Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

9 minutes ago, divica said:

But seriously. They had jon being killed and ressurected, lose the BoB without sansa, he would die without danny and benjen in the wight hunt and in the final battle he doesn t even get to do anything?

How can someone think this makes sense? They just made him one of the most useless characters I can think of. Only beaten by bran...

I know this is off topic, but I have to stand up for Jon a little. The only reason Jon fought the BOB when he did was because Sansa wouldn't tell him about the knights of the vale. She essentially rescued a situation she herself ruined.

Not that Jon isn't a massive dumbass. If he hadn't led the wight hunt north of the vale and sent Podrick for help, the NK would be stuck beyond the wall for the rest of history without a dragon. In the end he completely fucked everything up and his little sister had to bail him out.

17 minutes ago, divica said:

But seriously. They had jon being killed and ressurected, lose the BoB without sansa, he would die without danny and benjen in the wight hunt and in the final battle he doesn t even get to do anything?

How can someone think this makes sense? They just made him one of the most useless characters I can think of. Only beaten by bran...

Jon got to do two things.  First, he got to almost get his own dragon killed.  Then he got to scream like a petulant child at the ice dragon.  Such wonders.

You can almost feel the D's hatred of the character pouring off the screen.

2 minutes ago, Dragons Are Real said:

Jon got to do two things.  First, he got to almost get his own dragon killed.  Then he got to scream like a petulant child at the ice dragon.  Such wonders.

But why? why spend years creating this stand of between jon and the NK so that there isn t any kind of resolution… Why does lyanna mormont get to kill a giant when no one else killed anything special?

They just wasted the ability to kill ww and a dragon! why??

2 hours ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

LOL  That was The Onion, though, a fake satirical publication.  Not that one can;t find some interesting quotes from actors past and present.  I'm too brain damaged from the last episode to remember half of them right now.  With luck, it's only temporary, the damage they've done. 

Hey, thanks for cluing me in. I guess i walked into that one.

6 minutes ago, Dragons Are Real said:

For all they hate Jon, they could have at least not bent over backwards to make him legitimate, as well as giving him the name Aegon. Why even make him ""the legitimate heir"" at all if he bores them so much. :P

8 minutes ago, Vaith said:

For all they hate Jon, they could have at least not bent over backwards to make him legitimate, as well as giving him the name Aegon. Why even make him ""the legitimate heir"" at all if he bores them so much. :P

Why did that even matter? 

It was a story arc completly wasted! They did nothing with that revelation...

2 minutes ago, divica said:

Why did that even matter? 

It was a story arc completly wasted! They did nothing with that revelation...

I wouldn't count that out actually, in spite of all the threads they've dropped. It's probably going to be something for Jon and Dany to discuss next episode.

Maybe he'll actually tell Sansa and Arya too, aka people more important than his life than Dany. 

14 minutes ago, Leticia Stark said:

D&D hate everyone that isn't named Sansa Stark, apparently.

I roll my eyes every time a character tell us how smart Sansa is.

I have yet to see how D&D supposedly love Sansa. It was other writers who had Arya praise her... this episode she did nothing but needlessly praise Tyrion instead of comforting her own people in the crypts... like she did during the Blackwater when they were her enemies instead of her subjects. 

Plus, you can't like Sansa Stark and simultaneously make the Marriage Strike of Season 5 happen. :P

8 minutes ago, Vaith said:

I wouldn't count that out actually, in spite of all the threads they've dropped. It's probably going to be something for Jon and Dany to discuss next episode.

Maybe he'll actually tell Sansa and Arya too, aka people more important than his life than Dany. 

What is the point? He loves Danny, he doesn t Wan t the IT and Danny kept her word to help the north. 

Does it make any sense that he will use his parentage to try to get the IT from Danny? No. We know there are only 2 real eps remaining and 1 is a battle against Cersei... There is no time... 

On 4/29/2019 at 2:51 PM, Le Cygne said:

Sandra: I must be with my people! (Ignores her people and props up the only other noble there.)

