is now crap for retarded…

This ep was bad for anyone with a brain that cares about either the show or book! I know this isn t the place but I feel this is TLJ all over again...

Just now, Nowy Tends said:

Yes. Not a single word to the frightened children in the crypts… 

5 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Oh yeah, I loved that. Team Missandei.

Sandra: I must be with my people! (Ignores her people and props up the only other noble there.)

Yeah I really couldnt believe my eyes when Tyrion and Sansa were hiding in the corner, what in the world?

Like was said earlier, even Dany grabbed a sword and didn't play the helpless chick-to-be-saved-by-a-man role. But good lord! How can Tyrion and Sansa ever hold their heads up again? That was the most shameful cowardly shit I have EVER SEEN!!!!

2 minutes ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

Yeah I really couldnt believe my eyes when Tyrion and Sansa were hiding in the corner, what in the world?

Like was said earlier, even Dany grabbed a sword and didn't play the helpless chick-to-be-saved-by-a-man role. But good lord! How can Tyrion and Sansa ever hold their heads up again? That was the most shameful cowardly shit I have EVER SEEN!!!!

Right?  And the two brainiacs are not only cowering behind the door, but instead of using their big brains to try and problem solve, theyre yapping about their marriage?  This was the worst episode in a LONG time for the show, and in terms of ruining the overall story, character development, plot, maybe the single worse episode.

14 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

It's always depressing when Benioff plays to the lowest common denominator of fan service and always fucking succeeds. There may have been a way that Arya kills the NK that made at least a little sense, but this wasn't it.  Why is Jon Snow even alive?  He's useless.  All Dany has done now for 2 seasons is get more and more of her own people killed for no reason.  

This ep they literally said that the lord of light brought beric back to save arya. So why the hell did he bring jon back? As the dead are killid now does it mean he will die? Is it important for r'hllor who sits on the IT? Like r'hllor cares for the ruller of westeros but essos can do whatever it likes?

The more I think the more last season feel like TLJ. Like every arc of the heroes shows how pointless their actions are!

hunt a wight to show cersei? useless

become the 3er? useless

jon coming back? useless

sansa storyline? useless

danny's dragons? useless

dorne and highgarden? useless

food shortage? useless

This is one of the most disappointing episodes of the series for me, I am amazed that more people don't see how Arya killing the NK undercuts and destroys much of Jon and Dany's stories.  And now we  have 50% of the final season back to War of the Roses  Cersei nonsense, where magic is unimportant. 

20 minutes ago, Nowy Tends said:

Killing Eve's a great series. I watched it this morning after getting over GoT, and I was stunned at how they use things like... oh, basic cinematography and symbolism to build these great stories and characters. 

5 minutes ago, divica said:

This ep they literally said that the lord of light brought beric back to save arya. So why the hell did he bring jon back? As the dead are killid now does it mean he will die? Is it important for r'hllor who sits on the IT? Like r'hllor cares for the ruller of westeros but essos can do whatever it likes?

The more I think the more last season feel like TLJ. Like every arc of the heroes shows how pointless their actions are!

hunt a wight to show cersei? useless

become the 3er? useless

jon coming back? useless

sansa storyline? useless

danny's dragons? useless

dorne and highgarden? useless

food shortage? useless

As someone that does a lot of writing himself, and does copious amounts of note taking and plot-threading before getting into the nitty-gritty of the story, I'd be curious to see if the Ds even have a basic character bible, or any sort of notes about plot and character dynamics, of they literally just go, "fuck it, put this stupid shit here and light it up.  Let's get this over with."

I think they may start with an intention of making each of the actions you mention mean something at some point down the line, but they forget what they've laid out the second the episode ends and start back at square one with each new episode.

And I'm in full agreement with the others wondering how anyone can see this as the greatest show of all time.  It was good for the first few seasons, maybe bordering on great at times, but if you look objectively at anything post season four as anything other than mediocre at absolute best, you're... well, I can't really say without coming across like a giant ass.

1 minute ago, Dragons Are Real said:

As someone that does a lot of writing himself, and does copious amounts of note taking and plot-threading before getting into the nitty-gritty of the story, I'd be curious to see if the Ds even have a basic character bible, or any sort of notes about plot and character dynamics, of they literally just go, "fuck it, put this stupid shit here and light it up.  Let's get this over with."