The reason why the battle had to go on so long, with many thousands killed, rather than just ending it with sending Arya to do away with the NK is there had to be enough time for St. Tyrion and Sandra to do another scene together.

The Unsullied weren't really covering the army's retreat. They fought so hard to give St. Tyrion and Sandra more time.

35 minutes ago, Feather Crystal said:

My apologies if this has been shared already. It's a military tactical analysis of the Battle of Winterfell, by Angry Staff Officer.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to reading.  I love the disdain of GOT battle tactics (confront enemy head on, hack at them until your done? haha) in the first paragraph.  This should be fun, and accurate, LOL 

More articles:

As Melisandre has always warned us, “the night is dark and full of terrors.” That was definitely true of one of the most anticipated episodes in television history, Game of Thrones‘ “The Long Night,” but not for all of the right reasons. This was the longest battle ever filmed and it took 55 grueling days and over 750 people on screen to make it, and most of the time it was too dark to even see all those terrors. But more importantly, the ending of the Great War made most of the show’s history and lore irrelevant...

But if you have invested in the history and lore behind the story, it was an anti-climactic end that didn’t invert fantasy tropes in classic George R.R. Martin style. For all of the talk about the Prince That Was Promised, the secret that was Jon’s birth, and Bran’s knowledge of the past, none of that mattered in actually defeating the Night King. It didn’t matter Jon was the son of ice and fire. All of Bran’s powers and memories of the past weren’t even relevant, as he sat there useless all night. The mere fact he was the Three-Eyed Raven was all that mattered, not his abilities. Forget a payoff to those arcs going back thousands of years; Arya was able to run by all of the White Walkers to kill a monster who had survived for thousands of years, all with a quick stab to the stomach. Arya killing the Night King was amazing to behold, but it felt somewhat hollow without payoff to the story’s history...

The episode also kept cutting away from exciting moments in what appeared to be an attempt to keep our interests in the rest of the battle, but that undercut the tension of those scenes. Jon chased after the Night King on foot as new wights arose, and that’s when the show cut away. The same thing happened with Jorah and Daenerys when they were trapped. By leaving them right at the climax of their scenes, the episode lessened the horror of the moment. It was like the episode kept saying, “Where’s Poochie?” when we just wanted to get to the fireworks factory...

Game of Thrones spent over seven seasons building to this battle, from the show’s very first scene, and right up until the end it felt like almost anything was possible. The one thing we didn’t see coming though (when we could see at all) was how little everything that preceded the Great war would factor into how it ended. It was like the Battle of Winterfell took place in a vacuum, whether that’s how you watched it or not.

https://nerdist.com/article/game-of-thrones-long-night-battle-winterfell-review/

And another:

Game of Thrones Is So Bad Now Even the Dragons Are Shitty and Boring

...As has been pointed out extensively, this week’s was one of the most visually murky episodes in the history of the series. It’s often unclear who’s on each dragon, or who’s winning when they eventually clash in mid-air. So much of the dragons’ relative effectiveness hinges on whether or not the CGI does them justice. In the past, much of the dragons’ on-screen power has come from them appearing to be physically intimidating. In this case, though, I would have rather been checking in on Sansa or Ser Davos than suffering through these three dark, smudgy blobs rushing around on screen.

When the Night King’s ice dragon finally pulls up on Jon, there’s no tension. Jon has a history of escaping sticky situations in some of the series’ biggest battles (think: “Hardhome,” “Battle of the Bastards”) and he does so again here. George R.R. Martin taught us early on that there’s a price to pay for being too virtuous in a world defined by artifice and treachery; if he were running the show, Jon would have likely learned that lesson the hard way. But in the drawn-out scene where Jon and Viserion essentially play hide and seek, it’s only a matter of time before Jon resolves to put his life on the line, activating his impenetrable plot armor before the conflict comes to its inevitable end. How does he avoid getting torched by blue fire, like, three times? Lame!