I think they may start with an intention of making each of the actions you mention mean something at some point down the line, but they forget what they've laid out the second the episode ends and start back at square one with each new episode.

And I'm in full agreement with the others wondering how anyone can see this as the greatest show of all time.  It was good for the first few seasons, maybe bordering on great at times, but if you look objectively at anything post season four as anything other than mediocre at absolute best, you're... well, I can't really say without coming across like a giant ass.

They say they were planning to have Arya kill the NK for THREE YEARS!  And, yet, there is nothing in the show that even in hindsight foreshadows this, they gave her a chance to get some intel when she talks to Gendry, but he's got nothing.  Neither Mel nor Bran give her any intel. She might have had some convos with the kindly man in Braavos about the long night or something....but there is nothing at all to prepare the story for Arya jumping the line and making AA and the promised prince(ss) completely moot.  

7 minutes ago, Dragons Are Real said:

I'd be curious to see if the Ds even have a basic character bible, or any sort of notes about plot and character dynamics, of they literally just go, "fuck it, put this stupid shit here and light it up.  Let's get this over with."

Agreed. This season gives me the impression that the story is written 10 minutes before the start of shooting…

3 minutes ago, Ser Drewy said:

Why am I seeing articles and comments basically calling anyone who hates the Arya stuff as being a sexist manbaby? Ugh, are we seriously not 'allowed' to dislike bad writing just because it elevates a female character? 

There are articles about it already? Do they a logical reason for it to be arya alone to kil the NK given what jon, bran and danny arcs these last seasons have been?

4 women in my office just walked over to my desk and we had a 20 minute Rant about how stupid that episode was and this season in general is just ruining the whole series for them, they asked me if it was worth it to read the books----lol that's a big "fuck yes! Def read the books!"

Mainly everyone agrees that while it was 'cool' for Arya to kill the NK, it just made no sense.

They were yelling "What is the point of Jon!?!" which I completely agree with, he has no purpose.

why did the show have Missandei point out that the prophecy could refer to a man or a woman?........oh D&D dont mean to say that Arya is TptwP do they?  cuz I can't deal with that

26 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

They say they were planning to have Arya kill the NK for THREE YEARS!  And, yet, there is nothing in the show that even in hindsight foreshadows this, they gave her a chance to get some intel when she talks to Gendry, but he's got nothing.  Neither Mel nor Bran give her any intel. She might have had some convos with the kindly man in Braavos about the long night or something....but there is nothing at all to prepare the story for Arya jumping the line and making AA and the promised prince(ss) completely moot.  

That would ruin the “OMFG did you see that, so badass!!!” moment, and those moments are GoT’s sole purpose. It’s sad, but it’s the truth. That’s why every single character arc and plot line feels so disjointed. 

Someone should tell them that disjointed asspulls are not great twists, only cheap cheats that only talentless “writers” use. 

This ep is like if Walt had died of a stroke at the diner and the Aryans had burned down their own compound by accident.  The ending would be the same, Walt is dead, Aryans are dead and Jessie is free, but it would have been totally devoid of any meaning or closure for the story.  

36 minutes ago, Ser Drewy said:

Why am I seeing articles and comments basically calling anyone who hates the Arya stuff as being a sexist manbaby? Ugh, are we seriously not 'allowed' to dislike bad writing just because it elevates a female character? 

I have seen this start to crop up as well. And not just for Arya, but for Melisandre as well. If you don't think Melisandre and her visions are not an oddball retcon (because they are), if you don't think Melisandre was the MVP of the episode (she wasn't), if you don't think Melisandre chose her own death (as opposed to being a slave of show R'hllor, and it cut her magic life off when it was done with her (her ruby turned "off")), then you are just a "hater".

5 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I have seen this start to crop up as well. And not just for Arya, but for Melisandre as well. If you don't think Melisandre and her visions are not an oddball retcon (because they are), if you don't think Melisandre was the MVP of the episode (she wasn't), if you don't think Melisandre chose her own death (as opposed to being a slave of show R'hllor, and it cut her magic life off when it was done with her (her ruby turned "off")), then you are just a "hater".

Choosing her own death does kind of fit with book Mel, at least a little. "One day, Melisandre prayed, she would not sleep at all. One day she would be free of dreams." She seems like she does want to die after she fulfils her purpose. 

Archived