Somehow, Game of Thrones has managed to sap the fun from its depiction of dragons, which speaks volumes about how far it’s fallen. That Jon and Dany make terrible use of them as weapons is only part of the problem. The larger issue is that “The Long Night” dramatically readjusts our conception of dragons as these imposing engines of destruction, framing them more as explicitly ineffective trifles — something to keep Jon and Dany busy while more important things happen elsewhere.

https://www.spin.com/2019/04/game-of-thrones-battle-of-winterfell-the-long-night-review-dragons/

Since the looming eternal winter has now been defeated, are we ever going to see anything more than sleet in King's Landing? 

KL looked particularly pleasant in the preview. Cheryl's even changed out her black furs for warmer colours again! Good job that the personification of winter + death touched nobody south of the Neck after a pretty short, mild winter. 

4 hours ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

The more I think about it, the more I think perhaps their Kit jealousy issues run deeper than first thought.  All the short jokes in the world, the terrible makeup job of scars to disfigure his body beyond belief, the continual dumbing down of Jon Snow really doesn't do much to ease their envy.  After all, none of that really takes his ethereal beauty, terrific hair, and more important, decent personality away from him.  They really are pathetic little boys. 

For a while now, I've been wondering why they gave him that weird Last Samurai hairdo. He looked much cooler with the tussled locks look.

3 hours ago, Vaith said:

I have yet to see how D&D supposedly love Sansa. It was other writers who had Arya praise her... this episode she did nothing but needlessly praise Tyrion instead of comforting her own people in the crypts... like she did during the Blackwater when they were her enemies instead of her subjects. 

Plus, you can't like Sansa Stark and simultaneously make the Marriage Strike of Season 5 happen. :P

Exactly. Thank you for pointing that out so perfectly.

1 hour ago, Sandor Is Kane said:

For a while now, I've been wondering why they gave him that weird Last Samurai hairdo. He looked much cooler with the tussled locks look.

Kit has the same beautiful type of locks that the man in your avi had.  :wub:

3 hours ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

Thanks, I'm looking forward to reading.  I love the disdain of GOT battle tactics (confront enemy head on, hack at them until your done? haha) in the first paragraph.  This should be fun, and accurate, LOL 

Jon is certainly not Napoleon.

OTOH, very few film and TV producers seem to come up with sensible battle tactics.  Standard tactics include:-

1. Cavalry charging pointlessly into the night to get slaughtered

2. Cavalry charging pointlessly against fortifications to get slaughtered

3. Semi-naked gladiators charging at armoured soldiers

4.  Armies advancing in formation against each other, before deciding to break formation and duel each other individually, for some reason

5.  Building a broad, level road, up to the main gate of your mountain stronghold, making it easy for your enemies to attack it with a battering ram

6.  Ordering your archers to shoot indiscriminately at your own men and the enemy

7.   Advancing into a deep forest or ravine without deploying scouts and outriders

8. Not bothering with a moat when building a castle.

9.  Not telling your commanding officer that there are a couple of thousand allied knights in the vicinity, riding to join him, before he commits his army to battle

10. Charging oncoming cavalry on foot

etc. Etc.

3 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Jon is certainly not Napoleon.

OTOH, very few film and TV producers seem to come up with sensible battle tactics.  Standard tactics include:-

1. Cavalry charging pointlessly into the night to get slaughtered

2. Cavalry charging pointlessly against fortifications to get slaughtered

3. Semi-naked gladiators charging at armoured soldiers

4.  Armies advancing in formation against each other, before deciding to break formation and duel each other individually, for some reason

5.  Building a broad, level road, up to the main gate of your mountain stronghold, making it easy for your enemies to attack it with a battering ram

6.  Ordering your archers to shoot indiscriminately at your own men and the enemy

7.   Advancing into a deep forest or ravine without deploying scouts and outriders

8. Not bothering with a moat when building a castle.

9.  Not telling your commanding officer that there are a couple of thousand allied knights in the vicinity, riding to join him, before he commits his army to battle

10. Charging oncoming cavalry on foot

etc. Etc.

Let's not forget that the Dothraki had completely normal, i.e. pointless weapons, before Melisandre lit them on fire. Dany's first line of defense literally could not have worked without a Red Priestess showing up. 

Archived